PDA

View Full Version : Guide gun

Jim
12-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Well, I picked up my guide gun out of lay away last night. I got the unported barrel version. Now I gotta get some 405s loaded up and get this cannon out to the range for a little R&R!:Fire:

6pt-sika
12-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Congrats and enjoy :drinks:

IcerUSA
12-21-2007, 01:06 PM
So far I like mine just need to get some time on the range with it . Going to try the Gould HP and one of the GB moulds I picked up Warf's Lyman 454190 . That 405gn does good out of mine but I only was shooting at 50yds for deer season here . Deffinatly needs more range time and load development and 100yd targets . :)

Congrats

Keith

HCL
12-21-2007, 02:34 PM
The RCBS 45-405 is about the most accurate I have found with the guide gun. WW give me about 415gr boolit, add GC and lube you are looking at roughly
420grs. Benchmark is very clean and not temp sensitive. Will mention that off the bench with min load is not an all day adventure, but off hand is pretty pleasant, min book load of Benchmark will give you 1950fps out of the GG. I have not worked up past that, as this gives me one ragged hole groups at 100yrds. Oh and did I mention 1950fps with 420grs of lead. I use green cut birch for my boolit testing media, it will sail through 18 inches and still retain over 385grs. This may be alittle over kill for the lower 48, but up here there are big scary things learking about.
I drag mine all over the place up here and could not tell you how many rounds have been through it, and not one malfunction, you will really like yours.
Mike

MtGun44
12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
+1 on RCBS 405 cast. I have had excellent results with 57.0 W748
under this boolit or either Remington or Speer j-bullet 405s. I use
magnum primers with this large charge of ball powder. This is
a low pressure load (OK for trapdoors) but puts out 1750 fps in
my SS GG ported. Recoil is stiff but not insane like the same bullets at
2050 fps. OUCH ! 1750fps is a great hunting speed, fine on tough
and medium-big stuff like elk and moose, or wildebeeste and zebra.

For fun, use the RCBS cast over 12 gr Unique, no filler or dacron required.
Mild and accurate.

They are great guns and it is a truly great caliber.

Bill

NickSS
12-22-2007, 03:17 AM
One of the things I like about the 45-70 is that with proper loads and boolits you can hunt anything from a chipmonk to elephant with good results. I have loaded ammo that will nearly equal a 458 win mag and does equal a lot of English double rifle calibers that they used to hunt large dangerous game with and I have also loaded round lead balls at 500 fps for plinking and pest control in the back yard. My motto is to load it for its intended use. When I went to Alaska on a fishing trip with my Wife's cousin in the Kennie (Spelling???) penisula I loaded up some 400 gr soft nosed Jacketed slugs to around 1800 fps for bear medison. I never saw a bear but the following year I droped a nice elk with that load in My Guide gun.

pipehand
12-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey Jim, sorry I have'nt checked in for a while. Are you going to leave the GG stock, or tweak it a little bit? I've been really happy with mine. I'm shooting the lyman 457463 bullet that I had to lap out to get it big enough in WW alloy. The SC mould is slow going to turn out any volume, but I have been patiently waiting for the 462,420 grain group buy mould to arrive since last spring. Keep the loads light until you learn how to shoot it-- they're almost like a pistol in the way they have to be gripped/held consistently to show good groups on target. A Limbsaver pad helps a lot.

Jim
12-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Pipe,
This is the third GG I've owned and am no stranger to these rifles. I'm shooting the Lee .458-405-FNHB in it over 50 gr. over IMR 4895 right now. I have some loads made up with 65 Gr. of WC 860(read high compression!) and will be working on a load using 7383.
There's something about these rifles I really love. This one won't leave the arsenal until I pass it to my son.

Lloyd Smale
12-27-2007, 11:59 AM
another vote for the 405 rcbs. Its a great bullet