PDA

View Full Version : SP101 spring weights

Petrol & Powder
03-02-2014, 12:14 PM
I just picked up a Ruger SP101 DAO .357 mag revolver. Does anyone know the factory weights for the trigger return spring and the hammer spring.

And: does anyone know from experience where the perfect compromise is between the weight of the trigger return spring and hammer spring that will yield a good trigger pull with 100% reliability ?

ClemY
03-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Unfortunately all revos tend to be individuals, which is why the spring kits come with several different weight rebound springs and mainsprings. It can depend on how smooth the mating parts are. If they are just a bit rough the springs may have to be a bit heavier to provide reliable ignition. Pick a lighter weight kit from Wolff or Brownell's and try them and see what works for you.

Petrol & Powder
03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
According to the information available at Wolff Springs (http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SP-101/cID3/mID52/dID234), the Ruger factory SP-101 hammer spring is 14 pounds and the factory trigger return spring is 10 pounds.

Wolff offers hammer springs (mainsprings) in 9, 10, 11, and 12 pound weights, their trigger return springs are only offered in an 8 pound weight.

I have changed out the springs on four Ruger SP-101 revolvers. Wolff's 8 pound trigger return spring, along with their 10 pound hammer spring has resulted in a good double action trigger pull and 100% reliability with Federal and Winchester primers in each case.

PB

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Petrol & Powder
03-05-2014, 08:12 AM
So I found a 9# Wolff mainspring in my collection of spare parts. However with the factory 10# trigger return spring still in place the pull is still on the heavy side. I ordered the Wolff spring set. It looks like the 10# mainspring coupled with the 8# trigger return spring will get it to the right balance. (thanks PB, that looks like it will be right on)
I polished some key components and it is smoother but with that 10# trigger spring still in there, it's just still too heavy. A 14 pound mainspring and a 10 pound trigger return spring is WAY too heavy! I guess the lawyers have got Ruger running pretty scared these days.

Petrol & Powder
03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
I installed an 8# trigger return spring and a 10# mainspring in the SP101. That's the ticket.

Phineas Buster - Your advice was right on the money, Thanks !

Petrol & Powder
03-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Roger that, but it was a good starting point and turned out to be the right combination.
That 10# trigger return spring is WAY too heavy. I could probably live with an 11 or 12 pound mainspring but that trigger spring is just too much.