PDA

View Full Version : Fair deal ??

Boaz
03-02-2014, 01:33 PM
I'v been collecting lead wheel weights for a while and dont as yet have the equipment to smelt them so made a deal with a man that casts bullets to sell local and at gun shows . I told him I'd take 30 percent of the total poured ingots .Do you think this is a fair trade for both of us ? He came yesterday and brought me 30 lb's of ingots from 8 gallon's of wheel weights .

WILCO
03-02-2014, 01:40 PM
Asking questions after a deal is made tends to be pointless.
Whatever the answer is, you have to live with it.

Boaz
03-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Thank you for the moral reminder WILCO but my dad tought me that about 50 years ago . My point was to seek opinion as to weather it was a fair deal for both parties .

Hammerlane
03-02-2014, 02:26 PM
So I guess you had 90 pounds or so... Turkey burner BassPro or Walmat $ 30 Pot from an old Propane Tank yourself $ 0 Off SS $ 30. If you sold $ 1 per pound You would of broke even.. But if you don't have the time or the place. If you can live with, what the h

NewbieDave007
03-02-2014, 02:27 PM
There are so many factors to consider I in your question that an answer could be drastically different depending on the assumptions we would have to make. If you feel that the deal is good then roll with it. If you feel that something else should happen then talk to the other party. To be honest unless you don't have a location that you could smelt then the start up cost is relatively minimal. Good luck.

62chevy
03-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Sounds like he gave you the right amount but I think 50/50 would have been a better deal. Keep in mind all the time and gas you spent getting those wheel weights.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-02-2014, 03:04 PM
this is only my opinion,
No, that was not a good deal for you.
your friend got an awesome deal.
I think a fair trade would have been more like 60% for you and 40% for your friend.

I did a similar deal last spring, a non-casting friend acquired two homemade boat anchors for free from his aging neighbor, who said he made them with WW's in the 1970s. After smelting these 2 boat anchors, I reclaimed about 120lbs of ingots, the BHN measured a strong 12. He wanted 44 boolits and 41 boolits. I gave him over 30 lbs of boolits, cast, sized, lubed for the remaining 85+ lbs.

WILCO
03-02-2014, 08:42 PM
My point was to seek opinion as to whether it was a fair deal for both parties .

Well you know what they say about opinions. When conducting business it's always best to do some research before going forward. That's the only way to truly learn.

William Yanda
03-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Sounds like he gave you what you asked. Good deal for you, Awesome deal for him. Wish I had some friends like you.

Ben
03-02-2014, 09:08 PM
I smelted 800 lbs. a few days ago.
The fellow didn't have the time or equipment to get everything into ingots.

We agreed on 2/3 rds for me, 1/3 rd for him.( Before anything was melted ) Quite a bit of work in doing that much at one time !

He seemed to be happy with the agreement .

Ben

jsizemore
03-02-2014, 09:18 PM
Boned!

jeepyj
03-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Probably a fair deal if you have easy access to plenty of COWW. If you don't in the future just try to see if he will budge a bit. If you were in my area I'd help you out for 75% you - 25% me or as I've done before. Simply borrow my smelting equipment for no cost with a hope of a few pounds at the end.
Jeepyj

merlin101
03-04-2014, 02:10 PM
It was 'fair' only because you had already agreed to it. As others have said you could've done better, but you were happy with the deal before why change your mind now?
Keep it in mind and better luck next time.

Boaz
03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks for your opinion merlin101 !

Boaz
03-05-2014, 08:19 PM
As a matter of fact , WILCO
jsizemore
merlin101
I would like to thank you for your opinions and as WILCO pointed out 'Well you know what they say about opinions' .

62chevy
Hammerlane
NewbieDave007
William Yanda
Ben
jeepyi
I not only thank you for your opinion but place value on it , thank you .

jsizemore
03-05-2014, 09:11 PM
He had maybe 3cents/lb in gas to produce ingots and you learned absolutely nothing about producing alloy for casting. The fortunate part of this hobby is if you screw up you remelt. Now you can't remelt your lost alloy.

jonas302
03-05-2014, 09:20 PM
You might have to account for steels and zinc in those weights also unless you already sorted them I would have just obtained the equipment but we really have no idea of the situation and the only thing that matters is that your happy

Boaz
03-06-2014, 09:49 PM
jonas302 I think the 30 lb's of lead was the proper amount for 30% of 8 gallons of wheel weights in ingots . I'm like most folks and just dont have enough time in the day to do all I would like to (daughter in band , work 6 days a week , church and related activitys , single parent , etc ) , not whining just a fact . We plan to smelt our own lead soon but are trying to get up and running on reloading . My primary question was if the 30-70 split was 'FAIR' to BOTH of us , not just me . Point is I am trying to be Fair and having never smelted lead wanted to be sure the other man was compansated properly for his efforts .

62chevy
03-06-2014, 10:11 PM
jonas302 I think the 30 lb's of lead was the proper amount for 30% of 8 gallons of wheel weights in ingots . I'm like most folks and just dont have enough time in the day to do all I would like to (daughter in band , work 6 days a week , church and related activitys , single parent , etc ) , not whining just a fact . We plan to smelt our own lead soon but are trying to get up and running on reloading . My primary question was if the 30-70 split was 'FAIR' to BOTH of us , not just me . Point is I am trying to be Fair and having never smelted lead wanted to be sure the other man was compansated properly for his efforts .

I was a single parent for a few years so I know how that is cause you are both Mom and Dad. Time is very limited in that situation and the fact that you can take on extra things like reloading is amazing. Anyways if you are happy with the 30# then that is all that counts.

southpaw
03-06-2014, 10:19 PM
You must have had lots of steel and zinc if you only got 30#'s back from 8 gallons of coww. Seems that it should have been closer to double that. Last full 5 gallon bucket I weighted was around 150#'s. Lets just call the 8 gallons 200#'s. If you lost 20% due to clips, steel and zinc you have ~160#'s of ingots. 160/3=53.3. Just my experience.

If you are not even set up for reloading let alone casting, why are you worried about getting your lead into ingots? It isn't going to get any easier to find. I would think that you would want to have as much as you could get. It doesn't take up much space and they don't eat much.

Jerry Jr.