PDA

View Full Version : Barn is all down

nekshot
02-28-2014, 06:58 PM
We decided this winter to tear down a old barn and burn the wood for heat. I figured we have 2 winters worth of wood and then came the vortexes or what ever and now the wood is almost gone! Talk about a pile of nails. I figured this way I can control the nails rather than burning in a pile and getting flat tires on the tractors the rest of our lives here.

sparky45
02-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Musta been Pine.

LUBEDUDE
02-28-2014, 07:57 PM
Free wood is always fine!

s mac
02-28-2014, 08:10 PM
I've torn down a couple of barn, it not free wood. Maybe cash free,

Wolfer
02-28-2014, 08:57 PM
Heated twice is what that is

nekshot
02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Sparky it was all hardwood from the land here. No soft wood to talk about here.

bearcove
02-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Still a different thing than those pellet stoves

pworley1
02-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Location is everything, After I "retired" the first time I bought a small bandmill. Here in the south I can't even give hardwood slabs away.

Frank46
03-01-2014, 12:00 AM
I had a huge pecan tree come down one year. After I got all the small stuff picked up and set up to burn I asked around if anyone needed the wood. Except for about 4' in the trunk the main body was all clear clean wood. No one was even remotely interested not even for smoking meats. So for the next year or so would take the chain saw down when I cut the grass and whittle off a few chunks at a time. Smelled great when burning. Frank

RED333
03-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Location is everything, After I "retired" the first time I bought a small bandmill. Here in the south I can't even give hardwood slabs away.
If the drive from TN was not so far I would take all of it.

Old barns are SO dry, they burn hot and fast.

w5pv
03-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Find an old retiree that burns wood and he /she will be very gratiful for it.If I was closer the problem would be taken off your hands.

Rick N Bama
03-02-2014, 01:10 AM

The last 2 or 3 winters I burned wood, slabs were all I burned. I had to buy them at $15.00 for a banded up bundle, but there was at least 2 PU Truck loads of wood in each bundle. That worked out great for me.

Hardcast416taylor
03-02-2014, 02:47 AM
If that barn has been standing there over 25 years then it is "dead dry" as we call it up here. Once it gets alight it burns very fast and a draft (wind) hurries it up even more.Robert

nekshot
03-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Slapwood sure produces alot of ashes but they are good on the garden, I heard recently ashes on the garden produces the trace minerals we need in the veggies. Burn more slabwood I say!

Mike in TX
03-02-2014, 10:07 AM
In the 1950's my father decided to take down the original barn on the farm in VT. It was put up by my great great grandfather in the 1840's or 1850's. We took all of the side boards and roof off and hitched the tractor to the beams. Big mistake. Those elm beams were tenoned with oak pegs and all that we did was to make it crooked. Finally my father had to cut the tenons. It was the original cow barn used as a hen house for years. We threw some Alaskan white corn in the ground and it grew so bit that the coons were able to climb the stocks but the ears were so big that they could not bend them off nor open them. Sorry about the high jack.

winchester85
03-02-2014, 10:58 AM
please dont burn all the wood from old buildings. that stuff is worth a lot of money. i have a bandmill and a large portion of what i do with it is resaw the beams into flooring and siding. the 1x and 2x i resaw into 1x for trim and siding. some of the hardwoods if in big pieces are worth a couple of dollars per board foot.

JSnover
03-02-2014, 11:40 AM
please dont burn all the wood from old buildings. that stuff is worth a lot of money. i have a bandmill and a large portion of what i do with it is resaw the beams into flooring and siding. the 1x and 2x i resaw into 1x for trim and siding. some of the hardwoods if in big pieces are worth a couple of dollars per board foot.

Isn't it ironic... They could have sold to you and bought more firewood with the money.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-02-2014, 11:50 AM

There is a fellow in the Glencoe area that does the same thing. He'll PAY to tear down your Barn. Not only does he Mill the beams into flooring and 'other' uses, He has a way of cleaning the 'slabs' (outside faces) of the beams and the inner building 1x, then sells it for the shabby chic crowd. I don't think he is getting rich, but he is making a successful income.

JSnover
03-02-2014, 11:52 AM
There is a LOT of money in old wood, especially if it's been buried or submerged.

dragon813gt
03-02-2014, 12:04 PM
If the barn floor was heart pine you just burned up thousands of dollars. W/ the amount of old homes here w/ heart pine floors it's in demand. Especially since they are being renovated and expanded. The owners want the floors to match from old to new and pay accordingly.

s mac
03-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Something tells me if Nekshot is in the Ozarks his barn was built of oak.

10x
03-02-2014, 04:40 PM
If the barn floor was heart pine you just burned up thousands of dollars. W/ the amount of old homes here w/ heart pine floors it's in demand. Especially since they are being renovated and expanded. The owners want the floors to match from old to new and pay accordingly.

Wood that has spent time as the floor of a barn has a unique smell to it on a damp day - even after 40 years. I have visited several homes with wood salvaged from barns - I can recognize the smell of an old barn anywhere. Wood salvaged from a chicken coop is worse.

sparky45
03-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Sparky it was all hardwood from the land here. No soft wood to talk about here.

Ouch!! If that's the case, you just burnt up a small fortune (depending on the size of the barn) in Hard wood, likely Oak. Companies back east an in the north pay big bucks for that type of wood.

Hardcast416taylor
03-03-2014, 12:05 AM
If you don`t think those old gray barn siding boards are worth money, try buying some to make an old style picture frame!Robert

nekshot
03-03-2014, 05:54 PM
i am aware of the old barn board mkt. This was a quanset building. The arches were 4 layers of hard wood 1x4's (alot of nails in these) and the purlins were 1x6 hardwwod also. At the bottom was 21/2x8 plates solid hardwood with termite holes.The wood was worth more to me for heat than to sell it! It is a relief to have it almost all gone.

bayjoe
03-03-2014, 09:39 PM
I had 37 - 8 foot picket fence panels that I tried to give away and nobody would take them. Ended up burning them for firewood. Free wood for almost an entire winter.