PDA

View Full Version : Plumbers Furnace ????

bspitt
03-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Hey all,

I'm new here. I am just getting into casting. I bought a whole Lot of casting goodies from a gentleman who is retiring from casting. I ended up buying most of his stuff including these plumber's furnaces for smelting scrap.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/bspitt/IMG_20140302_121709_904_zps6c7d7e58.jpg (http://s207.photobucket.com/user/bspitt/media/IMG_20140302_121709_904_zps6c7d7e58.jpg.html)

Both propane tanks are full and in good shape. Included is a right angle fitting for a "normal" tank. I have read here that I may be able to get the vertical tanks filled by a welding company due to the fact these tanks are not for normal recreational use (grilling, etc). Can anyone shed a little light on that subject?

I'm also going to need only one of these. Any idea as the the value of one full tank with furnace? I will be selling one soon.

Thanks for your help.
Brannon

merlin101
03-02-2014, 01:53 PM
No idea about filling the tank, but I saw a burner like that go fo $60 locally but that was without the tank.

Irascible
03-02-2014, 02:27 PM
I've used one for years to smelt wheel weights. They are very noisey and somewhat unstable. the first tank was dated 1949 and no one refused to fill it until the new law came out. I then bought a brand new tank at the local welding gas outlet for $110. I've had it for 10 years now and one filler said he would not fill it again as it was now 10 years old. I now go to the local Arab owned gas station/convenience store where they are scared of the process and let the old American who pumps gas handle that end. He doesn't care what it is and fills it anyway. I googled plumbers pots and adapters and there is an adapter made which the burner screws on to and it hooks up to a standard BBQ tank (or bigger). It's about the same price as my new tank was 10 years ago. http://www.circlemfg.com/plmbers_melting_furnaces.htm
On yours, There should be some threaded ears on the cast ring. These will hold a sheet metal wind shield which is a big help in holding in the heat and stabilizing the pot. You should have one up around the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of the pot and if your really in the wind, one going down a ways will help also.

bangerjim
03-02-2014, 03:15 PM
You have a 12 year clock on the refill-ability of propane vessels. The dates are stamped in the steel and most places today check that.

As far as that style, I have no idea. Mine uses a 20' hose to a standard PLO fitting and is very easy to light and use. No reg needed. It gets hot fast and can be easily regulated with the built-in needle valve.

I have seen several like mine, but none like your pictures.

good luck finding an answer.

banger

shaune509
03-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Unless the dot gov has in there allknowing wisdom changed the rules [they are not laws only regulations] any industrial tank in clean condition can be re-tested and then date stamped to allow its use. Ever check the ring on an O2 or other tank? Many tanks that I have seen are first date from WW2 era or older. A few years back my 5' propane tank needed a retest, all they did was sand off the loose paint and surface rust, bubble test the seams and valve and give it a cheap shot of new silver paint and for less than $10. The only thing that I might do with that set up is make a stand to support the put for stability.
Shaune509