PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some info on Savage 99 Screws

dragon813gt
02-28-2014, 08:12 PM
deleted

pietro
02-28-2014, 09:52 PM

The correct estucheon cannot correct for a too-long screw, since the outer face of the estucheon should be fitted flush with, or a little below, the surface of the forend wood.

I would suggest cutting the case heads from the (fired) cartridge each rifle is chambered for, then surface grind/file the inside/forward part of the case heads (after punching out the spent primers with a nail) until the case head thickness is about that of a flat washer.

Then, lay the prepared case heads over the hole & scribe around them before relieving (inletting) the wood withing the scribed circle to the depth of the new casehead estucheon thickness.

Drill through the center of both casehead/forend wood, for whatever screw you want to use that fits the hanger threads - then shorten the screw the appropriate amount to hold the forend tightly to the barrel.

gnoahhh
03-01-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm a little unclear as to what the issue is here. You need screws or escutcheons, or both? An escutcheon can be made in about 15 minutes by anyone with a lathe. Heck, give me the exact dimensions and I'll turn you one. (I don't want to wrestle any of them out of the Savages I own.) If the screw has the correct threads but is too long, simply grind it to length. If the screw head is too big to fit an existing escutcheon, chuck the screw in a drill press and take a file to it until it does fit.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best: a couple wraps of duct tape will hold the fore arm on for a long time!:)