PDA

View Full Version : Lead tin ingot factory markings

pjogrinc
12-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Just picked up a bunch of ~1 lb factory ingots of tin and lead/tin mix. They are about 12 inches long, 1/2 inch by 1/3 inch. MFG is National Lead CO.
Some of the bars were stamped tin with no numbers on them, bright and shiney, and BNH of 7 which is correct. I have many more bars that have a stamping on them of 111, 888 or 999. Probably doesn't mean a thing, but anyone have an idea ?? I've tested 2 of the bars and they have a BNH of 10. What is the hardness of 50/50, 63/37 or other readily available lead alloy, excluding 20-1, 30-1 etc. Any recomendations for determining content ?? Price was right, $0.39/lb, scrape lead price. Also picked up 500 + lbs of ingots that have a BNH of 6 to 7. They new the source of these ingots and he use to make sinkers with a mix of 50 to 1. Now to change that to 25-1 for my Borchardt. Any help would be appreciated.

454PB
12-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Welcome to the forum!

You made a great buy.

Here is a link to an excellent reference page on lead alloys.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Though I don't really know, it's possible those ingots marked "888", etc. could be babbitt metal.

shotstring
12-21-2007, 03:38 AM
I didn't know the store at the Angeles Shooting Range had such a nice web site. Thanks for posting the link - had many a good shooting session at that range, as I lived various places that were a hop skip and jump from that range for 25 years.
Of course, in those days, all the canyons were open to shooting so you just used the Angeles Range when you wanted to shoot from a bench for some serious rifle work. They also used to have a 600 yard metal ram that was a challenge to keep it ringing.

Alloy
12-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Several years back (circa 1984) I called National Lead Company as I wanted to know the analysis of their 111 and 666 solder alloys. National reported 111 = 50% SN and 50% Pb while 666 = 39%Sn, 1%Sb and 60% Pb. I have used these solders to improve the Sn content of alloys with good results.

I do not know the composition of other National Lead bar numbers, nor, unfortunately do I still have Nationals telephone contact information.

Hope this helps.