PDA

View Full Version : most winning rifle

Starvnhuntr
03-02-2014, 02:00 AM
I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which rifle builder has built the rifle that has won the most B.P.C.R. competitions. Including all types from long range to short range.

MT Chambers
03-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Shiloh Sharps

Bullshop
03-02-2014, 03:44 AM
Remington

Don McDowell
03-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Shiloh. That's what the equipment lists of the various matches will show. Followed by variations of rebuilt hiwalls.

country gent
03-02-2014, 11:47 AM
An accurate rifle is a big plus and help to winning its not just the rifle. The shooter is a big part of the equation, a dedicated competitor that practices and has developed the skills is even more important. Its also the person "driving" the rifle that wins the match. Skills knowledge and most of all mindset are important.

Bullshop
03-02-2014, 11:50 AM
I think if we consider when the BPCR matches started originally to present Remington would surpass Shiloh by a good margin. Remember we are talking about 150 years or so. There were no Shiloh rifles at the original Creedmoor match but there were Remington's.
If we are looking at the most recent 25 or so years then yes maybe Shiloh.

martinibelgian
03-02-2014, 11:52 AM
And indeed - the rifle is but a small factor coming into play in winning... Rifles don't win, shooters do.

Don McDowell
03-02-2014, 12:04 PM
I think if we consider when the BPCR matches started originally to present Remington would surpass Shiloh by a good margin. Remember we are talking about 150 years or so. There were no Shiloh rifles at the original Creedmoor match but there were Remington's.
If we are looking at the most recent 25 or so years then yes maybe Shiloh.

The Creedmoor matches only lasted about 10 years. After that Schuetzen and soon after the "military" matches where they used the Krag rifles took over. They only fired two matches a year, one in the spring and one in the fall.
So if you count up the number of just NRA sanctioned bpcr events as in Sillouette, Creedmoor and Midrange, the number of matches fired far exceeds what happened from 1873-1882.Even then if you look at the equipment list that Perry provided in his book, the number 1 rifle was the Sharps Borchardt, at the last match he recorded in 82 or so.

Bullshop
03-02-2014, 12:35 PM
But there must have been other matches other than sanctioned NRA. There were also small bore shutzen 20 and 40 rod type matches as well as rest shooting matches using 32 38 and 40 calibers. These were also BPCR matches. If we consider them then the Ballard and Stevens and Winchester rifles come into play.
I mentioned Remington to get folks to think. They supplied rifles for the original Creedmoor matches as well as C. Sharps.
There are still a lot of Remingtons rollers and Hepburn both original and replica in use but likely not as many winning as Shiloh rifles today.

Doc Highwall
03-02-2014, 12:36 PM
This kind of reminds me of the scene in Quigley Down Under where Quigley is inside eating with Maston and the young kid makes the remark "Give me a rifle like that and I will show you how to shoot" or something to that affect.

To really learn to shoot you have to be dedicated putting trigger time in, and learn to read the wind. I and others here have seen some good shooters when there is no wind shoot great scores, but when the wind comes up they fall to the bottom of the score sheet. A reasonably accurate rifle in the hands of a good shooter with a great wind reading skills can make for a formidable opponent in any situation.

Don McDowell
03-02-2014, 02:56 PM
But there must have been other matches other than sanctioned NRA. There were also small bore shutzen 20 and 40 rod type matches as well as rest shooting matches using 32 38 and 40 calibers. These were also BPCR matches. If we consider them then the Ballard and Stevens and Winchester rifles come into play.
I mentioned Remington to get folks to think. They supplied rifles for the original Creedmoor matches as well as C. Sharps.
There are still a lot of Remingtons rollers and Hepburn both original and replica in use but likely not as many winning as Shiloh rifles today.

I'm pretty sure the OP is questioning what is the most winning rifle in this current time. Equipment lists show that's pretty overwhelmingly Shiloh's.
We can go over into the symantics of days gone , by, but it's going to be hard to bring Schuetzen shooters into that, as they went to smokeless powder as soon as the stuff got to where they could manage it.
By the same token if you take into account the myriad of "buffalo gong" matches around the country the old days still far way behind in the head count. The Quigley match in itself accounts for 600+- entrants every year,,, vast majority of those are shooting... Shiloh's...

Bullshop
03-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Don I know you are right but that just seemed too simple and left little to talk about.

johnson1942
03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
the guys are right, i think ive tweeked my cpa stevens 44 and 1/2 to the point it could win any match. however, i the shooter couldnt win these matches. im very good at 100 yards, at prairie dogs to 300 yards and ive hit the rams at 500 yards, they all can build the gun to do it, its the shooter that does it with these guns.

.22-10-45
03-04-2014, 03:35 AM
Don't mean to hi-jack thread..but there was alot of reference to Remingtons..Few years back I purchased an original Remington Mid-Range in .40-70 (2 1/2" str.) Owner said he got tired of being beaten up by the .44-77 so had new Green Mtn. 32" 1/2 oct. . 40-70 barrel fitted. No alteration to wood or action & I have original 28" 1/2 oct. brl. so it can be put back together any time. Interestingly..it left factory as a .40-70 str. & sometime later..still well in 19th century was re-bored/chambered for the .44-77. Perhaps original bore was worn..or more likely more power and range wanted? But the most interesting thing is that both action & original brl. have British proof marks. Remington did have an outlet in Britan. Original Mid-range vernier tang & sprit-level globe. Inserts have little pin on one side that fits hole in front sight slide. 1st time out shooting Swiss 1 1/2 at 100yds..was shooting under 1" with Brooks Creedmoor style 330gr. Not supposed to be that easy right off the bat! Wish this one could talk!

Bad Ass Wallace
03-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Start with a good barrel and a nicely cut chamber. My Badger barreled 40/65 just seems to hone in on that 10 ring!