PDA

View Full Version : walnut hill press

Randy C
02-28-2014, 05:33 PM

I finally mounted my press and made some bullets. Clodhopper helped me get on the right track I called him couple times so I guess I will have to send a him care package. I could not get my 22lr de rim die to work but I have Corbin .825 jackets and 1.05 J4 jackets laying around four my 243, I'm going to try my 22 magnum de rim die before I email Richard. These bullets are 75gr bullets with Corbin jackets.

clodhopper
02-28-2014, 05:50 PM
I see what you mean about solid mounting of the press.
Those bullets have about the same size point as mine do.
I will be working as a range officer for 4H tomorrow and Sunday. So porbably can not answer the phone while there.
That first bullet that is laying down (from the left), is the base nice and flat, or a little rounded? Hard to tell for sure from the picture.

Randy C
02-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the help.
They are good and flat I shot some of those 75gr FB Corbin jacketed bullets and some Factory 80gr Berger FB varmint bullets they both shot under a inch using 43.5gr of IMR 4350 I have one pound left then I will have to switch powder. I will make some bullets with the J4 1.05 jackets and 22 mag jackets tomorrow If I have a problem with my dies I will use the 22wmr Jackets I received from you.

Randy C
03-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Clodhopper
I made 75 80 85 90 95 100gr with Corbin and J4 jackets / 100 108 and 115gr bullets today with your 22mag jackets, every thing shot 1 inch to 3/4 inch groups. My neighbor come buy and we shot them all but the 115gr bullets my sizing die did not open up the mouth on the brass enough and the 22 cases started to wrinkle while trying to seat them and we were out of time. There was a couple times that we had one shot larger than a inch, but we new it was our fault before we let go of the trigger. We shot some Burger bullets and the key holed I loaded a couple extra grains of powder in them. They definably showed signs of liking the extra speed. I would say it was a successful day, I put my dies through the paces and had a couple times the point form die tried to stick but once I had the punch holder set, I could form the point on the bullet in one smooth stroke the bullets had no wrinkles and the bottom of the bullets were square.

Well I better give thanks to every body that posted there experiences and advice in the swaging section I cant thank you enough for sharing, BT Sniper I read a lot of your post Thank you and Clodhopper thanks for answering the phone and calling me back and steering me in the right direction you woke up all the seeds that were planted in my head from all my reading and put be back on track. I did not have time to take pictures of everything I did and what we shot It was a long day.
Thanks again.:grin:
Randy C