PDA

View Full Version : Rex Receiver Sight Drilling Jig, info request

browntown
03-02-2014, 02:03 PM
I've ordered off ebay an old Rex jig that I think is for enfields (14 & 17, not smle). I see them pop up on ebay from time to time for anywhere from 50 to 200$. See here (have no connection to this listing), just an example. ebay link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rex-Gunsmithing-Drilling-Jig-Barrel-Vise-Hardened-Bushings-Drills-Straight-Holes-/200748247032?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebd8727f8)

For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, here is a pic:

There is a picture of the jig in use in the short article on sporterizing the enfield in the old NRA Gunsmithing Guide.

I'm pretty sure Brownell's use to sell them. I think most people that bother drilling for receiver sights on these old guns, would just cross level the sight and prick punch the holes. Before anyone gets worked up about destroying history, I'm only drilling on receivers that I've bought as failed sporterizing projects. i.e. the ears are already ground off, the floorplates are straightened, etc.

My question is, if there were different models (mauser, springfield, enfield, etc).? How to identify the different models? Or did one model do em all?

Also, one ebay listing I've seen said there are different steps in the rear of the jig for different lyman sights. I intend to buy an old redfield for this project, but I don't know the hole spacing yet.

An instruction sheet would be great, but even an old scan of a catalog listing showing the different models and applications.

Anyone have a 1972 brownell's big book lying around? Thanks in advance.