PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Equipment that just didn't pan out

omgb
03-01-2014, 03:13 PM
So I got to thinking about presses, measures and other equipment that just never worked out to be as good as intended. A case in point is the RCBS Green machine. It looks nice and was a super idea but dang, it just never worked right. The primer feed was plagued by gremlins and the case feed failed just about as often too. RCBS had to pull the dang thing as it was a consumer nightmare. Another example is the Lee Loadfast. A great idea that just never worked out. It was too fragile and prone to all types of failures especially in the auto advance mechanism. Hornady's Apex machine had similar problems. Can any of you think of a few more?

WallyM3
03-01-2014, 03:16 PM
The Savage "Straight 8" press? I don't know why, but you don't see many.

Kent Fowler
03-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Old single stage Ponsness Warren shotshell reloader. If you used it, you ran Mama and the kids out of the house, took the phone off the hook, put up the "No Salesmen" sign and turned off the radio because any lapse in concentration would guarantee you a squib load. Gave it to a friend of mine and after a couple of frustrating weeks he gave it to his son, who finally threw it in the garbage. I then purchased a Ponsness 900 E which was heaven in a box, when it arrived.

bullet maker 57
03-01-2014, 03:43 PM
I have 2 Savage Straight Eight presses. I see them everyday.

WallyM3
03-01-2014, 03:47 PM
So, you have the other 2/3 of the production!

Bent Ramrod
03-01-2014, 05:30 PM
I've tried a couple of the Hornady "New Dimension" reloading dies and was underwhelmed, to say the least. The neck expanding-depriming punch is held in the full length sizing die by some sort of collet arrangement instead of good old screw threads and a lock nut. After a certain number of cases are sized, the collet loosens and the neck expander is down in the shell, where it takes a major interruption in the production process to get it back out.

This endless need to "improve" things that work perfectly well already is something I can't understand.

r1kk1
03-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Which single stage was that? I have the 375 and nary a problem. Must have predated the 375.

Take care

r1kk1

dudel
03-01-2014, 05:48 PM
I've tried a couple of the Hornady "New Dimension" reloading dies and was underwhelmed, to say the least. The neck expanding-depriming punch is held in the full length sizing die by some sort of collet arrangement instead of good old screw threads and a lock nut. After a certain number of cases are sized, the collet loosens and the neck expander is down in the shell, where it takes a major interruption in the production process to get it back out.

This endless need to "improve" things that work perfectly well already is something I can't understand.

I've got several of the Hornady new dimension dies, and they are some of my favorites. I've never had a collet loosen up on me. The purpose of the design (and improvement over the Lee IMHO), is to let the decapping rod slide up when it hits well crimped primer or a Berdan primer; instead of breaking. The light screw thread makes it easier to adjust.

If you're getting ready to throw them out, plenty of people here will take em.

Blanket
03-01-2014, 05:49 PM
hornady projector, lyman acculine, green machines come to mind. Most Lee stuff as well

r1kk1
03-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Quite a few of Lee's stuff and an Apex Loader to name a couple.

Stuff that is borderline to me is the Lyman lubrisizer and now Lee hand press. I've had both of these for decades.

Take care

r1kk1

GOPHER SLAYER
03-01-2014, 08:02 PM
I have a set of Hornady 225 dies and I gave up depriming cases with them. I could tighten the collet with a break over bar and it still pulled the expander down into the case. I would rather put up with an occasional broken pin, [ never happens to me anyway, since I don't use military brass] than this BIG bump in the road.

Fluxed
03-01-2014, 10:15 PM
I have a set of Hornady 225 dies and I gave up depriming cases with them. I could tighten the collet with a break over bar and it still pulled the expander down into the case. I would rather put up with an occasional broken pin, [ never happens to me anyway, since I don't use military brass] than this BIG bump in the road.

This almost broke me from buying anything from them.
Horrible solution to a problem that did not exist.

Bullshop Junior
03-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Lee zip trim. Worst thing ever.

dragon813gt
03-01-2014, 10:51 PM
I have a few that just don't work for me anymore. Not really a fault of the tool so to speak. CH4D's primer pocket swager is one such tool. It's to slow for my needs. Another one I'm fighting w/ is the ALF I have for my LAM 1. It seems the lube I'm using is to hard. I really want this one to work.

oldfart1956
03-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Lee zip trim. Worst thing ever. LOL! THIS! :) Actually it came in a box of molds so was basically free but still. I can't imagine anyone using it although I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. I even bought one of the things that fits on that (supposedly) fits every catridge known to man. That 3 jaw chuck thing. Either I broke that right out of the box or it doesn't fit any case I know of. One of the jaws always jams...every time. I mounted the whole shebang on the bench and yanked that cord like a retard with a weed-whacker for about 10 minutes before I knew...this ain't happening. Audie..the Oldfart

WallyM3
03-02-2014, 12:57 AM

Bullshop Junior
03-02-2014, 01:05 AM
LOL! THIS! :) Actually it came in a box of molds so was basically free but still. I can't imagine anyone using it although I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. I even bought one of the things that fits on that (supposedly) fits every catridge known to man. That 3 jaw chuck thing. Either I broke that right out of the box or it doesn't fit any case I know of. One of the jaws always jams...every time. I mounted the whole shebang on the bench and yanked that cord like a retard with a weed-whacker for about 10 minutes before I knew...this ain't happening. Audie..the Oldfart

The more you use them the shorter the cases get, and the gauges are way off of propor leanth.

Hardcast416taylor
03-02-2014, 02:59 AM
hornady projector, lyman acculine, green machines come to mind. Most Lee stuff as well

I started with a Hornady Pro-7 then upgraded it to a Pro-Jector that I like very much. However, I took off the auto prime assembly as it never seemed to work right. I also took off the case ejector as it didn`t work right ever on my press. I wore out the auto powder drop, 1st style, more from searing at it from not working right. I decided to pass on trading it all to Hornady for their LNL series press and having to pay them to butcher up my 9 shellplates just so their new and improved case ejector will work with them.Robert

blackhawk44
03-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Cougar & Hunter progressive. WallyM3, I still have one of those universal shell holders that I use on occasion.

UNIQUEDOT
03-02-2014, 12:06 PM
I've tried a couple of the Hornady "New Dimension" reloading dies and was underwhelmed, to say the least.

I agree although they still seem to be panning out just fine for lots of folks. As you mentioned their expanders are the worst on the market and the coating on the sizers wear off. The sliding sleeve doesn't work as well as a die with just a floating seating stem unless you have interchangeable custom sleeves made up.
Every now and then you will see a post where someone is praising them and pretending they will load "more accurate ammunition"

I have owned several sets of their pistol dies and a couple sets of their rifle dies, but they are all gone! I'm considering buying a set of their cowboy dies though...have you seen the expander in that set? it looks like a floating (M) plug! the only thing I can think of that would be better than an (M) plug is a floating (M) plug and I believe the custom shop could probably supply the correct sizes.

flashhole
03-02-2014, 12:48 PM
I fell for the Free Bullets trap when buying New Dimension dies and bought several sets. I have since purged them from my bench. I think the Hornady concentricity Tool that "corrects" runout by bending the neck is headed in that direction too ... just wasn't a good idea, much less a good product.

I like the Lee 3-jaw Chuck. I use it regularly in my drill press w/o any problems.

mdi
03-02-2014, 01:00 PM
OK fellers, if you mention Lee equipment, please be as specific as the other posts of tools are. Only one Lee item listed, (and a couple vague mentions), Zip Trim, and some typical Lee hater stuff...

BTW any one have pics of a Savage Straight 8? I googled "Savage Straight, Eight", several links, but no photos that show the entire press.

JimA
03-02-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm not a big fan of some of the Hornady ND dies either. I've not had problems decapping with them but my .45 colt sizing die will allow a .452 boolit to slide into the case without flaring. I do like their seating dies and use them in several calibers.

WallyM3
03-02-2014, 01:56 PM
"BTW any one have pics of a Savage Straight 8? I googled "Savage Straight, Eight", several links, but no photos that show the entire press."

W.R.Buchanan
03-02-2014, 02:32 PM
I don't believe that I have ever bought any tool that simply didn't work. If I did buy something that didn't work I took it back and got my money back.

I have lots of equipment that I have evolved away from. Like I evolved away from using a Lee Loader to load my ammo when I started shooting .44's and had to load 100-200 rounds for an afternoons shooting.

I still have most everything I ever bought or got in trade.

One thing that I never liked was the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager. I have two for some reason. I personally think that tool sucks outright.. It's well made but the stripper simply puts too much stress on the press and you have to hit it hard to get it to release. It doesn't feel god to use.

I evolved to a countersink. I also have a Dillon but I got it in trade and have never used it.

One of the good things about reloading is that there is about 6 different ways to do just about every operation so you're not stuck doing it the same way,,, You can always find a way you like and move on.

I also have a few boolit moulds that don't run very well for me. Those will probably find new homes soon.

Everybody has their likes and dislikes.

Randy

omgb
03-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Ditto the original RCBS primer pocket swager. I used one for decades and never really liked it. I bought the new one and it's almost as slick as the Dillon and less expensive. Still, a good reamer seems the fastest and best way to do it.

omgb
03-02-2014, 02:45 PM
When I started the thread I had in mind failed innovations, stuff that just didn't catch on not stuff that just wasn't made well. What about those little plastic cups for shooting round balls in BP. I think they only came in .50 and seemed to work OK but I never see them anymore.

Janoosh
03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Hard Ball cups???? Don't see them anymore.
TC black powder sabots with the lube donut on the bottom..... my Hawken loved them.
Press mounted bullet pullers...I have a bunch that have no name.
A primer pocket cleaner that works like a yankee screwdriver...when you slip...you drill your finger.

Skunk1
03-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Guy on my craigslist area has had a apex for sale for a year. He reposts it about 2 times a week for $200.

Re
Quite a few of Lee's stuff and an Apex Loader to name a couple.

Stuff that is borderline to me is the Lyman lubrisizer and now Lee hand press. I've had both of these for decades.

Take care

r1kk1

Bullshop
03-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Did anyone mention O'Conner steel head cases?
These were brass cases that threaded onto a steel case head. The purpose was high pressure loading without streaching case heads and primer pockets.
How about Freedom Arms steel ring primer pocket inserts?
These were steel ring inserts to insert into large primer pockets to reduce to small pockets of increased strength for the same purpose as the O'Conner steel case heads.
How about the pinned in replaceable titanium forcing cones on the very early Freedom Arms 454 revolvers.
Their purpose should be obvious.

timtonya
03-02-2014, 03:51 PM
That's easy......Lee Loadmaster. Pure junk

Blanket
03-02-2014, 06:10 PM
OK fellers, if you mention Lee equipment, please be as specific as the other posts of tools are. Only one Lee item listed, (and a couple vague mentions), Zip Trim, and some typical Lee hater stuff...

BTW any one have pics of a Savage Straight 8? I googled "Savage Straight, Eight", several links, but no photos that show the entire press. Well since you asked, deburring tools, case trimmers, primer pocket cleaners, drip o matic pots, presses, powder measure, scales, earlier dies, shotshell press, thumbpieces on the old priming tools ( which I love by the way). I always felt that they were poor execution of some good ideas

T-Man
03-02-2014, 07:30 PM
II had my doubts about the Lee LoadMaster...but after some tinkering, figuring, and finally some mods...the thing works like a champ. Their old Turret press usually manages to give me a case of the piles now and again

WallyM3
03-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Oops. Wrong thread.

oldfart1956
03-02-2014, 10:07 PM
Fellers just to keep the record straight please don't write me off as a "Lee basher." I switched over to a Lee Classic Turret recently (love it) and all but 1 of my die sets are Lee (with some additional add-ons) except the RCBS 45/70 dies which work just as well as the Lee. Just got an order from Midway ($200) that is 80% Lee products and probably 1/3 of my molds are Lee. I gave away a Forster case trimmer and switched all that to Lee. Just not with the weedwacker trimmer. (Zip Trim) I'm just sayin' is all. Audie...the Oldfart..

r1kk1
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Guy on my craigslist area has had a apex for sale for a year. He reposts it about 2 times a week for $200.

Re

Hated that press along with the Load Fast. Couldn't get parts for either.

Spent quite a bit of time in the 80s on the phone with Lee. The only press I didn't own was the Pro 1000. The rest except for the hand press went back. I just sold my sons Load-All to a member here. Mine went back within the 30 day money back guarantee. Their custom services side is a different company. Love it.

Didn't care for the RCBS pocket swager, sold it. Didn't care for Hornady or Lyman trimmers and sold them.

Take care

r1kk1

C. Latch
03-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I have ended up with several sets of Lee dies (local shop sells them, at decent prices) and while they claim that people actually prefer the rubber-bushing lock rings, I think they're horrible ideas. I still use them, but dislike them. Not a huge fan of the aluminum components on the dies, either....but I guess they work.

enfieldphile
03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
The RCBS primer pocket swager! In operation, it never felt right to me. It was slow, clunky. Just a poor design.

I replaced it w/ a CH/4D. The CH is slick, positive & fast. :)

fguffey
03-03-2014, 12:49 PM
The RCBS primer pocket swage required the reloader sort cases according to case head thickness. Failing to sort case head thickness resulted in bending the anvil/rod inside the die. I purchased the RCBS case prep center and added the military crimp remover from Lyman,

I spent more time waiting for parts from Hornady to repair their cam lock bullet puller than I did using it. They accused me of making too many mistakes? So I went for a visit, then they claimed that had a problem with a vendor, seems they could not temper/harden etc., metal, I offered to visit them, then Hornady claimed they no longer use that vendor. I switched to the RCBS collet type puller.

F. Guffey

Jagdhund
03-03-2014, 05:23 PM

I would take some emery paper to the shaft of the rod, just enough to roughen it. That might keep it in place a little better. In the instance you get a case with an off center flash hole, it will still work as designed. If that didn't work, I would remove, degrease and lightly loctite it in place.

Bent Ramrod
03-03-2014, 06:22 PM
I had borrowed the two sets from a friend for a couple of one-off reloading jobs which were supposed to go quickly. I don't think he had ever used the dies himself. I was glad enough to give them back to him.

I bend or break a depriming pin once in a blue moon, and replacement is a lot quicker and less involved than getting the ND expander back out of the shell. Crimped in primers should be deprimed by a stout arrangement like the Lee setup. If flash holes are off center, I just slightly loosen the lock nut so the depriming pin can move slightly, and "feel" the pin in with the press lever.

tazman
03-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Anything that says smartreloader on it. I made the mistake recently of getting back into reloading after several years away because of finances(really depressing story). I tried to get into it on the cheap and the smart reloader stuff seemed to be the ticket. None of it worked properly. The press is loose and off center. The priming tool simply doesn't function at all. Other pieces were lots of trouble.

Bought a Lee classic turret and love it. Got the new ergo prime hand tool and love it as well. Dies all Lee along with most accessories.
I may use the other press for sizing boolits at some point but not even sure about that.

MT Chambers
03-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Lee pots that leak, Lee molds that break, Lee dies that resize to wrong size, Lee powder scale, etc.......I never have problems with Redding, Forster, Rcbs, Saeco, etc.

dragon813gt
03-04-2014, 07:24 AM
And so the Lee bashing begins......

JimA
03-04-2014, 07:24 AM
RCBS universal decapping die. I broke 3 pins in the first week. Got a cheap Lee universal decapping die and am on the same pin 5 years later.
Take that MT Chambers :kidding::wink:

WallyM3
03-04-2014, 09:54 AM
My Lee universal decapping die has seen countless LC 7.62 NATOs with 'narry a hiccup. I had to chuck the Lyman pin rod up in the lathe and taper the junction between rod and pin. It was crushing case mouths.

r1kk1
03-04-2014, 11:45 AM
I've had good luck with the Lee decapper. It is limited for me and I use a Sinclair for stuff the Lee doesn't do.

Take care

r1kk1

RG1911
03-04-2014, 11:45 AM
The Lee priming tool that puts a block between the primer being inserted and the primers in the tray. Jams, double feeds, no feeds, etc. I used it for about 100 cases and finally sold it at a yard sale. Went back to the previous version that doesn't have the cut-off foolishness.

Richard

omgb
03-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I like my Lee decapper, built like a tank. I've got a Dillon one too and it's no better at twice the price. That's not a slam against Dillon, the material difference is obvious and I doubt Dillon could sell it cheaper. I use an older version of the Lee primer. I'm sure the thumb piece will break some day but then I'll just switch over to the Hornady one I have. I was recalling an old pacific Lube/Sizer I once saw. It mounted on top of an O press and IIRC, was a push through design. That's been long discontinued. You never see the Pacific wax bullet loader any more either. That was a slick little tool for loading wax pistol bullets.

meterman
03-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Both Lee and Hornady priming tools. Went back to the priming post on the press , and no more problems.

omgb
03-04-2014, 05:48 PM
It's funny that you mention that. I also have an old RCBS priming tool that bench mounts and holds a tube of 100 primers. It gives excellent feel to the process. I bought the hand tools because I was told they were "better". I'm not so sure. That bench tool never fails and is very sensitive. I think it may even be better. Now, how many of you use the tape primer feed tool, you know, the one that feeds the primers from a pre-loaded strip? That always seemed like a ton of work to me. What about the priming attachment for the T7 press from Redding? Does anyone have any feedback on that?

Alan in Vermont
03-04-2014, 06:33 PM
My RCBS Pro-2000 came with the strip feeder for primers. IMO, that thing was a curse from a bitter God. I replaced it with their tube feed which is a vast improvement. With the primers in factory loaded strips it was so-so, after a few reloads the strips would bugger up and it turned into a frustrating monster. When they first came out the stripped primers cost the same, now they are $5, or more, more expensive than boxed primers and even harder to find so I have two reasons to not miss it.

Sweetpea
03-04-2014, 07:08 PM
The priming system on the RCBS Turret press...

Friggin thing is right in the way, and tends to flip primers.

MT Chambers
03-04-2014, 08:37 PM
RCBS universal decapping die. I broke 3 pins in the first week. Got a cheap Lee universal decapping die and am on the same pin 5 years later.
Take that MT Chambers :kidding::wink:
Yer not hurtin' my feelings.

FergusonTO35
03-04-2014, 09:20 PM
As much as I love most Lee products some of them just don't work for me. The safety scale works but the adjustments are just too hard too see and it only goes to 100 grains. The Perfect powder measure is very *crunchy* with some powders, leaks others, and is very inconsistent with still others. To its credit the perfect measure was great with Accurate #5 and similar powders. The dippers never worked for me either. None of them were in sizes that were actually useful, if Lee offered them in a set with much smaller graduations I would certainly be interested.

Fortunately there are products from Lee and others that work great. Love my Lee Pro Auto Disk, I would really miss not having it. My RCBS Uniflow and 505 scale and Lyman Crusher press are awesome too.

Safeshot
03-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Hornady "New Dimension Rifle Die Set". Purchased new in sealed packaging; recapping pin and expander plug/rod was "way off center" (would not de-prime any case). Customer service advised that I send it back for repair/replacement. I sent it back on"my dime". They sent me back a used die set with lots of plier marks, scratches, finger prints and rust spots on the dies. The die set did function, but was definitely a very used, abused die set. Not the same (new) die set that I returned to them. I called Customer Service. They told me that: "That could not happen", "That I was mistaken or did not know what I had purchased". That was the last Hornady reloading product that I have purchased. RCBS (Green is GOOD) has been my first choice ever since. Check out "RCBS Cowboy Action Reloading Dies". They have a really nice two diameter expander plug with case mouth flare. (It makes it easy to start a cast Boolit and does not "shave lead" or "size down" the Boolit) Lee has been good for me also. Really like their collet crimp dies in rifle and revolver calibers.

flashhole
03-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Safeshot - I feel your pain. I had two bad experiences with Hornady customer service. Purged everything Hornady from my bench.

perotter
03-04-2014, 09:34 PM
RCBS Piggyback didn't pan out for me. But I will say the I was maybe to young and short of patience.

pete501
03-04-2014, 10:01 PM
RCBS Piggyback didn't pan out for me. But I will say the I was maybe to young and short of patience.

The piggyback works for me. I have lots of priming tubes, die holders and shell plates. It isn't quick to change caliber and if powder gets behind the shell plate I have a turkey baster bulb hooked up to a flexible small hose for blowing it clear.

nicholst55
03-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Both Lee and Hornady priming tools. Went back to the priming post on the press , and no more problems.

That Hornady tool is sure a gem, alright. I bought a used one for cheap, but it was missing the large priming post. I e-mailed Hornady and asked them to sell me one. Nope, gotta send the entire tool in so they can insure that it's got the current "upgrades." On my dime. Then when the durn thing comes back, it won't work consistently or reliably.

Guardian
03-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Regarding the Hornady ND dies, it sounds like you were using the pre "zip spindle" variety? I've never had a problem with the zip spindle moving, but I probably tighten the collet beyond what Hornady intended. I figure if they wanted it finger tight, they'd have knurled it rather than putting a 1/2-in hex on the collet. Anyway, I've been happy with the Hornady dies.

On the other hand, LEE depriming/expander rods with the slick sides are a PITA to lock down. I was worried about stripping the threads out of the die before I got the collet tight enough to hold the rod.

The Hornady pistol measure didn't seem to catch on. Shortly after I bought one I could no longer find bushings for it. It worked well, as long as you could find a bushing that threw the charge you wanted. I still have one, but can't tell you the last time I used it.

LEE Automator. I've seen photos, but never one in person. If it weren't for 44Vaquero, I wouldn't even know it existed.

dragon813gt
03-05-2014, 02:25 PM
On the other hand, LEE depriming/expander rods with the slick sides are a PITA to lock down. I was worried about stripping the threads out of the die before I got the collet tight enough to hold the rod.
Funny you should say that because this happed to me over the weekend
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile/7AF09421-FB86-4B54-8728-875E99F630BA-7137-000004CB23F1CCC9_zps06fd7aad.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile/CE253A1A-4757-4215-B317-C0709AC66438-7137-000004CB2B3942C5_zpsbbafb046.jpg

I don't think I used that much force. I was trying to form 308 into 358 and the rod kept pushing up no matter what. I never got to the point where I was cranking down on it. And I was using a proper box wrench, which isn't that long, to tighten the collet. I still need to call Lee about this. But I also have a set of Redding dies on the way because the Lee design seems like a weak point when case forming. For sizing having the rod slip up and not break the pin is a good thing.

r1kk1
03-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Dragon,

I've formed quite a few cases into one thing or another over the decades and never seen anything like that! To be fair, I don't have very many Lee dies sets. My wife broke the Universal decapper die on 45-70 using a hand press. Shocked me!

Most of my stuff is the other guys dies whether wildcats, proprietary or obsolete stuff.

All I can say is wow! Metal must have been very soft. I seen something earlier in life on a wheel stud where the lug nut was not tight enough and failed. That was on a trailer.

Take care

r1kk1

dragon813gt
03-05-2014, 03:04 PM
This is the first problem I've ever had w/ Lee dies. The broken decapping rod was my fault. A berdan primed case slipped in and I did not stop pulling the handle even though I felt the resistance building. I took a magnet to the collet because I honestly thought it was aluminum. As far as I can tell the threads stripped when backing the collet out. I could feel when they let go. I'm not knocking the product. Every company makes a defective product every now and then.

omgb
03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I used to make 358 cases from military 308. IIRC, I primed the cases, added 3 grains of Bullseye and a cream of wheat filler. They fire-formed perfectly. Using a die was a real PITA with all of the problems you mentioned. This was back in 1979.

omgb
03-05-2014, 03:42 PM
What is a Lee Automater?

Double B
03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Another vote for the hornady new dimension zip spindle sizing dies. There's a reason they give you free bullets....

44Vaquero
03-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Guardian, you almost made Coke squirt out of my nose when I read this "LEE Automator. I've seen photos, but never one in person. If it weren't for 44Vaquero, I wouldn't even know it existed. " Yes, it does deserve a place on this list!

OMGB; This is an Lee Automator:

WallyM3
03-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Then there was the RCBS 'Lil Dandy.

omgb
03-05-2014, 07:00 PM
The automator reminds me of the Swivodex inkwell. The swivodex received a patent in about 1944. It consists of a glass base with a dished out center. An inkwell in the shape of a glass ball sits in the dish. the top of the ball is open and a rubber insert is fitted into the opening. Ink is placed in the ball, the rubber insert popped into place and then to ink the pen, you push it into the rubber insert. The insert pushes down into the well causing ink to flow back up into the insert and ink the tip of the pen. When the pen is removed the ink is sucked back into the glass ball. You can turn it over, tip it, fling it etc. and ink will not leak or spill. A super invention except that it came on the market in the late 1940s. Terrible timing. The Navy bought a buttload of them but...in 1950 the ballpoint pen came on the market and ink pens went the way of the dodo bird. Lee's Automator seems to be a victim of the poor timing. When the only game in town was the Green Machine or the Projector or maybe the Dillon, Lee offered a slick and cheap way to get into progressive loading. Then they shot themselves by releasing the Pro 1000. Life can be a real pain sometimes. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall at Lee HQ when the discussed the lagging sales.

44Vaquero
03-05-2014, 07:18 PM
OMGB,

Surprisingly, Lee's timing on the Automator was even worse than you suspected. The Automator debuted almost a decade after the Pro-1000 and just a year or 2 before the Load-Master hit the market! Not sure what market they were looking at?

garym1a2
03-05-2014, 07:52 PM
lee loadmaster!

gunoil
03-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Hornaday new dimenion dies
lee bullet feeder
Lee 20lb pot

rockshooter
03-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Then there was the RCBS 'Lil Dandy.
I use my Little Dandy daily! I have all the rotors and load pistol calibers as well as 5.56 and 300 Blackout with it.
Loren

WallyM3
03-05-2014, 09:55 PM
I had one and thought it was great, but I don't see it listed (for sale) as much as I used to a year or so ago.

One thing about it annoyed me a little. RCBS chose a non-merchant stock size for the rotors so I couldn't order off the shelf TGP and make them myself. I imagine that's why they did it. I wanted one smaller than their smallest.

omgb
03-05-2014, 09:59 PM
You know, I remember now that I bought a Pro 1000 back in 88 or 89. I hated that ***. Always breaking down, stripping parts, it just wasn't well made. They must work now though cuz lots of guys have them and like them.

rockshooter
03-06-2014, 12:55 AM
I had one and thought it was great, but I don't see it listed (for sale) as much as I used to a year or so ago.

One thing about it annoyed me a little. RCBS chose a non-merchant stock size for the rotors so I couldn't order off the shelf TGP and make them myself. I imagine that's why they did it. I wanted one smaller than their smallest.

Fill the hole in with JB weld and drill it out. I made some "custom" ones that way.
Loren

mdi
03-06-2014, 01:42 PM
And so the Lee bashing begins......
Yep. The heading for the thread is "Reloading Equipment That Just Didn't Pan Out", and without clear examples, the Lee bashers just list anything Lee. Too bad inanimate objects/tools cause such emotional strife/outbursts...

sidecarmike
03-06-2014, 01:53 PM
Yep. The heading for the thread is "Reloading Equipment That Just Didn't Pan Out", and without clear examples, the Lee bashers just list anything Lee. Too bad inanimate objects/tools cause such emotional strife/outbursts...
I agree. It kind of reminds me of all the Hi Point and Keltec bashers who become just as fanatic defenders, once they actually try one.

44Vaquero
03-06-2014, 02:15 PM
MDI,

I look at my use of Lee products this way: Similar to dressing for cold weather, it may not be pretty but I am warm, Lee products may not be the biggest or best but they get the job done! I stopped counting how many rounds my 23 year old Load Master has produced 10 or 15 years ago! In the 1st 5 years I owned it I averaged 2500 rounds a month for a grand total of 30,000! No breakdowns and no major malfunctions, I think I got my $180.00 out of it several times over!!! I am also still using the original priming system (the one that has not been revised 3 times!!).

I now own several Lee Automators that work flawlessly on-top of any press I put them on, a couple of 3 hole turrets, 2001 Challenger O-frame and a couple of Lee Reloaders C-frames. I love my Lyman and Hornady presses for reloading rifles rounds and the Tru-line Jr. W/#55 for old school reloading. To be honest the only equipment that I have tried and did not care for was RCBS presses and bullet molds!!

People need to understand every re-loaders needs and budget are unique. I actually get a perverse sense of satisfaction out of the fact that I have no real issues getting Lee equipment to function correctly where SO MANY OTHERS HAVE FAILED!!!

omgb
03-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I really didn't want this to turn into a Lee bashing thread...and of course I had to express problems I had with an early Pro 1000. My fault, should have kept my trap shut. The whole idea was to explore great ideas that just didn't measure up to their hype.

omgb
03-06-2014, 03:57 PM
How about this one, the mini budget bore sight. Dick Trenk was hawking these back about 8 years ago, maybe even 10 years ago. They were cheap, under $30 so I bought one. If you have a .45 bore or larger and if you only need to see 18" or so down the bore, these are pretty handy tools. However, and this is just my $.02, if you have a long 32 or 34" Sharps barrel they really don't help much.

Mike Kerr
03-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Partial Quote from 44Vaquero:

"I now own several Lee Automators that work flawlessly on-top of any press I put them on, a couple of 3 hole turrets, 2001 Challenger O-frame and a couple of Lee Reloaders C-frames. I love my Lyman and Hornady presses for reloading rifles rounds and the Tru-line Jr. W/#55 for old school reloading. To be honest the only equipment that I have tried and did not care for was RCBS presses and bullet molds!!

People need to understand every re-loaders needs and budget are unique. I actually get a perverse sense of satisfaction out of the fact that I have no real issues getting Lee equipment to function correctly where SO MANY OTHERS HAVE FAILED!!! "

When you talk about Pro 1000's and Load Master's a lot of people have failed - just gave up - moved on to other brands BUT even these items of Lee equipment provide an economical start for a high percentage of reloaders who would NOT EVEN TRY to get started otherwise.

Lee equipment provides a price oriented base for a considerable amount of reloading items. Without Lee's pricing many other brands of loading items would probably escalate prices even more. Lee's lines of turret presses are only one example. These items work, so do their dies, and molds, and pots and a variety of other items. Other brands may or may not work better but a huge segment of people who comprise the potential reloading market would not even start without Lee's price points. They are a valuable sponsor of this site who deserve our thanks as well as our occasional criticism.

bruce drake
03-07-2014, 12:10 AM
Lyman's Universal Depriming Die. Broke the pin off within the first 5 Indian Army surplus 7.62x51 OVF cases... Broke the second replacement pin 3 weeks later in the second batch of R-P 308Win cases... Chucked the dang thing in the desk drawer and its sat there for 12 years. Actual Resizing Dies have been its replacement ever since.

Bruce

44Vaquero
03-07-2014, 06:00 AM
Mike Kerr, Well said!

On a lighter note I recently asked Lee Precision how many Load-masters had been produced since it's introduction in the early 90's and this was the reply I received:

Mar 3 at 5:34 PM

We have manufactured "A Lot" of them. "A lot" is as detailed of an answer as I can give you.

Thanks,

Andy

Lee Precision, Inc.
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: 262-673-3075

Ticket ID: CHA-485-91581

I did not really expect an exact answer, but I was hoping for a little bit more then this???

rbuck351
03-07-2014, 07:11 AM
I have had pretty good luck with almost every piece of loading stuff I have owned. The primer feed on the old Lyman AA press kind of sucks. I traded for a used set of Lee dies in 30/30 and I never could get the deprimer collet tight enough to prevent slipping. I kept tightening more and more until I finally twisted the collet off. And yeah, I was really tweaking on it when it finally broke. After a good looking over it appears that the shaft may have missed the tempering stage as it was swaged smaller in the middle by several thousands. I have several other Lee die sets that work fine, so I assume the deprimer shaft missed the hardening step. As I got them used, I will just buy another deprimer rod and collet. This wouldn't really qualify as a design problem as this is the only one I have seen that didn't work.

Firebricker
03-07-2014, 11:41 AM
What about the progressive shotshell press Lee discontinued? I only know about it because a member posted a picture awhile back. It looked like I good design. BTW I am not bashing Lee I do not use a lot of Lee now but they allowed me to start reloading shot shell and metalic just curious about this particular press. Thanks,FB

omgb
03-07-2014, 12:25 PM
It was called IIRC, the Loadfast or something similar. There's one for sale on Ebay as of yesterday. It was a slick concept, as are all Lee ideas. However it was flawed in design and just wouldn't stay in tune. That's the story being carried over on Trapshooters.com anyway. I have seen one but never used it. I started on a Lee Loadall (still have it but don't use it) and a simple Lee hand tool in 303 Brit. I like most Lee tools, great bang for the buck. The deal is however that Lee is always on the cutting edge of innovation and pushes the envelope when it comes to function/form/cost. If you really are an innovator, you will have some fails, it goes with the territory. That's why I started this thread, I love to see new ideas, even those that don't pan out. Stagnation is the death of advancement. Risk is the mother of all improvement.

r1kk1
03-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Ok.

If you do patent searches you will find many instances of reinventing the wheel. RCBS Summit resembles the Wamadet all too much. The new Lee press mounted case trimmer - look to pacific and even before that.

No matter what I own, someone has gone there and done that. It is interesting endeavor to explore patents. Google is your friend.

I don't see any of the other companies that are listed here like the Apex, 4x4s, etc. where people who own the stuff getting upset. I was surprised not a lot was stated about Smart Reloader. I was not surprised about some but not all of the comments about Lee. I throw out the whole company bashing out but there are too many threads about modifying, cleaning up, Lee-menting, etc. to be taken lightly.

My first rifle cartridge was an 8mm-06 given to me by my grandfather in the 70s. A popular wildcat that you could find -06 cases everywhere but not the -57s. I went to the nearest pawn shop and bought my equipment there. What I didn't have I borrowed from granddad. My first pistol cartridge was a 44 magnum in a Comtender. Soon more barrels followed and I noticed one thing - I had more wildcats that factory cartridges and still do to this day. No factory ammo. I won't even tell you when Old Western Scrounger closed their doors and Navy Arms quit carrying certain brass - I was heart broken. The 33 Winchester and 38-56 had to be loaded for or become wall hangers.

So. . .

I have stuff from every company it seems. I have modified Lee dies for some cartridges, etc., etc. my wife bought me a 270 Winchester barrel for my Encore, looking at Craigslist I found Redding dies for 20.00. I bought them. I just got my 475 GNR barrel today and Hornady is what one gunsmith uses and RCBS is what the other uses for the same cartridge.

Hroughout time I have bought some real duds in equipment. The Apex is gone, RCBS primer pocket swaging tool, the Reloader C, Challenger, aluminum turret press, Load-All, Load-Fast, hollowpoint bullet tool from Forster, Lyman, Hornady, and RCBS case trimmers.

What I have now works for me.

Every reloading tool manufacturer has been hit hard by the current administration. I've seen Smart Reloader stuff even selling at a local gun shop. I waited for my COAX and Summit for months being back ordered. Even my SDB took two months to be rebuilt last year.

I'm glad Lee upgraded the Challenger linkage - it was the weakest link. Nothing wrong with the frame. I wish their custom services would start up again. I need some stuff like a rifle FCD for the 475 GNR.

I will send a tool back no matter what colour it is if it doesn't do as advertised or fit and finish is not what it should be. I work up loads and want to concentrate on that, not dealing with a problematic tool that doesn't have to be! It's my money and time.

What I have on my bench I can recommend. You know what? I can't recommend a whole reloading company as I don't care for some of the stuff they make. My experiences are this. I have had more problems with Lee than any other reloading company. They are not a bad company. I use their custom services side of buisness quite frequently and can recommend them.

I bought an Ultramag II nib this year for a 100.00. Good finds can be had. I paid 200 dollars for the Encore barrel. Just keeping an eye on auctions and papers. At over 100k rounds my 550 has paid for itself I guess, but when dealing with obsolete, proprietary and wildcats, it not hard to get your investment back.

I will have more reloading stuff that I will sell as I purge my reloading room of stuff that collects dust.

Innovation I fear doesn't exist but reinventing the wheel does. I get past Lees claims for this or that. It cracks me up. Largest ram in the industry? Hmmm. . . and yet makes a reference to a press which I own that is larger and solid not hollow. Lee makes some stuff I will own like their decapping die but use a Sinclair for jobs it doesn't do. Rifle FCDs are another thing I have a fondness towards. The new Lee moulds are whole lot nicer than they use to be. I have a custom services mould that drops a 255 grain bullet for my 44 that I enjoy very much. I have around 20 custom services moulds in my collection. Wouldn't want to part with them.

I think, although I don't own either one, the CC series of presses is going to be a winner for the company. It wouldn't push any of my presses of the bench but I give Lee kudos in this product. Three of the four single stages have the primer through the ram disposal feature and predate Lee and even my three did not originate with the idea.

Sorry for the long post. I'm not a fanboy of any company. Bottom line is I pay money for a tool and it better work as advertised or I send it back. It is up to the company to either send me another one or my money. Move on.

Take care folks

r1kk1

omgb
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
I was thinking of the old Belding and Mull presses. I have one of their powder measures and use it for BP. The presses though are not so handy. They take up a lot of bench space as they are horizontal. Shell holders are non-standard. They work, but honestly, not too easily. I still have a collection of rubber bullets that fit into .357 cases. They are powered my a primer and are supposed to allow indoor shooting. Too bad they are loud as a firecracker and emit vaporized lead otherwise they would be kinda slick. I haven't used my set since the 1970s. I have a similar tool by Pacific that makes wax slugs for indoor shooting. All of the same issues make it less than desirable.

fguffey
03-07-2014, 03:57 PM
rbuck351, I have not thought about it lately but I have an old press from the early 50s and or late 40s. When in operation it looks like a spider doing push-ups. It has 4 legs, the two rear legs are secured to the bench and the front ones slide. It is buried and so far back in my collection it will take 6 months of digging to uncover it.

F. Guffey

Firebricker
03-07-2014, 04:21 PM
omgb, I will check that out on trapshooters I think it was called the Loadfast. Like you my first press was a Load All I saved a long time to get the $25 or so it cost new. Then everything seemed expensive lol my first powder was 700x it was more than Red Dot per pound but you could get 700x in half pound cans so it seemed cheaper. I eventually moved up to a Mec but man me and a buddy loaded a lot of shells on that Lee after school. We all can not agree on equipment but I bet we all agree it would be nice to be 12 or 13 years old again LOL. FB

UNIQUEDOT
03-07-2014, 09:34 PM
I bought the load-fast when it was introduced along with all the extras (primer feed and bushings) the press required hitting a trigger on the primer feed as you inserted the next shell into the shellplate. It also used a large nylon indexer and this was it's weak point. It worked well, but I only loaded a few boxes with it as I used mec's for most of my shotshells along with load all's and load all 2's. I gave the loadfast away as It just sat on my bench. It wasn't exactly cheap back the either when you consider it cost $160 plus shipping without the extras and a workhorse sizemaster was considerably cheaper at the time.

UNIQUEDOT
03-07-2014, 09:43 PM
On the subject of Lee progressives...I had a few problems getting the pk1 to work, but no problems after that except for an occasional flipped primer, but I had extremely good luck with the loadmaster and can't figure for the life of me why anyone would have problems with it as if it's properly adjusted from the start it runs like a champ. The loadmaster is an extremely lightweight press though...in fact a tiny pk1 is heavier! I've decided the next progressive I try is going to be the LNL if my shooting picks back up, but at the rate it's fallen off I've just been using my classic turret lately.

Blanket
03-08-2014, 08:06 AM
I really didn't want this to turn into a Lee bashing thread...and of course I had to express problems I had with an early Pro 1000. My fault, should have kept my trap shut. The whole idea was to explore great ideas that just didn't measure up to their hype.

No you should have titled it "With the exception of Lee, what hasn't panned out"

r1kk1
03-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Omgb,

I didn't know there was a tool to make wax slugs. I used to use my demurring tool to give the pistol case a little edge on the case mouth, insert primed case into a block of Gulf Wax and with a little twist it would leave a wax slug in a primed case.

Would love to see pics of that old tool.

Take care

r1kk1

goofyoldfart
03-10-2014, 05:41 AM
I have to say that I've used a lot of Lee equipment (and still do), been doing it since they opened their doors. Guess I've been very lucky. well, in this case, it counts. I shot Trap for 25 years (for fun and competion) and used the Lee Load All and a Mec Jr. yea, I've had a few gliches with a very few of their tools, But they always made good and did it fast. Can't bash Lee. (Of course, my middle name is lee[smilie=1::grin:) God Bless to all and theirs.
Goofyoldfart aka Goofy and Godfrey.

ROGER4314
03-11-2014, 03:11 AM
I started reloading in 1966 on a Texan 12 gauge reloader. I loaded paper hulls and used fiber cushion wads with nitro cards because the new plastic wads were too expensive! I loaded those poor paper hulls so much that they began to burn through at the bottom! SO....What happened to Texan loaders?

Flash

omgb
03-11-2014, 08:13 AM
The company is long gone but the machines are still out there on Ebay and other places.

Blammer
03-11-2014, 08:30 AM
only type of reloading equipment that I've had not work properly for me, (either user error or bad product I don't know) and I steer clear of, is ANY die set that has a decapper that relies on a tension fitting to hold a smooth rod in place for decapping. Hornady ND comes to mind as well as Lee dies, if there is another brand out there that does the same thing, I'll stay away from that too.

William Yanda
03-11-2014, 08:39 AM
I recently learned the ID of an item given to me by a friend who obtained it from a family member. It had a flared handle, which encased a twisted rotating shaft. Operated on the principle of a Yankee screwdriver. Lee Loader Target Model instructions posted here(?) showed it to be a primer pocket cleaner. That's something that if it had proved its worth, would still be available.

alamogunr
03-11-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't really have any gripes but I have picked up some intel that I will remember when shopping. I have had some minor problems w/Hornady decapping pins slipping. More to the point, I will avoid any company(Hornady) with a reputation for poor customer service.

Sweetpea
03-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Hmmm...

I just barely had an issue with a Hornady product, and sent them an email in the evening. When I got up in the morning, there was an email telling me there were replacements on the way.

omgb
03-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I've never experienced any trouble with Hornady customer service. When I need parts for my 366s or my 266s they hook me up right away. I've also gotten technical advice ahoy when I was setting up my LNL presses. So, I don't have an ax to grind with them. However, don't get me started on Lyman. Ugh! FWIW, I call. They never seem to answer email.

flashhole
03-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm in the Hornady customer service - Bad Experience - camp. Once I can l overlook it. 3 times ... that's bad customer service.

Hankster1962
03-20-2014, 01:19 AM
I have to agree with 44Vaquero. I own a fair bit of reloading equipment, bullet molds from Lee, Lyman and RCBS. I also own a wack of reloading equipment from RCBS and Lee, as well as a Lyman 450 and RCBS Lubrisizer. Over the years one thing or another has given me problems. It was not always Lee products.
I own 4 Lee presses, one mounted with an automator, made by Lee. I have reloaded on a 3 hole auto indexing press from Lee for over twenty years. Biggest issue with it was changing the nylon bushing. They have worked flawlessly and are a pleasure to use. Like anything else, proper use and maintenance are the key factors. I just bought the automator several weeks ago. Took the time to set it up and use it properly, works like a charm.
Can honestly say that I have not had any major issues with anything I own.

tomf52
03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
LOL! THIS! :) Actually it came in a box of molds so was basically free but still. I can't imagine anyone using it although I'm sure someone will prove me wrong. I even bought one of the things that fits on that (supposedly) fits every catridge known to man. That 3 jaw chuck thing. Either I broke that right out of the box or it doesn't fit any case I know of. One of the jaws always jams...every time. I mounted the whole shebang on the bench and yanked that cord like a retard with a weed-whacker for about 10 minutes before I knew...this ain't happening. Audie..the Oldfart

This thread kills me! I sometimes wonder the approach some people take to using tools and things. If I have done one,I have done 10000 cases with the Lee Zip Trim and the Three Jaw Chuck. It is still going strong. Oh well, what can I say.

omgb
03-20-2014, 05:41 PM
Different things work better for some folks that others. It's all about how we see and value things. I have a Lyman power trimmer with the universal case jaws....I hate it and I'm pretty tool smart. It just doesn't work smoothly and cases sometimes just won't fit. I should sell it really, I never use it. I have a bunch of pilots for it but never use them.

dromia
03-22-2014, 05:02 AM
RCBS dropped their Ammomaster progressive from their line for some reason which I cannot understand.

I've had mine for 20 years at least and it hasn't failed me yet, I've loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on it and have only needed to replace the little indexing washer recently, supplied FoC by RCBS.

Walter Laich
03-22-2014, 01:12 PM
I did not have success with the Hornaday Cam-Lock bullet puller. After reducing the 10 ten bullets to modern art I decided the impact hammer method was the way I wanted to go.
Not sure if it was me or the cam-lock but was running out of bullets to try it on.

jmorris
03-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Without question the Lee bullet feeder.

You would be better off giving the $25 to a friend to kick you in the balls. At least someone would be happy.

50/50
03-22-2014, 07:23 PM
RCBS Heavy Duty decapping die. The pins are the same size as the regular ones! I thought well, maybe they're made of stonger steel....WRONG! Same as the others. What's that all about? Sold the dies and pins on e-bay. Bought a Lee decapping die. Much better.

Ed in North Texas
03-23-2014, 11:10 AM
A primer pocket cleaner that works like a yankee screwdriver...when you slip...you drill your finger.

Now that brings back memories, I have a couple in a closet somewhere. Marquart? Something like that.

cuzinbruce
03-23-2014, 11:29 AM
My example is a Redding Case Trimmer I bought a few years ago. What a stupid design. Impossible to adjust easily and precisely.

50/50
03-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Although I obviously never tried every one that's been made, but a case trimmer that trims perfect EVERY time. I've got the newest Redding lathe trimmer with a micrometer adjustment.. thought that would be the answer to getting a case to come out perfect every time......Nope. Always varies by a few thousands. It's the only thing I've ever bought from Redding that I wasn't pleased with. To look at it, it's well built. Nothing is cheap and light. It still varies.

Some say the WFT (worlds finest trimmer) is very good, but geez....how much can we spend trying all this **** out? &^#@_(^$#???!!!

cuzinbruce
03-24-2014, 08:56 AM
My Redding trimmer came before the micrometer one. The bearing surface that sets the length revolves on another surface painted with green crinkle paint. Just a mickey mouse design. Now I use file trim dies whenever I can.

youngmman
05-07-2014, 03:02 PM
This has been an interesting thread. I began loading in 1967 while working in a sporting goods store. I took most of my pay in merchandise and I still have most of it but did trade the RCBS Junior II for a Redding T-7 and use an RCBS bench top priming tool because all press mounted priming systems suck IMHO. Use Redding dies almost exclusively now for rifle or pistol except I do use the Lee factory crimp dies for .308, .223, and 45-70. I have never used Lee products because just their appearance on threads like this so much tells me it's a **** shoot that they will actually work well. I may have missed it but I have not seen Redding mentioned once.................enough said.

markinalpine
05-07-2014, 04:29 PM
If your smooth decapping pins are slipping in the chuck, try thoroughly degreasing and rolling them in rosin before reinstalling them. Did that with my Lee Universal Decapper and haven't had any more slippage.
Good luck,
Mark [smilie=s:

9x23win
05-09-2014, 01:27 AM
As much as I like Hornady, my experience with the older Projector progressive was dismal. Primer feed and auto index problems that never went away. So I never got it to work reliably. Gave the reloader to friend and he junked it.

mdi
05-09-2014, 11:39 AM
This thread kills me! I sometimes wonder the approach some people take to using tools and things. If I have done one,I have done 10000 cases with the Lee Zip Trim and the Three Jaw Chuck. It is still going strong. Oh well, what can I say.
Yep, some folks just can't use hand tools...

Hickok
05-09-2014, 02:25 PM
An RCBS hand priming tool with the plastic strips to hold the primers, received it as a gift. It must have been designed by the same engineers who built the Yugo or the Obumer Care website. Piece of junk!

EDG
05-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Lee Load All Jr.
I kind of liked playing with it for making up test rounds to check wad column height.
However there is no way it would take a serious beating from a skeet shooter.
It has spent most of its life on my desk as a conversation piece.
The one I bought is the only one I have seen in person and that is after 35 years of gun shows.

smkummer
05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
RCBS shotgun reloading Die set that turns the rock chucker into a truely single stage shotgun reloader. Lots of pieces to transform one single die into several dies. A novel idea until one simply buys a used mec junior and the heavens open.

waltherboy4040
05-09-2014, 06:22 PM
My Redding trimmer came before the micrometer one. The bearing surface that sets the length revolves on another surface painted with green crinkle paint. Just a mickey mouse design. Now I use file trim dies whenever I can.

I was given one and had the same problem. I added a washer to it and it made it a lot better, I can make a thread or pm you pics if your interested.

3006guns
05-09-2014, 07:04 PM
The Hollywood Universal turret press. I have one that is literally brand new, never installed or used. 43 pounds of American iron that was begging for use. It's been sitting for years in my gun room so I decided to mount it to the bench, oil it up and load a few. One batch of 20 resized rounds was enough......I had to really reef up on that handle in order to get the job done. It simply doesn't have the compound linkage of the more modern Rock Chuckers, etc. and it shows from an "ease of use" standpoint. Sure looks hairy though, bristling with all those dies (16 holes!).

I think I'll make some Hollywood collector happy and stick to my conventional stuff...........

3006guns
05-09-2014, 07:16 PM
I use my Little Dandy daily! I have all the rotors and load pistol calibers as well as 5.56 and 300 Blackout with it.
Loren

I have one also and love the nice, simple design. Not much to go wrong there. In fact, the only reason I have the RCBS is because I can't find the brass rotors for my old Pacific which is the same basic design!

MDphotographer
05-09-2014, 07:35 PM
The Hollywood Universal turret press. I have one that is literally brand new, never installed or used. 43 pounds of American iron that was begging for use. It's been sitting for years in my gun room so I decided to mount it to the bench, oil it up and load a few. One batch of 20 resized rounds was enough......I had to really reef up on that handle in order to get the job done. It simply doesn't have the compound linkage of the more modern Rock Chuckers, etc. and it shows from an "ease of use" standpoint. Sure looks hairy though, bristling with all those dies (16 holes!).

I think I'll make some Hollywood collector happy and stick to my conventional stuff...........

I dont know about the Universal Turret but I love my Hollywood Sr Turret press!

joesig
05-10-2014, 11:34 PM
RCBS dropped their Ammomaster progressive from their line for some reason which I cannot understand.

I've had mine for 20 years at least and it hasn't failed me yet, I've loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on it and have only needed to replace the little indexing washer recently, supplied FoC by RCBS.

This was the only reloading tool that I was less than happy with. While my blood runs RCBS green, blue got this right.

RCBS did send me a 375 neck expander die with a 416 spud in it! That was a blessing in disguise. I have since made most of my own expander dies from that one.

Any other problems were my own doing regardless of the color of the box they came in.

Kilroy08
05-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Lee's "Perfect" Powder Measure. The dang thing would not stop dribbling and peeing powder all over the place.

The only other problem child was the priming system on my Load Master. I'm not knocking the press, it's a great deal as long as you understand its quirks. It was what I could afford at the time and made plenty of ammo for me, with the exception of a boogered primer or two every 50-60 rounds loaded. I was going to do all the mods to iron it out, but got side tracked by a steal of a deal on a gently used Dillon 550. The Load Master has now been retired and might be coming to an aUction website near you.

The RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2. Pain in the butt and tedious are all that the forum rules will allow me to use to describe it. The only saving grace on this tool was I won a $50 Amazon gift card and bought it with that. I was considering replacing it with CH4D's swage tool, until I read several mixed reviews. I think I'll just go all in and get the Dillon tool. Wasn't there some old saying about buying cheap and ending up buying twice?

omgb
05-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I bought the RCBS new model primer swager to replace the old press mounted one I had. The new one is modeled after the Dillon one with a few changes/upgrades or whatever. it works very well and was $10 or $15 cheaper than the Dillon tool. Same exact principal except the motion of the swaging lever is horizontal rather than vertical. Oh, and it's green :)

CHeatermk3
05-11-2014, 01:49 PM
The only other problem child was the priming system on my Load Master. I'm not knocking the press, it's a great deal as long as you understand its quirks. It was what I could afford at the time and made plenty of ammo for me, with the exception of a boogered primer or two every 50-60 rounds loaded. I was going to do all the mods to iron it out, but got side tracked by a steal of a deal on a gently used Dillon 550. The Load Master has now been retired and might be coming to an aUction website near you.

The RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo 2. Pain in the butt and tedious are all that the forum rules will allow me to use to describe it. The only saving grace on this tool was I won a $50 Amazon gift card and bought it with that. I was considering replacing it with CH4D's swage tool, until I read several mixed reviews. I think I'll just go all in and get the Dillon tool. Wasn't there some old saying about buying cheap and ending up buying twice?

Dillon tools are quality and their customer service can't be beat--my 550 developed an alignment problem after many thousands of 223 and 45acp reloads--I sent it to them and they replaced a worn linkage arm and returned it after completely refurbishing it and upgrading to the B model--for free except for shipping to them-they paid the freight back to me).

Be advised that there are a couple of parts that WILL wear out and fail without warning, possibly causing squibs if you don't catch it immediately.

The one that comes to mind is the square plastic end of the actuator arm that operates the powder dispenser--it will fall off the arm and if you'e merrily cranking out rounds(as I was) you may not notice it for a while--Dillon will send you replacements for them free if you ask. I recommend not waiting for the loaded rounds box to fill up before dumping them into whatever you use to keep them in--I do this every primer fill but haven't been caught seating bullets in empty cases since the first time--had to pull about 200+ 45acp.

texassako
05-13-2014, 11:35 PM
How about the Vamco priming tool? I just got one set up tonight, needed a bushing to retrofit an RCBS tube for the missing primer tube. Universal shell holder, did not need bolting down to use, adjustable primer depth stop, fairly small size, and overall a pleasure to use. I don't know why it was not successful. The only thing I can think of is you have to adjust some tiny screws for the shell holder if the next brass is very different in size from the previous, maybe it is hard to switch primer sizes(mine only has parts for large), or a high price.

44Vaquero
05-14-2014, 12:04 AM
Texassako, something new/old every day! I have never seen a Vamco before, looks like a quality piece. Where did you find it?

texassako
05-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Texassako, something new/old every day! I have never seen a Vamco before, looks like a quality piece. Where did you find it?

Right here in Swappin & Sellin.

youngmman
05-27-2014, 10:37 AM
The RCBS Automatic Bench Top Priming Tool is a dream to use and is fast and sensitive, but there are two models: one has the primer strips and I have never heard anything good about it, the second uses the tubes. The tube type is the one I use and I love it. It actually saves time to do the priming separately from the press mounted systems, not to include the progressives though.

In fairness, I bought mine before the strip type came out so I don't have any actual experience with the strips.

enfieldphile
05-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Although I obviously never tried every one that's been made, but a case trimmer that trims perfect EVERY time. I've got the newest Redding lathe trimmer with a micrometer adjustment.. thought that would be the answer to getting a case to come out perfect every time......Nope. Always varies by a few thousands. It's the only thing I've ever bought from Redding that I wasn't pleased with. To look at it, it's well built. Nothing is cheap and it still varies!

This was my experience w/ a Lyman Orange trimmer made in the mid 80's. It always varied a bit. I replaced it w/ a Wilson around 2002. The Wilson is rock steady!

I sold the Lyman on evil bay. I think I broke even on it.

flashhole
05-27-2014, 04:57 PM
The RCBS Automatic Bench Top Priming Tool is a dream to use and is fast and sensitive, but there are two models: one has the primer strips and I have never heard anything good about it, the second uses the tubes. The tube type is the one I use and I love it. It actually saves time to do the priming separately from the press mounted systems, not to include the progressives though.

In fairness, I bought mine before the strip type came out so I don't have any actual experience with the strips.

There is actually a third model RCBS bench mount priming system that does only one at a time and the operator has to feed it one-at-a-time. I have two set up on my bench, one for large primers and one for small primers. Just swap out the shell holder as needed. One of the best tools I've ever used.

flashhole
05-27-2014, 05:00 PM
This was my experience w/ a Lyman Orange trimmer made in the mid 80's. It always varied a bit. I replaced it w/ a Wilson around 2002. The Wilson is rock steady!

I sold the Lyman on evil bay. I think I broke even on it.

I'm a big fan of the Lee Case Length Gage and Cutter system. Inexpensive (not cheap) and dirt simple to use. The Ball Handle Cutter and the Lee 3-Jaw Chuck mounted in a drill is the way to go. Saves your hand from cramping and 100%repeatable.

WallyM3
05-27-2014, 05:05 PM
"There is actually a third model RCBS bench mount priming system that does only one at a time and the operator has to feed it one-at-a-time. I have two set up on my bench, one for large primers and one for small primers. Just swap out the shell holder as needed. One of the best tools I've ever used."

Agreed!

ohland
06-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Bought a few older Hornady New Dimension dies off of ebuy, and they had the smooth spindle. Cannot tighten down the collet to stop all spindle slip. Hornady must have gotten a few irate messages, because the Zip Spindle is available to retrofit older ND dies.

Item Number 043401

Swapping in one of these is the difference between night and day.