PDA

View Full Version : Building a Handi, anything 'special' to do for boolits?

kawasakifreak77
03-01-2014, 07:16 PM
I got the 35 Rem barrel fitted to my SB2 frame last night. I've read some things about lapping the bore. I intend to shoot only cast once I shoot up a few boxes of Jwords for the brass. The barrel is new, is there a certain process I could do to improve it's boolit shooting accuracy?

nanuk
03-01-2014, 09:21 PM
you'll get all kinds of replys

some say yes, and some say no

some say maybe

slug your barrel, and see if there is a restriction at the forearm lug.

if so, lapping, or firelapping may help a bit with leading near the muzzle, as the boolit can get squeezed at the restriction

if it is not restricted, then.... well... wait and see

Old School Big Bore
03-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Not 'jackin - is it common to have a tight spot at the lug, then?

kawasakifreak77
03-03-2014, 08:05 PM
That's a good question. Never thought about that.

tacklebury
03-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I have 14 barrels for my system and a couple stand alones. Usually there's no restriction there that I've discerned. You do however get heat expansion if you don't bed the forend or at least float it on an oring, washer, etc. 8) I have slugged 5 of mine and the only constriction point I see is on the .45 colt at the point of the dovetail cut. It's very minor and doesn't affect accuracy, that I can see, so I leave it be. Handi's don't typically have really deep rifling and lapping them typically just shortens their life expectancy some. ;)

Double B
03-05-2014, 04:48 PM
I'd say shooting a couple boxes of the j words and appropriate cleaning will get you where you need to be. It may take it awhile to start shooting well. The hose washer trick as described above is a good one on handi rifles. It made mine shoot better. And if you haven't found it yet, check out the h&r nef guys over on the greybeard forum. They are full of handi tips. Enjoy that 35.

kawasakifreak77
03-06-2014, 07:17 PM
That is my initial plan, Double B. Not only to break in the barrel, but to start a collection of brass!

I have been over to the gbo forum for handi specific info, just was curious about improving upon the boolit shooting capacity of the rifle. Nice guys over there, already traded my original barrel for a scatter gun barrel for birdies. :)

Once I have a handful of brass, I'm going to try my hand at making some reduced loads with a pile of 158 SWC I already have for my wheel gun. Once I get those lined out, it's on to full power stuff!