PDA

View Full Version : Heeled bullet Mod. W/Pics

racepres
12-20-2007, 01:34 PM
A member quizzed me on this "device" for making heeled boolits!
I used it to cut the base of pb boolits for a gas check .. but You can use it for 'heelin'".

"I feel you should post the idea with pictures for use by others who have been unable to locate one of those rare heel based bullet moulds. This idea could easily be adapted for other heel-based calibres such as the 38 Long and 41 Colt. I'm sure the idea will be widely accepted."

So thank 9X56 if this helps, and I will blame him if I get laughed at!!! LOL
I took a "slice" of aluminum rod [abt 1" dia.] and cut a slice partway thru toward the middle [kinda like trying to slice it thinner] then drilled and tapped for two set screws. The screws hold my cutter [in my case a coping saw blade] in place, and still allow a modicum of adjustability for depth [finished dia. of heel] Yea I shoulda neatened it up by doin sumpin w/ the blade.. but then it wouldn't be obvious that I went to WECSOG!
The hole where the base of the bullet goes into is milled [or drilled] only as deep as you want the length of the heel to be, [if you drilled it all the way thru.. you would be able to reduce the dia. of the entire projectile]. The smaller hole is to let "chips" out. I spun the boolits w/ an inside out version of the KD spinner, a funnel type thingy, driven w/ my trusty cordless 3/8. A collet that fit the projectile properly would be mucho better!
Anyway It takes pics to 'get the drift.. Hope it helps! MV