PDA

View Full Version : Huldra tactical rifles

wis40
03-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Hey all! Long winter here in WI. Am in the market for ,556 tactical rifle in the $1500 or less range. Have been very impressed with the huldra mkIV that is sold exclusively by mills fleet farm. Their gas piston system seems to make great sense and have heard some great reviews. Looking for honest reviews from all of my fellow enthusiasts who have any experience with them. Thanks in advance!!

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-02-2014, 06:05 PM
This is just an opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. To me, if you're going to buy a gas piston rifle, buy one that was designed from the ground up at a gas piston gun. To take a gas impingement rifle and modify it to operate as a gas piston is just adding weight to solve a non-existent reliability problem the AR's never really had in the first place.

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-07-2014, 04:19 PM
What Dave said, plus one!

Moonie
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
I have to agree, solving a non-existent problem.

wch
03-12-2014, 08:56 PM
The gas piston mod solves the same problem as fluting a barrel: it relieves the shooter's wallet of some cash.

wis40
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Actually if you visit the adams arms site it will clear up the thought that this was an add on to bring this weapon into gas piston operation. They do offer an option for upfitting present weapons to operate on thier system but their actual uppers are built with this system. They are the mfg for Huldra arms that is a Mills fleet farm exclusive product. Not trying so much to disagree but have done a ton of research and thats just the facts. Thanks, wis40

DCM
03-15-2014, 07:20 PM
If you really shoot a lot the piston saves a ton of time cleaning!
I only cleaned my M1A trigger group and bolt once a year when competing with it, I had to clean the bolt and trigger group inthe AR at least once a week when I was competing with it.
We put a mark on our gas plugs so we know exactly where to torque them back to after cleaning the piston ~ once a month.
We usually shoot 2-88 shot matches per week + at least 1 88 shot practice per week often more.
If it is semi auto I really want a piston.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Actually if you visit the adams arms site it will clear up the thought that this was an add on to bring this weapon into gas piston operation. Actually, adams arms was not the inventor of this device. But they do manufacture it and the desire is to make money. Anything read on their website should be viewed as advertising, because that's what it is. Something to help you make a decision to let go of your money.

They do offer an option for upfitting present weapons to operate on thier system but their actual uppers are built with this system. Nevertheless, still an add on to the existing design, which was reliable in the first place, in spite of all internet bs to the contrary.

They are the mfg for Huldra arms that is a Mills fleet farm exclusive product. This is the kind of statement women who buy designer jeans use to justify their purchase. No facts are here, just lots of glittering generality aka advertising.

Not trying so much to disagree but have done a ton of research and thats just the facts. [COLOR="#FF0000"]You've done a ton of reading on the internet. No facts there, just lots of opinion. Our government, who's spent a ton of actual money on real scientific research and testing, has NOT chosen to add pistons to the gas impingement system, including their latest purchased sniper rifles. If it was a significant improvement, either in reliability or performance, chances are they would have purchased it. [COLOR]

The gas piston mod solves the same problem as fluting a barrel: it relieves the shooter's wallet of some cash. Now here is some basic truth and is backed up by our government's failure to purchase any gas piston upgrades/changes to the M16/AR systems they've been upgrading and changing constantly since it's introduction in Vietnam. If there was a real improvement, such as a dot sight, they've employed it.

But it's your money, spend it any way you wish. But other than saving cleaning, the gas piston system just adds weight to an already reliable system. If you plan on defending your home and don't have to carry it any distance, that's fine. But if a serious disaster strikes and you actually need to carry it any distance, every pound of extra weight you have to carry will be important. You should ask yourself this question: "Do I want to carry a 6-7 pound rifle or a 20 pound rifle?" There's enough internet ranger add-ons out there to make an AR weigh that much and many have their rifles loaded with all that. God help them if they ever need to carry them any where.

And the older/feebler you get, the truer this is. My personal home defense SHTF AR is as light as I could make it, with the exception of a red dot sight I added to help make up for my aging eyes.

wis40
03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Actually I never made the statement or even inference,sir, that Adam's Arms invented this technology. Never stated or inferred, sir, that the DI was anything other than reliable. The gas piston system in my Huldra weighs all of about 6 ounces. And I am intending to keep my weapon as light as possible also. Other than sights it will be as is. I did a lot of research( hands on, statistics, specs, and customer discussions) before I made a call on what I would purchase. I feel that the system is reliable and if it keeps more **** out of the chamber because of the operating system then hooray for me.Respectfully wis40
P.S. I buy my jeans at Fleet Farm too.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Actually I never made the statement or even inference,sir, that Adam's Arms invented this technology. Never stated or inferred, sir, that the DI was anything other than reliable. The gas piston system in my Huldra weighs all of about 6 ounces. And I am intending to keep my weapon as light as possible also. Other than sights it will be as is. I did a lot of research( hands on, statistics, specs, and customer discussions) before I made a call on what I would purchase. I feel that the system is reliable and if it keeps more **** out of the chamber because of the operating system then hooray for me.Respectfully wis40
P.S. I buy my jeans at Fleet Farm too.

In discussions about politics, I've generally considered having won the argument when the other side (typically liberals) becomes insulting. You've repeated "sir" twice and deliberately used lower case "s," thereby being "respectful" while being subtly insulting at the same time. Kind of a "Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is made up and you're making me angry, so I'm starting to get nasty with you" deal.

That said, unnecessary is unnecessary, regardless of who invented it. Installing an unnecessary system in a weapon that adds weight implies the original system was unreliable.

6 ounces is just two shy of half a pound and on a 6 1/2 pound rifle, increases the weight by 5.77% (rounded up per mathematical convention). If you had a load out you could carry a significant distance on foot and had to keep that load out the same, you'd have to choose where to eliminate the added weight. Say, how about decreasing the amount of water you carry by 6 ounces? Hmm, maybe not a good idea.

If you were serious about keeping your weapon as light as possible, you would not have added the piston system. Your research may have been "extensive," but has some flaws. For instance, did you access government reliability weapons from say, WWI to the present? If you had, you would know that gas piston systems can and do fail/jam. (See, for instance, the M1 and M1 Carbine rifles of WWII.) You would also know that gas piston systems are inherently less accurate. (See for instance, M14 vs. M16 in High Power rifle competition and/or the current .308 gas impingement based sniper rifles.)

As far as keeping stuff out of the chamber, anyone who's been in a single (one) firefight does not have to be made to clean whatever weapon/s he has after use. He wants to do so, in order to insure the highest reliability possible. Not cleaning a weapon after use is asking for failure when it is needed most.

So hooray for you, it was your money and you spent it as you wished. Just don't be disappointed when others think it's not the "bomb" and aren't excited for your choice.

I am sorry you feel other folks, particularly myself, who are being honest and forthright to you, but not telling you what you want to hear is hateful and disrespectful. It is not, it is simply being honest. Something this world could use more of.

About your P.S.: I don't care where you buy your jeans. (Perhaps another subtle insult implying perhaps I'm gay and what is you wear is important to me for not supporting you in what I consider a waste of money? I think so. At this point, I consider any further discussion with you a waste of my time. You're not looking for the truth. You're looking for affirmation.

Hard to be respectful of an individual who pretends to be, but is not.

Sincerely,

wis40
03-17-2014, 07:01 PM
You are right I wasn't entirely respectful. For that I sincerely apologize. I can tell that you are extremely knowledgable about the subject and would welcome advice in the future. I did not mean any disrespect with my "just the facts" post. As far as the last post I guess the designer jeans comment set me off. That said,is it respectful to put words in my mouth? Again, I did not say that AA invented the gas piston system,nor did I say that DI was anything but reliable. I simply like the idea that it directs the fouling somewhere besides the chamber. I sincerely hope that I am not coming off disrespectful here either because that is not my intention. Respectfully................Alex in WI