PDA

View Full Version : model 94 30-30 chamber length ?

deerspy
02-28-2014, 12:08 AM
I have a bunch of 30-30 brass that came form different places and times over the last thirty years and I am just starting to cast for my model 94 30-30 made in 1953 started cleaning up brass to day an found i have length's that run from 2.00 to 2.060 and see that the reload manual list 2.039 length, and was wanting to know what would be the best length to use for the old 30-30, A lot of what I got is right around 2.030?

also is there guide on how to re move the bolt so you can clean bore from breach end?

DeadWoodDan
02-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Not in front of my loading bench, but RCBS makes a die set that requires you to trim below the max. and then resize a second time on initial sizing. I just did a large batch for the first time so will be excited to see how the life of the brass holds up.
The patented X-Die eliminates the need for repeated trimming after an initial case trim of .020" off the maximum case length. A specially designed mandrel contacts the case mouth and reduces the growth rate. Because of an extremely close tolerance between the mandrel and die neck wall, the neck wall of the case does not thicken as the case length is pushed back. Cases repeatedly sized in the X-Die will initially grow a few thousandths of an inch, then stabilize below the maximum case length with no discernable loss of accuracy or case life

bob208
02-28-2014, 11:22 AM
the model 94 was not made for easy take down. the way to clean from the breach is to use a pull through . me I use a muzzle guide.

deerspy
02-28-2014, 09:48 PM
I have a old RCBS die set that I have been using to load jacketed with and just bought a expander .309 size to bell and get the right tension for cast I am cutting all cases to 2.030 max, some are shorter going to keep those and use while working up load maybe they will grow longer.

bob208 , is the muzzle guide a nylon bushing that goes over the cleaning rod and in to bore I have never used one, due you have to get a special rod for it?