PDA

View Full Version : My BiL and nephew accidental shooting. Prayers.

Duzy
03-02-2014, 09:49 PM
My BiL and nephew were in bass pro in OKC yesterday, my BiL decided to try out a new holster for his new Glock (he has chl). They both went into the dressing room to see how the holster fit under his jeans, he put the Glock 9mm on the bench in the dressing room and proceeded to take his current holster off. The boy is 5 years and he picked up the Glock and fired it. The boy apparently held the barrel end with his left hand, and the pistol grip with his right. The bullet struck my nephew in the left thumb, then hit my BiL in the thigh just above the knee, then grazed his other thigh, it didn't hit any bone or major vessels on my BiL. The bullet was hollow point self-defense type. Both were taken to a major hospital in OKC, my BiL was treated and released, my nephew required a 4 hour surgery to save his thumb. They should both recover physically, but the mental toll seems huge at this point.

Let's be very careful with our handguns folks, it only takes a careless second to change a life forever, or end a life.

Bored1
03-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Sorry to hear about this, I hope both recover quickly!

Big Boomer
03-02-2014, 10:03 PM
So sorry for adult and child. We cannot be careful enough. Those old sayings regarding safety can't be repeated too often. Big Boomer

Handloader109
03-02-2014, 10:06 PM
I hope they both quickly recover. Having said that, a person with ccl, no scratch that, anyone with guns, especially loaded handguns and children in house, should be training said children never to touch a gun unless adult tells them to and is present. Your nephew should not have touched let alone picked up that weapon. 5yr old is able to understand this. Sorry I might be coming off harsh, but you bil,or the chld could be dead right now.

Duzy
03-02-2014, 10:09 PM
I hope they both quickly recover. Having said that, a person with ccl, no scratch that, anyone with guns, especially loaded handguns and children in house, should be training said children never to touch a gun unless adult tells them to and is present. Your nephew should not have touched let alone picked up that weapon. 5yr old is able to understand this. Sorry I might be coming off harsh, but you bil,or the chld could be dead right now.

I couldn't agree more.

starmac
03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
I am super glad they will be allright, but Handloader is 1000% right and bil should not have let it out of sight if he hasn't taught the kid to not touch it. both got a hard lesson, that probably won't be repeated by either one. This could have turned out way worse, thankfully no one was killed or someone outside the dressing room was hit either.

KLR
03-02-2014, 10:18 PM
I couldn't agree more.

+1...

MrWolf
03-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Aye agree with the others. Prayers everything works out but that was preventable and something to learn from. God forbid that bullet had hit another person and the media attention it would have generated.

MtGun44
03-03-2014, 12:32 AM
Glad that they survived, guns are seriously dangerous tools.

An old saying comes to mind: Since it is impossible to childproof a gun, you must gun-proof your child.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Ya'll be careful out there, kids need to understand guns and
be taught exactly what to do and not do, ASAP.

Bill

LUBEDUDE
03-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Glad to hear such a potential tragedy ended fairly well. Tough lesson to learn though. Hopefully one that all of us can learn from.

MaryB
03-03-2014, 02:06 AM
Hope everyone recovers soon. And why why why was the 5 year old not taught to leave guns alone? My nephews were taught from the age of 3 on to not touch a gun in my house. They both took gun safety courses at 5 years old and now in their 20's they still visit but now with their kids. And I am teaching their kids the very same thing. Pick up a gun in my house without permission and you will get paddled hard.

captaint
03-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Wow. I'm so glad there were no more serious injuries that what they had. That could have been so very sad. As it is, this turns out to be a "learn a lesson" thing. I do agree with all that has been said. I have to wonder, though, if a 1911 style safety would have made a difference ??
Great that no one lost their life here. Hope the nephew is able to use his thumb OK and the Uncle makes out well. Mike

schutzen
03-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Prayers for your BIL and nephew. Hopefully we all can remember a brief lesson from this. Never test or check out a holster with a loaded pistol. I can remember 5 incidents of people testing holsters for fit or comfort that resulted in a accidental discharges. Three resulted in sever embarrassment, one resulted in a very sore foot, but the other resulted in a crippled foot for life (full charge SD JHP hit concrete floor and splattered in foot).

Again, prayers that all involved heal both physically and mentally.

CastingFool
03-04-2014, 01:07 PM
I hate to hear stuff like this, not only for the pain and suffering of the people involved, but to the fact that it gives more "ammo" to the gun banners. Praying for a quick recovery with no physical or mental after effects on both the BIL and nephew.

Spawn-Inc
03-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Glad everyone is okay, but that's was oh so preventable...

Rick Hodges
03-04-2014, 01:36 PM
All it takes is a second of carelessness or inattention. I hope they all recover completely.

Col4570
03-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Loaded Glock on the Bench with the safety catch off.Why?.Good job the Child was not severely injured or killed.A lesson for all of us.

338RemUltraMag
03-04-2014, 01:56 PM
So many should haves here, may they recover quickly. This is a prime example as to why children at an EXTREMELY young age should be desensitized to guns. They should be around them, see them, look at them, hold them if supervised (or age appropriate say 3+) my 4 yo doesn't even glance at a firearm let alone touch it, now if I ask her about them she LOVES guns and will ask all kinds of questions, including can we go to the range.

Point here is the best medicine is desensitization of the children, I will bet that the BIL kept his guns away from and or just said "dont touch" this creates a curiosity for the child and any quick moment you are distracted they will be a child and discover the gun themselves. This is how kids shoot each other by "looking" at firearms.

Anyway, rant off and I HONESTLY will pray for the recovery of all involved.

FISH4BUGS
03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
My Dad was a 25 year Military Police Commander and always had a 45 cocked and locked everywhere he went, and in the house. We knew better than to touch it. If we wanted to see it, he would unload it and show it to us. To do otherwise risked a spanking that no one would want to ever suffer. We learned and learned well.
It only takes a second of inattention. I still have a 22 bullet in my leg from an old Ruger 22 that I SWORE was unloaded.....it even didn't have the clip in it so it MUST have been unloaded, right?
WRONG!

garym1a2
03-04-2014, 03:57 PM
While I am a big Glock fan, in some cases a safety is a helpful addition.

FISH4BUGS
03-04-2014, 05:38 PM
I am not a pistol user, having only one: A S&W 3914 in 9mm. DA/SA 9mm. I shoot revolvers only.
What is it about the Glocks that makes it have so many AD's?
I see it all the time. Headline: "Cop shoots self in leg" "Roomate shot with Glock by accident"
Can someone explain?

Recluse
03-04-2014, 07:47 PM
My BiL and nephew were in bass pro in OKC yesterday, my BiL decided to try out a new holster for his new Glock (he has chl). They both went into the dressing room to see how the holster fit under his jeans, he put the Glock 9mm on the bench in the dressing room and proceeded to take his current holster off.

My first question was why the hell didn't BIL unload the gun if he was going to be trying out a different/new holster?

In flying, we have an understanding that the rules of aeronautics are written in the blood of less careful men.

The rules of safe gun-handling and ownership are likewise written in the blood of less careful men.

:coffee:

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-04-2014, 09:18 PM

FISH4BUGS
03-04-2014, 09:51 PM
OK...that makes absolutely no sense whatsover from a safety point of view. If you are going to pull the trigger on a Glock, how can you NOT depress the safety? Yeah, I know.....top of the trigger and the sides won't depress the trigger....but who in the heck has done that? You pull the trigger from the middle or lower part anyway.....
I don't get it....I'll stick with revolvers.

leeggen
03-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Not to be unfeeling in this but did the hp open up or just stay in original form??? Hope both heal phisically and mentally, it will take time and help.
CD

fatelk
03-05-2014, 01:34 AM
Hope they both heal well; it could have been so much worse, so very much worse so easily.

Everyone has their "shoulda', woulda', coulda's" after something like this, but then again that's kind of how it should be. No disrespect intended towards the dad in this case, but I'm sure he'll be on his knees thanking the Almighty every day of his life that it wasn't worse (I would be). There's plenty he should have done different, and I suspect he knows that real well.

Even if the thumb heals well it will likely never be the same. I had my thumb crushed in a pickup door about that age. It healed fine and never bothered me until now several decades later. I have some arthritis in that particular joint (and only that one) that really bothers me.

R.Ph. 380
03-05-2014, 01:42 AM
Loaded Glock on the Bench with the safety catch off.Why?.Good job the Child was not severely injured or killed.A lesson for all of us.

Safety Catch? It's a Glock, You Know Glock-leg?

Just glad both will recover.

Bill

Norbrat
03-05-2014, 01:58 AM
OK...that makes absolutely no sense whatsover from a safety point of view. If you are going to pull the trigger on a Glock, how can you NOT depress the safety? Yeah, I know.....top of the trigger and the sides won't depress the trigger....but who in the heck has done that? You pull the trigger from the middle or lower part anyway.....
I don't get it....I'll stick with revolvers.

How many revolvers come with a safety? If the kid had picked up a loaded double action revolver and pulled the trigger, it also would have gone off.

lead-1
03-05-2014, 05:23 AM
Prayers sent for all involved and their families. ><>

FISH4BUGS
03-05-2014, 02:55 PM
How many revolvers come with a safety? If the kid had picked up a loaded double action revolver and pulled the trigger, it also would have gone off.

I think it would take a heck of lot more poundage to pull the trigger DA on a revolver to fire than the Glock.

Old School Big Bore
03-05-2014, 03:06 PM
@ Col4570 - only safety on a G-word is the trigger lock tab which automatically disengages as you pull the trigger. As a trainer, and having raised four normal boys, I wholeheartedly agree that: the child should have been indoctrinated as to what guns do and to keep hands off unless an adult is handing the gun over, and, the gun should have been unloaded or equipped with the push-out/fall-away trigger wedge by the adult. Hopefully lessons learned, and respect rather than fear instilled in the child. Praying for full recovery and for someone to buy a Glock-Lock wedge for your BiL.

SharpsShooter
03-05-2014, 03:26 PM
I am thankful that both survived the incident. However, this should be pointed out to your brother-in-law: have the boys hearing checked frequently for the next few years. Nerve damage takes a while to show up, but in a closed dressing room, with the muzzle that close to his head, I almost guarantee you he has some permanent hearing loss. I am an authority on the topic from personal experience.

SS

Norbrat
03-05-2014, 05:32 PM
I think it would take a heck of lot more poundage to pull the trigger DA on a revolver to fire than the Glock.

It takes a definite trigger pull to fire a std Glock; think staple gun. It's a loooong, loooong pull of around 6lbs. Hardly a hair trigger.

But yes, a std double action revolver pull is still a bit heavier. One still shouldn't leave a loaded gun within reach of a small child.

shooterg
03-05-2014, 07:52 PM
I hope it wasn't the kid's throwing hand and he and BIL heal 100%.
I'm sure nothing said here will be as bad as what the child's mother had to say !

fatnhappy
03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
familiarity breeds contempt.

This whole story is painfully sad. Prayers for them now.

captaint
03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Really !! Just imagine having to explain this to Mom. Yo........ Great that everybody only had relatively minor injuries.. Mike