PDA

View Full Version : what type of alloy?

desteve811
03-01-2014, 05:53 AM
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd410/desteve1981/Mobile%20Uploads/20140301_044322.jpg (http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/desteve1981/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140301_044322.jpg.html)

Anyone know what type of alloy these are? Hard to scratch with my finger nail. I can melt them down with a small torch.

Hickory
03-01-2014, 06:33 AM
First guess would be zinc.

Rogerf
03-01-2014, 11:19 AM
I have the chance to get some "radiator drippings / dross form a radiator shop. It is full of dirt, rust, crud but the bucket are heavy indicating a good percent of lead. I am sure it is mostly solder probably 50-50. Is this worth the effort to try and smelt out everything and get the lead and what percent of clean lead could I expect as they have not given me a price yet.
Thanks for any help

bangerjim
03-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Probably zinc. Drop some muriatic (pool) acid on one. If Pb......nothing. If Zn......bubble & fizz.

Fastest easiest way to know. Scratching tells you nothing! Zn AND Pb will both melt with a "torch"..........not a scientific test at all.

Good luck.

banger

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-01-2014, 12:03 PM
I have the chance to get some "radiator drippings / dross form a radiator shop. It is full of dirt, rust, crud but the bucket are heavy indicating a good percent of lead. I am sure it is mostly solder probably 50-50. Is this worth the effort to try and smelt out everything and get the lead and what percent of clean lead could I expect as they have not given me a price yet.
Thanks for any help
If all the drippings are from Solder, anything under $6 per lb is a good deal.

If I were to acquire such a bucket where the owner of the shop didn't say that it was all solder "for sure", I'd offer less, then I'd try to wash/rinse/clean the everything and sort through it before smelting it.

Recovered 50-50 solder in ingots are probably worth about $8 a pound or more, while WW or various scrap Lead alloys for use as boolit Lead in ingots is worth about $1 per lb.

TiteWadShooter
03-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I think lead would be way too soft to be used as cable crimps. Don't you think?

bangerjim
03-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks for any help

What does this even have to do with the OP's question?

banger

KYCaster
03-01-2014, 07:18 PM
I think lead would be way too soft to be used as cable crimps. Don't you think?

Probably security seals to make sure the cargo wasn't tampered with between the shipping point and the receiving point.

Probably Zn unless they're very old.

Jerry