PDA

View Full Version : Reamer Blanks and Laps for Point Form Dies

u.p. north
02-28-2014, 11:12 PM
I am in the coming weeks going to be offering reamer blanks for cutting point form dies. They will be made out of 0-1 drill rod and be 3" O.A.L. and be able to cut 2" deep and be .006"-.008" under caliber size. Most reamers can be made to what size diameter you prefer under caliber size, and also whatever other dimension you wish for a extra $10.00.
Option 1: Reamer blank with ogive just cut on them. Price $32.00 Shipped
Option 2: Reamer blank with flutes and ogive cut on them. Price $64.00 Shipped
Option 3: Complete Reamer ready to cut. Price $144.00 Shipped

Option 1: will be just as it says with the ogive C.N.C. lathe cut on them.
Option 2: will have the flutes cut and the ogive cut into them. They will need to be heat treated and sharpened.
Option 3: is just as it says.
I can also offer laps cut from the same program in .0002" increments.
I have a good supply of 0-1 drill rod up to 3/4" diameter to accomadate your needs.

I will offer the first customer of each caliber a just pay the flat rate shipping as long as you are in the U.S.A.. After that for the month of March I can offer a 15% off your order price. Please let me here your comments on this as what you would prefer to see on these. I have seen a lot of do it yourselfers that are having repeatability issues in cutting there ogives between the reamers and the laps. My offering these will solve this problem.....
Thank You,
U.P. North

The you pay only the shipping can only be offered for the blanks with just the ogive cut on them. You will need to mill the flutes , heat treat and sharpen them. Also the laps are not included in this offer. I was thinking also a roughing reamer and then a finish reamer is the best way to go with cutting your dies.... U.P. North
Here is a link to this found on my Vendor Sponsor page: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232816-Reamer-Blanks-and-Laps-for-Point-Form-Dies
I figured I would post some pictures of some 25 caliber reamer blanks. Three are roughers and the other three are finishers. I am waiting for the brass to get delivered so I can make the laps. These came out perfect .

R.Ph. 380
03-01-2014, 12:40 AM
Tim,

Will it be up to us to heat treat and then sharpen? I think I'm getting my hopes up too much and am afraid that they will not be usable with a drill press, but will have to have at least as hobby lathe to use. Right?

Bill

garandsrus
03-01-2014, 01:27 AM
I will offer the first customer of each caliber a just pay the flat rate shipping as long as you are in the U.S.A..
Thank You,
U.P. North

If the cost is just shipping, I would like to sign up for the 6mm (.243) reamer. I have a mill so I should be able to cut the flutes. I would also need laps and would be more than willing to pay for those.

Thanks!

Utah Shooter
03-01-2014, 03:01 AM
If the cost is just shipping, I would like to sign up for the 6mm (.243) reamer. I have a mill so I should be able to cut the flutes. I would also need laps and would be more than willing to pay for those.

Thanks!

Not to jump on a wagon but I would be interested in a .20 or a .17 and would need laps as well.

u.p. north
03-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Tim,

Will it be up to us to heat treat and then sharpen? I think I'm getting my hopes up too much and am afraid that they will not be usable with a drill press, but will have to have at least as hobby lathe to use. Right?

Bill

Bill,
I would rather the customer heat treat and sharpen them. 01 is pretty easy to heat treat and anneal with a oxy acetylene torch. I think a small lathe would be the way to go. I think maybe on a drill press you could cut casting molds if you finished the reamer correct to cut a blind hole. Hope that makes sense. U.P. North

I could heat treat them in my oven if it would help you out. You would still need to sharpen them.

u.p. north
03-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Garandsrus,
Sent you a private message.

Thanks!

u.p. north
03-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Joe,
I will need to see if I have a sample projectile of one of them. I will send you a private message.U.P. North

Not to jump on a wagon but I would be interested in a .20 or a .17 and would need laps as well.

ratboy
03-01-2014, 01:20 PM
i would like to get in on this. i am in need of a 25 caliber rifle reamer. i would like the flutes cut as i am not sure i have the needed tooling to set up the mill at work to do it. i also would like some laps as well. i feel you should get something for your time even if you did offer to do the first ones for shipping. shoot me a pm and we can come to an agreement im sure.

u.p. north
03-01-2014, 01:49 PM
ratboy,
pm sent to you.

thank you,
u.p. north

i would like to get in on this. i am in need of a 25 caliber rifle reamer. i would like the flutes cut as i am not sure i have the needed tooling to set up the mill at work to do it. i also would like some laps as well. i feel you should get something for your time even if you did offer to do the first ones for shipping. shoot me a pm and we can come to an agreement im sure.

u.p. north
03-01-2014, 02:00 PM
The you pay only the shipping can only be offered for the blanks with just the ogive cut on them. You will need to mill the flutes , heat treat and sharpen them. Also the laps are not included in this offer. I was thinking also a roughing reamer and then a finish reamer is the best way to go with cutting your dies.... U.P. North

u.p. north
03-01-2014, 09:16 PM
Just got done checking on brass prices. Looks like it will be 360 grade brass for the laps. Won't break the bank and has excellent machining properties......U.P.North

ratboy
03-01-2014, 09:51 PM

still a deal. i think if i am careful i can mill the flutes in the lathe

u.p. north
03-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Here is who is in on the reamer blanks and laps so far:
1. garandsrus .243 reamer blank and laps
2. MTSWAGER .224 reamer blank and laps
3. ratboy .25 caliber reamer blank and laps
4. RPH380 ????

The laps are a extra charge for the machining time and material(brass $12.00 each). I would recommend laps in .0002" intervals starting at reamed size and going up to the finished size. If you use pure lead you should be able to go to finished size. The laps and reamers will be cut from the same program so it is a guaranteed match between the two. I use a roughing reamer that leaves between .006"- .008" to be reamed by the finish reamer. A D-reamer works well for the rougher and a four flute reamer works really good for the finish reamer. Also for the lapping you can use the clover brand lapping compound which you can buy from enco in various grits. There are places on ebay selling the diamond polishing compound in syringes and I think the whole set of the different compounds are around $25.00 plus shipping. It works well taking the last .001 to .0005" out of the die after it is heat treated. I lap the die when it is soft, then heat treat and polish the last of the material out. I have tried using different grit stones to also take some of the material out b ut it is hard to get a consistent straight hole. I found the laps are the best way to go from start to finish....
Everything should fit in a small flat rate box. This can also be found on my Vendor Sponsor page, here is the link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232816-Reamer-Blanks-and-Laps-for-Point-Form-Dies
Thank You,
U.P. North

R.Ph. 380
03-02-2014, 02:07 PM
I will have to use my molds as we discussed before. I don't have any confidence in using my drill press as a mill head. So I'll try going the other way. Maybe after I see how this is going to work can I adapt my drill press.

Bill

u.p. north
03-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Here is who is in on the reamer blanks and laps so far:
1. garandsrus .243 reamer blank and laps
2. MTSWAGER .224 reamer blanks and laps
3. ratboy .25 caliber reamer blank and laps
4. RPH380 ????

The laps are a extra charge for the machining time and material(brass $12.00 each). I would recommend laps in .0002" intervals starting at reamed size and going up to the finished size. If you use pure lead you should be able to go to finished size. The laps and reamers will be cut from the same program so it is a guaranteed match between the two. I use a roughing reamer that leaves between .006"- .008" to be reamed by the finish reamer. A D-reamer works well for the rougher and a four flute reamer works really good for the finish reamer. Also for the lapping you can use the clover brand lapping compound which you can buy from enco in various grits. There are places on ebay selling the diamond polishing compound in syringes and I think the whole set of the different compounds are around $25.00 plus shipping. It works well taking the last .001 to .0005" out of the die after it is heat treated. I lap the die when it is soft, then heat treat and polish the last of the material out. I have tried using different grit stones to also take some of the material out b ut it is hard to get a consistent straight hole. I found the laps are the best way to go from start to finish....
Everything should fit in a small flat rate box. This can also be found on my Vendor Sponsor page, here is the link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232816-Reamer-Blanks-and-Laps-for-Point-Form-Dies
Thank You,
U.P. North

Still have a bunch of calibers open for you do it yourselfers to take advantage of. This is a perfect opportunity for those of you wanting to make your own point forming die. Remember it is hard to duplicate from reamer to lap and exact match between the two. I am just about done with the current batch of presses and will be starting on the blanks hopefully by the weekend. I have the 01 tool steel in stock and will be ordering the brass for the laps hopefully on Thursday. ....... Tim (U.P. North)

u.p. north
03-05-2014, 12:06 PM
I figured I would post some pictures of some .25 caliber reamer blanks. Three are roughing reamer blanks and the other three are finishing reamer blanks.

ratboy
03-05-2014, 05:38 PM
I figured I would post some pictures of some .25 caliber reamer blanks. Three are roughing reamer blanks and the other three are finishing reamer blanks.

:goodpost:

MTSWAGER
03-06-2014, 02:46 AM
I would be interested in one for .224!!! will also need some laps.

ratboy
03-09-2014, 11:50 PM
i am surprised more people are not getting in on this deal.:coffeecom

Red River Rick
03-10-2014, 01:47 PM
i am surprised more people are not getting in on this deal.:coffeecom

Because people are LEARY! They're probably going to wait.

RRR

u.p. north
03-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Got some reamer blanks and brass laps made this afternoon. They turned out perfectly and were cut from the same program so they are all a matched set. They are 25 caliber with a 6s ogive. I have all material available to turn these out for you.

Thanks for looking and have a good one...... U.P. North

ratboy
03-21-2014, 07:21 PM
i received my blanks and laps. this should greatly speed up my die making process. need to get my hands on some more tooling and then will get them fluted and sharpened.

Utah Shooter
03-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Keep us posted. I wanted to but then decided since I have absolutely nothing else to make dies that I decided not to. I am anxious to see your results.

u.p. north
03-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Well everybody should have there reamer blanks and laps now. They turned out very good and we should be hearing and seeing some results in a while. I still have caliber choices on the you pay the shipping only deal. I am going to run the deal on that thru the month of April. After that it will be on a pay basis only. U.P. North

u.p. north
05-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Here are some reamers before the flutes are cut in them. Two are roughers and two are finishers with a 6s ogive. Will make the laps after the heat treating is done,as I have some punches for trim dies that need to be heat treated so I can get them sent out.

kweidner
05-31-2014, 04:59 AM
Here are some reamers before the flutes are cut in them. Two are roughers and two are finishers with a 6s ogive. Will make the laps after the heat treating is done,as I have some punches for trim dies that need to be heat treated so I can get them sent out.

now these i would be interested in trying!

R.Ph. 380
05-31-2014, 05:03 PM
Well, those ya can't have 'cause they're mine, but I'm sure Tim will cut you some too. Those happen to be my 30 caliber reamers and he's making the laps for them now. Really looking forward to them.

Bill

u.p. north
06-02-2014, 12:57 PM
R.PH. 380,
Figured I would give you a preview of what you will be receiving. The laps and reamers are cut from the same program so they are a guaranteed matched set. I can cut any caliber with any ogive you want, and any size o.d. reamers you want. Either send me a p.m. or reply right here.

R.Ph. 380
06-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Tim, Still in Colorado but that looks great. That's exactly what we had talked about. Just send the cost. Wow. My set is beautiful.

Bill

MaxJon
08-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Awesome! Exactly what I am after! I hope you still offer this service?

Red River Rick
08-04-2016, 07:39 PM
bullbarrel033:

You might want to read this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?279645-Raging-Swaging

RRR

dverna
08-04-2016, 08:19 PM
RRR

Thanks for the link. A real eye opener.

garandsrus
08-07-2016, 12:22 AM
For some reason, the laps were shipped very quickly. I was very happy with what I received.

BLASTER62
08-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Up north pm me like to talk about a reamer thanks