PDA

View Full Version : Question on .45 brass prep, before loading on progressive press Lnl ap?

bzajdek
03-02-2014, 04:24 PM
Would I destroy my brass by slightly chamfering the primer pocket section in the case, I have not had any issues loading 9mm small primer brass but large pistol .45acp has given me a lot of problems with tight fitting Winchester primers with s&b, Winchester, and several other head stamps. I tried running a few pieces of brass with the debur or inside chamfer tool and then a couple of spins with my k&m primer pocket tool and the primers seat beautiful just below flush without excessive force. Just finished depriming 1500 mixed cases and am ready to chuck up the debur in my drill press running at 300 rpm the slowest my press will run and prep all the cases for my hornady Lnl and am nervous that this will have a negative effect on the brass. I can't afford a Dillon primer pocket swager and I know many people remove military crimped .223 using this method being careful not to remove too much brass. It worked well by hand for 6 cases, just nervous about doing the volume with the drill press.

Outpost75
03-02-2014, 05:00 PM
A light touch and a quick "bump" against a standard deburring tool, just to break the corner, is not going to do any harm.
I actually do this with crimped primer brass, after decapping and before swaging on the Dillon 600, because it gives the brass somewhere to flow, so that swaging is less likely to raise a slight ridge sround the primer pocket, which can cause a false tight headspace condition.

jmorris
03-02-2014, 05:02 PM
No you won't hurt it. The 1050 swages them all to accomplish the same goal.

bzajdek
03-03-2014, 09:28 PM
Ok thanks I will go easy on them

wv109323
03-03-2014, 10:06 PM
You didn't mention your load. If they are hot loads the more cautious I would be. The S&B brass is not one of my favorites. I find that primer pockets vary in size and adding a bevel does not cure the problem 100% of the time. I don't have any issues with Win. brass.

bzajdek
03-03-2014, 10:25 PM
Yes they are very mild loads with cast boolits, they are very mixed range pickup.

Fluxed
03-03-2014, 10:26 PM
You might look at the Wilson primer pocket reamer.
It will make perfect primer pockets.

dragon813gt
03-03-2014, 10:33 PM
Save yourself a lot of aggravation. Don't bother w/ the S&B brass. There are to many inconsistencies w/ their primer pockets.

bzajdek
03-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I will get rid of s&b brass but there is other numerous military crimped and other problem brass encountered when using the Lnl progressive seating above flush or barely started preventing the shell plate from advancing.

williamwaco
03-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Interesting that you mentioned S&B.

I have had so much trouble seating primers in S&B .38 special cases that I now route them directly to the scrap bin.

I have found that even "de-crimping" them ( although they do not have a visible crimp ) does not help.

Wayne Smith
03-04-2014, 05:27 PM
I run a Lyman Primer Pocket Uniformer into S&B cases and use them just like any other.

jmorris
03-04-2014, 10:35 PM
I used to separate them from the rest and use them at lost brass matches, didn't take much extra time because I had to sort for small primer pockets back then.

Now I have a 1050 that culls SPP brass and the swager makes it so you never notice S&B brass.

enfieldphile
03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Quote from the movie, "Casablanca"

"How extravagent you're, throwing away women like that. Some day they may become scarce."

In the long ago, I may have considered it beneath me to pick up someone's discarded, once-fired S&B. With these trying times we now live in, I consider any discarded, once-fired .45 case as pure Manna from heaven!

The only semi-autos I load for is .45acp, 2X 1911's and 1 Tangogilo Match.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation. Don't bother w/ the S&B brass. There are to many inconsistencies w/ their primer pockets.