PDA

View Full Version : Jalapeno Growing.

Col4570
02-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Do any of you folks grow Jalapenos,Each year I grow Cayenne peppers successfully but would like to try Jalapenos.My question is are they hard to grow and do they need special care.I grow my Cayennes and tomatoes together in a Glass House and feed them the same.I have been buying Pickled Jalapenos and my mouth waters just thinking about them :???:.

high standard 40
02-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Jalepenos will grow with the same gusto as the Cayenne pepper. I container grow Jalepenos every year on my patio. It is a very hardy plant. Last year I dried some in my dehydrator and ground them in the same manner that red pepper is ground. It was very good stuff.

jmort
02-27-2014, 11:07 AM
^What he said. Most peppers are easy to grow. Try a Hungarian Black, very nice pepper/plant.

farmerjim
02-27-2014, 11:08 AM
I grow lots of them. They are easy to grow but need warm weather ( about the same as tomatoes, so your greenhouse would be fine) They are great fresh grilled or roasted. Let some get ripe (red) and chop them up for seasoning. There are many varieties so get one of the hybrids that suits your likes. Mine are about 4 inches tall in the greenhouse now, and will be set out in the field in 3 or 4 weeks.
Good growing.

bhn22
02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Peppers are easy. Seriously. They don't require any real fuss at all.

waksupi
02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
If a person has room inside, you can winter peppers over for 5-6 years easily. They bear better the second year onward.

Col4570
02-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Thank you Guys,I bought some Cayenne Seeds today,I will go out to look for some Jalapeno seeds,I had some of the pickled ones today in my lunch sandwiches with some Roast Pork and stuffing.Nice.

Zymurgy50
02-27-2014, 01:52 PM
I have a friend that lives in town, with a small garden. The coons used to tear his garden up until the year he decided to grow ghost chilli's.
For some reason the 1 million Scoville unit peppers kept all the wildlife out of the garden.........

osteodoc08
02-27-2014, 01:59 PM
Jalepenos were about the only thing my dad could grow. They are hearty. He managed tomatoes ok. That's about all he grew in a little sectioned off area on the side of the porch. I'm gonna grow both in honor of him this season.

I find most plants for the most part fairly hearty so long as they have decent soil, water and fertilizer. Keep them from frost and extreme drought and theyll grow. My favorites are okra and tomatoes. The key with okra is picking them young so theyre not woody.

MaryB
02-27-2014, 11:47 PM
Peppers always do well in my garden, to the oint I can't give them away by the end of the year

LynC2
02-28-2014, 09:48 AM
I have a friend that lives in town, with a small garden. The coons used to tear his garden up until the year he decided to grow ghost chilli's.
For some reason the 1 million Scoville unit peppers kept all the wildlife out of the garden.........

Now that made me laugh just thinking about those coons munching on one! :grin:

w5pv
02-28-2014, 12:07 PM
I may have missed it in the above post but don't fertlize too heavy.

gwpercle
02-28-2014, 02:52 PM
If you get a good crop of peppers, and have put up enough pickled peppers, you can slice and freeze them in a plastic zip lock to use in cooking. You don't have to blanch them or anything, pick, slice and freeze...use them like fresh in cooking.
Also give them as much sun as you can...more sun=more peppers. And space them 2 or 3 feetapart, the plant needs room.

Good luck growing
Gary

472x1B/A
02-28-2014, 05:23 PM
I have been doing this for over 10 years. When you are ready to set your plants out in the garden, dig the plant hole an inch or two deeper than what you normally would. Place a heaping table spoon of Epson Salts in the bottom of the hole, cover with at least two inches of soil then place your pepper plant in the hole and cover as usual. You WILL have an abundance of peppers. We have so many that people will avoid me when they see me coming with a full plastic shopping bag.

s mac
02-28-2014, 09:32 PM
My wife says to grow really hot peppers you need to have a hot temper. She does pretty well.

Hickory
02-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Jalapenos do best if you can get some well rotted cow or horse manure to work into the soil.

John Allen
02-28-2014, 10:23 PM
I have been doing this for over 10 years. When you are ready to set your plants out in the garden, dig the plant hole an inch or two deeper than what you normally would. Place a heaping table spoon of Epson Salts in the bottom of the hole, cover with at least two inches of soil then place your pepper plant in the hole and cover as usual. You WILL have an abundance of peppers. We have so many that people will avoid me when they see me coming with a full plastic shopping bag.

I have never tried that does the pepper absorb the salt or does it just help with the soil.

Col4570
03-01-2014, 02:39 AM

Thank you for that,Epson Salts on the list.Looking forward to the weather improving,I dug the garden over at the back end of last year so the soil should be in good condition,I have a large pile of own made compost to go in within the next few days.

Changeling
03-01-2014, 06:25 PM
Jalapeno Growing: If you fertilize or add any kind of miracle growth the peppers will not be nearly as hot as those grown in Mexico, however you will have more of them on the plants.
The plants need to be stressed with LOTS of sunlight if you want them HOT. Try planting them on a South facing wall, brick/mortar/rock witch will pick up the heat and conduct it through the ground to the plants (NO shade), or in wide open area where they get direct sunlight all day.

shooterbob
03-01-2014, 06:42 PM
I grow chili pequins (Turkey Peppers)here in Tx. They grow wild and I decided to grow peppers all year long. Much better than Jalapenos. Shoot me a pm with your address if you want some seeds. They are very small and very hot, but very delicious. I make salsa with them and enjoy them with other stuff as well. It makes the best vinegar pepper sauce in the world. Peppers heat depends on the acidity of the soil. You can make them hotter or milder by making acidic or alkaline soil properties.
Stacy

williamwaco
03-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Here's how to give away an over abundance after your friends will not longer take them.

Put them in a zip lock bag.

Put the zip lock bag in the bottom of a brown paper bag.

Place two 12 ounce T-Bone steaks on top so the peppers are not visible.

waksupi
03-01-2014, 11:04 PM
Give them a choice.

Okay punk, what will it be? Peppers, or zucchini?

DLCTEX
03-02-2014, 12:26 AM
Epso Grow is a brand name for Epsom salts. It helps neutrilyze our alkaline soil and adds magnesium. Neutral soil unlocks the elements that are bound up in the soil, like flux breaks up oxides on the surface of melted alloy. Too much nitrogen will produce plant growth at the expense of fruiting.

Col4570
03-02-2014, 03:04 AM
Epso Grow is a brand name for Epsom salts. It helps neutrilyze our alkaline soil and adds magnesium. Neutral soil unlocks the elements that are bound up in the soil, like flux breaks up oxides on the surface of melted alloy. Too much nitrogen will produce plant growth at the expense of fruiting.
Thanks for the technical info on soil conditioning.I am picking up some good points in this discussion.My local Garden Centre sells all sorts of gardening chemicals.I must confess that normally I let nature take its course but a high yield would be a good bragging point.:)

Col4570
03-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Give them a choice.

Okay punk, what will it be? Peppers, or zucchini?
Yes I grow Zuchini (Courgettes)I envisage A Chutney made from Jalapenos,Zuchini and Tomatoes.

DougGuy
03-02-2014, 09:51 PM
You might have better luck picking up a seedling or two at Lowe's or Home Depot or a garden center. I grow the jalapenos every 2-3 years, slice and pickle them. My favorite is the Red Caribbean pepper, or "Scotch Bonnet." These have fruity overtones, are hot but not painfully so, and best of all they don't burn on the way out! We use them in curries and bean dishes. I would grow those way before I would grow jalapenos any more.

kenyerian
03-02-2014, 10:07 PM
I raise a mixture of peppers every year including jalpenos and the ghost pepper. http://www.pepperjoe.com/ghost-pepper/hottest.html

Col4570
03-03-2014, 06:42 AM
I raise a mixture of peppers every year including jalpenos and the ghost pepper. http://www.pepperjoe.com/ghost-pepper/hottest.html

Thanks for the heads up.That man certainly knows his subject.I will grow my peppers in the Green house with Tomatoes.

gwpercle
03-04-2014, 01:57 PM
I have never tried that does the pepper absorb the salt or does it just help with the soil.
Helps with the soil. Epsom salts are Magnesium sulfate, you are adding magnesium to the soil.

Changeling
03-05-2014, 05:44 PM
That is a really good tip, I didn't know about Magnesium sulphate, thanks.

dale2242
03-05-2014, 10:47 PM
I will be trying the Epsom salts.....dale

clyde-the-pointer
03-05-2014, 10:51 PM
I find that peppers grow amazingly well in the Central Oh soil are tend. They don't require much water, and are well developed producers by August. They dry out real nicely in a dehydrator, usable for several years in this state.

Old School Big Bore
03-06-2014, 01:48 AM
We were so arid here this summer & fall I just left all my different varieties of peppers on the counter and they dried out beautifully. Don't forget that SMOKED JALAPENOS are CHIPOTLE and have a completely different flavor. The Chile Petin is also called the Bird Pepper or Chiltipin and generates about 1,000,000 Scoville units. Jalapenos, Chiltipin, and numerous other varieties of chile, including the mild Tam Jalapeno and Giant Stuffer Jalapeno are available as starter plants from Bonnie and other plant sales houses.

Col4570
03-06-2014, 02:47 AM
I put some Chilie seeds in Pots of compost yesterday.Cayenne,Jalapeno,Fresno,Cherry Peppers.I have a box of Epsom Salts so Fingers crossed.I have been growing Cayenne Peppers for some years but never gone beyond that.Just lately I have been enjoying bought Pickled Jalapenos.They have just about the right amount of heat for me but I gather that Jalapenos can be very hot depending on the variety so I will see in the summer what they turn out to be.

dale2242
03-06-2014, 08:58 AM
People tell me my Jalapeno are hotter than normal.
I love pickled jalapenos but these are just too hot for me.
I just buy what I believe are standard jalapeno plants.
I plant them in the garden and start fertilizing with liquid fertilizer.
After they get established I give them a regular feeding of 16-16-16.
I water my garden by sprinkling for 2 hrs. every other day in the summer.
All the other plants love this schedule.
Any idea why they would be hotter than normal?....dale

farmerjim
03-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Different varieties of Jalapenos range from about 2,500 to 10,000 scoville units of heat. Soil, climate and fertilization can also influence heat, but not as much as variety.

Col4570
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
I hope I have,nt set the 10.000 Scoville ones.there is no indication of the heat range on the seed packet.
last year I grew some Cayenne peppers out doors as well as in the greenhouse.The weather here in England can be unpredictable,O K for Spuds,lettuce,Onions,Beet etc but exotica like peppers need a bit of Glass over them here unless we have a decent summer.Our climate here is on par with New York.

Bonniebelle
03-17-2014, 06:31 PM
I love to grow peppers! All kinds.
Maybe you have already hear this, but I heard a long time ago - and my experience reinforces this - that the less you water a pepper, the hotter they become.
I'm trying a few Poblanos this year, in addition to my normal varieties. (:

Col4570
03-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Pepper Seedlings just showing.Fingers crossed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
I started some peppers last tuesday.
The first 9 rows are Peppers, many varieties, including 2 jalapenos...one of them is an early one. The last 3 rows are herbs.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Peppersweek1_zpsf1516099.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Peppersweek1_zpsf1516099.jpg.html)

Bonz
03-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Jalapenos do best if you can get some well rotted cow or horse manure to work into the soil.

My father used manure one year for his jalapeños and they were so hot you couldn't eat them...

wnmGng
03-18-2014, 07:20 PM
I grow several types of pepper, this year its bell pepper, jalapeno, habanero, and cayenne. Next year I want to grow some big jim green chiles.

03-19-2014, 12:53 AM
Mine have just started to bare fruit, didn't think they were going to as they took so long, plants are about 3 feet high. Getting close to our first frosts for the year although I hope we should be good for another month.
Might dig a couple up and put them into pots and see if I can get them through the winter.

Col4570
03-19-2014, 04:29 AM
I started some peppers last tuesday.
The first 9 rows are Peppers, many varieties, including 2 jalapenos...one of them is an early one. The last 3 rows are herbs.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/Peppersweek1_zpsf1516099.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/Peppersweek1_zpsf1516099.jpg.html)

It looks like you are in for a good crop mine are barely visible but they are under Glass so they should start to grow.I still have pickled cayenne peppers from last year.They are horrendously hot but add some nice heat to food if used sensibly.

Hickory
03-19-2014, 07:27 AM
My father used manure one year for his jalapeños and they were so hot you couldn't eat them...

If it was fairly fresh manure I can see why.
"Well rotted" 1+ years old, manure works very well.
And like strong medicine, it should be used in small doses.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-19-2014, 10:07 AM

while I can't confirm or deny your statement, I've found that in Minnesota, the weather is the key figure in Pepper hotness. If we get a Hot summer (including warm nights) and I'll get Hot Peppers. I recall one cool summer, back in my motorcycing days. My rule of thumb was if the temperature was over 50º in the morning, I'd drive my Bike to work...well that cool summer, I think I drove my Bike to work a half dozen times. The Jalapenos were sorry excuses for hot peppers that year.
that's my 2¢

DougGuy
03-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Col4570, I don't know how jalapeno seeds are to germinate, but a LOT of hot pepper seeds are a real PITA to get them to germinate. You can usually find jalapeno seedlings or bedding plants in the garden/outdoor sections at Lowe's and Home Depot, even Ace Hardware has them in their garden section. These are more expensive, but MUCH easier to grow than seeds!

Pepper seeds usually have to be germinated over a seed warmer, or a makeshift heating pad, or over some heated thing like a motor or back of the fridge where constant heat/warm air comes up, etc. You have to keep them at a constant 70° to 85° for days or even weeks for some varieties. They often take a long time to germinate, then you gotta put them in starter cups, then you gotta harden them off before transplanting to the outdoors, they can be more trouble than they are worth!

I am doing Hatch green Chiles, Purple Bell, Orange yummy sweet peppers, and Aleppo (a sweet pepper from northern Syria that is very hard to get now because of the war) all from seeds. I have resigned myself to setting up the heating pad, grow lamp, and babysitting these dang things until they grow. Not really looking forward to this but you can't buy these as plants anywhere so...

Edit: My bud who grows tons of super super hot pepper varieties tells me 3 tricks to get good results with pepper seeds, soak the seeds in water overnight, in the fridge! Then you use liquid kelp, that would be seaweed, mixed 1/4 strength with water, use this when they are sprouted, and can go to full strength kelp mix when they have 2 sets of leaves on them, then feed them with Jobe's Organics plant food (part number 08200) while they are in the starter pots and until you get them in the ground or the soil in the pot they will grow in. He swears by soaking in the fridge, and by the liquid kelp solution.

Col4570
03-20-2014, 01:01 AM
DougGuy,as you may know here in the U K growing conditions for subjects like peppers can be a PITA.At this time I am using a Kerosene Heater in my Greenhouse,your scientific approach is interesting and may be the solution I need.
Yesterday I had a session planting Onion and Garlic sets after digging and spreading own made compost.I was successful last year with Cayenne Peppers both in the greenhouse and a few outside that I planted when the air temp improved.I have noticed that Peppers have a longer growing season than Tomatoes.I fed both Cayenne and Tomatoes once a week when flowers came.A bit creaky this morning due to the digging.

DougGuy
03-21-2014, 12:17 PM
I got some Aleppo pepper seeds in the mail just now, this is the instruction sheet they sent with them. I scanned it and will post it here for reference..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/EPSON024_zpsab2397ee.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/EPSON024_zpsab2397ee.jpg.html)

Col4570
03-21-2014, 02:02 PM
DougGuy,Thanks for the valuable info,I was surprised to see Blackstrap molasses as a feed.My peppers are starting to show as tiny seedlings.I have them in trays of compost.The days here have been sunny but the nights are around zero so I am using my heater and covering everything in the Greenhouse.

jaysouth
03-24-2014, 08:01 PM
I am not sure where you are located, but my daughter lives in Belgium at the same latitude as London, except the weather is worse. She starts them them in side in containers on a "sun" porch. It seems to me that they have sunshine for about 14 1/2 days per year, but hers do OK growing inside. I sent her some seed for the TAM variety which is very mild, and the M variety which is the standard 5,000 Scoville unit jalapeno pepper. Both will last for a couple of years growing inside.

In my experience here, tomatoes, eggplants and jalapenos all share the same sun requirements, soil, planting dates and they mature at about the same time.

With a couple of cold beers, I can enjoy many pickled jalapenos. When they are raw, just one wears me out.

In my experience

Old School Big Bore
03-24-2014, 09:02 PM
@Doug - Bonnie has Yummies and mini Purple bells, as well as Tams, Chiltipins etc as starter plants. If your wally world or super grocery doesn't have racks of Bonnie plants out front or in their garden areas then hit em up online.

DougGuy
03-24-2014, 09:11 PM
I like the Bonnie bedding plants. That's what I usually start with but I haven't seen any of the Yummies, or the Hatch Green or Aleppo. Sometimes here nobody will order habaneros so they can be hard to find. There is 4 or 5 places within a few miles that carries the Bonnie stuff every year. I am early enough that if mine won't germinate, I can still get the Bonnies..

Changeling
03-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Hi DougGuy, What can you tell me about the "Hatch peppers" I understand they are supposed to be famous, but is about all I know.

Are the Hot/tasty/how do you use them, can they be grown in pots/plastic buckets? Very interested.

DougGuy
03-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Hmm should start another thread maybe? Hatch peppers, are Anaheim peppers. They are sweet and mild, and from what I have seen have a nice pulpy shell that you can use in a lot of ways like stewing them and making chicken and hatch chile enchiladas, or you skin them, slice and remove seeds, then stuff with an index finger sized piece of string cheese and whatever ground meat you like, then batter and fry. Now you have chile relleno.

They are about half as hot as a jalapeno, very tasty. Melt some queso and mix in some peeled and chopped hatch chiles, dip chips into this or heat and serve over poached eggs or eggs overeasy for a Southwest eggs benedict twist. I can SO see me using them this way..

I think they got their name "Hatch" from Hatch, NM where they have the Hatch Chile Festival every year. It's a big thing there. There's a TON of recipes for these things online.

You can grow them in pots, pots is a good way to keep an eye on the soil composition by measuring the leachate that comes out of the pots.

There are quite a few varieties that are lumped in the "Hatch" chile name because they are similar. I got seeds here:

http://www.sandiaseed.com/mildmed.html

Hatch Green Chile Capsicum annuum This variety is Agco Fire Green. (75 days) It is improved through selection for uniform set, flavor and easy machine harvesting. It is field grown near Hatch, NM and sold as ‘Hot’. Peppers are 7" long on productive 30” plants. Easy to Grow.

"Hatch Chile" is not an actual variety, but is a term used to describe peppers of several different varieties grown in the area.

~ Actual variety names might include "Big Jim", "Joe Parker", "Sandia Hot", and others.
~ The Hatch Chile Festival occurs every Labor Day. This event attracts people world-wide to “The chile capital of the world”, in New Mexico.

Start seeds indoors 6 weeks prior to soil warming to 55°F. Transplant seedlings into rich well-draining soil 24” apart. Harvest chiles when they are deep green and firm or wait until they fully mature to red.

Heat Level: Medium ~ Scoville 2000 - 4000 units.

DougGuy
03-26-2014, 05:27 PM
I put up an idea to start a gardening sub forum, if y'all want to support it, click on this link and come and post your support for it:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?236087-Would-You-Like-To-See-A-quot-Growin-Things-quot-Gardening-Sub-Forum-Here-s-How

DougGuy
03-31-2014, 06:04 PM
I started some peppers today. Soaked the seeds in a weak tea solution in the fridge overnite, then put them in the peat pellets of the Jiffy Greenhouse. I got a heating pad with some metal racks separating things and so far it's holding a steady 80° which is excellent.

We have Aleppo, Yummy Orange, Purple Bell, and Hatch Green Chiles starting:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC01952_zpsab434959.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC01952_zpsab434959.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC01953_zpsfa8538ed.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC01953_zpsfa8538ed.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC01955_zpsc350fad7.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC01955_zpsc350fad7.jpg.html)

DougGuy
04-24-2014, 11:51 AM
March 31 I made the above post. Jeez these peppers can take FOREVER to germinate! In 3 1/2 weeks, I have gotten a slow start (imo) but a fair percentage of seeds germinated. It just takes time, and the right amount of moisture.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02021_zpse8cf1fa4.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02021_zpse8cf1fa4.jpg.html)

Babies poking their heads up:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02022_zps63e2cf63.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02022_zps63e2cf63.jpg.html)

I think they're going to make it!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02027_zps9798850c.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02027_zps9798850c.jpg.html)

DxieLandMan
04-24-2014, 12:37 PM
we grow bell and other types of peppers but mom grows the jalapeño kind. I made the mistake only once of picking them without wearing gloves.

Changeling
04-24-2014, 03:11 PM
I grow chili pequins (Turkey Peppers)here in Tx. They grow wild and I decided to grow peppers all year long. Much better than Jalapenos. Shoot me a pm with your address if you want some seeds. They are very small and very hot, but very delicious. I make salsa with them and enjoy them with other stuff as well. It makes the best vinegar pepper sauce in the world. Peppers heat depends on the acidity of the soil. You can make them hotter or milder by making acidic or alkaline soil properties.
Stacy

Hello Bob/Stacy, PM sent. I (probably others) would really appreciate your recipes for salsa and the the vinegar pepper sause.

DougGuy
05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
So far in growing peppers, we have sprouts.. These things take forever even to get this far. This is why I like to buy bedded plants when I can find them. I started them on March 31, this is May 1st, so one month to the day..

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02053_zps7d1179cc.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02053_zps7d1179cc.jpg.html)

Col4570
05-25-2014, 08:00 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/May25th2014001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/May25th2014001.jpg.html)
Peppers and Tomatoes coming on nicely.Jalapenos,Fresnos,Birds Eye and Cayenne.Planted some outside as well (fingers crossed).

Col4570
05-25-2014, 08:03 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/May25th2014002.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/May25th2014002.jpg.html)
A closer view.The advise here was spot on thanks guys.

DougGuy
05-25-2014, 09:02 AM
May 25, 3 1/2 weeks since putting them in starter pots. This is with natural light, no grow light, some full sun, been feeding them liquid kelp in reduced concentrations. I am sorta holding back on planting them in the raised beds, garlic will be time to come out soon and if I can hold out another 2-3 weeks, I can put them in beds where the garlic is now.

2 fat ones on the lower left are Hatch Chiles (Anaheim) then there are 4 Purple Bells, 3 Orange Yummy, and 6 Aleppo. I have a Caribbean Red in the big bed in the garden and it's doing quite well so far. These won't do much until the weather gets hot and stays hot so if they don't take off like a race horse, don't worry, their time will come.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02423_zpsa637fc4e.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02423_zpsa637fc4e.jpg.html)

Caribbean Red (Scotch Bonnet):

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02424_zps8494e2f1.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02424_zps8494e2f1.jpg.html)

Col4570
06-10-2014, 03:06 PM
Tiny Jalapenos have appeared,so it looks like we are on the way.Fresno,Habaneros and Cayenne also showing tiny fruit.The Tomatoes have small fruit showing so its time to start feeding peppers and toms.The weather here is warm and wet,I have planted a few spare Jalapenos outside to see how they perform.

DougGuy
06-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Thumbs up! I finally got my peppers into the raised beds just last week. Gonna be a while yet before they grow any fruit but hey I got this far!

shooterbob
07-01-2014, 05:59 AM
Chile pequins have made a bumper crop again. I am.growing these plants year round indoors in pots in winter and get peppers from may till Nov here in Tx. Great little pepper, very hot and great flavor. If anyone wants some seeds let me know. I mail them in a reg envelope and usually put about 20 in each. I start them in reg potting soil indoors in full sunlight. I haven't had any fail to sprout yet.
Stacy

Col4570
07-02-2014, 01:57 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/02072014Garden002.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/02072014Garden002.jpg.html)
My Peppers and Tomatoes are doing well.plenty of flowers on the Jalapenos, some have set and have small peppers showing.Feeding once a week.

Col4570
07-02-2014, 02:03 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/02072014Garden001.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/02072014Garden001.jpg.html)
The rest of the Garden is doing well,eating lettuce,Radishes,Beet,Spring Onions,Potatoes.

GoodOlBoy
07-03-2014, 07:17 AM
This year I didn't get plants into the ground and going, and I just haven't been up to messing with it. Usually I grow Jalapenos, Cayenne, Poblano, and Sweet Banana Peppers. One piece of advice I can give is NEVER plant your sweet banana peppers close to the others or you will have HOT banana Peppers not sweet ones! I found this out the hard way, and the buggers were hotter than the Jalapenos that year! I tried growing Ancho, Cascabel, and Arbol chili peppers but honestly I wasn't getting enough yield to justify the water bill for the plants. Too bad. Those three dried and ground together make one heck of a good chili powder. I have NEVER been able to get bell peppers to grow in my part of East Texas. Dunno what it is but they don't grow, and when they do they don't make.

Oh and FYI despite what some folks claim Poblano's and Ancho's are NOT exactly the same. Dunno what the difference is other than one I get good yields off of and the other not so much...

GoodOlBoy

Col4570
07-04-2014, 01:42 AM
Yes down there in Texas it can be very dry and those peppers need a sub tropical climate to exist.We have the opposite here where it is either too wet or cold so a greenhouse is the best option for Peppers.So far this summer has been nice and warm so I have put out some surplus pepper plants to see how they do.Those folks south of your border in Mexico have the right conditions in some areas but will find problems in the more arid areas.

GoodOlBoy
07-04-2014, 06:01 AM
Yeah and the Piney Woods where I live is not only an odd climate for Texas, but we are also in lowland river bottom territory so..... yeah. I have had MANY varieties of plants that just died from root rot, fire ants, or any number of odd combinations we get around here. Four things that grow like wildfire around here are watermelons, peanuts, tomatos, and purplehull peas. Yeller crookneck squash, and turnips do ok, but I have never been hungry enough in my life to eat a turnip on purpose so ...... there......

GoodOlBoy

Col4570
07-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Turnips ugh,no flavour,when cooked mushy,tried some a while ago YUK.

Col4570
07-15-2014, 01:15 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/001-54.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/001-54.jpg.html)
Hopefully you can see a couple of Peppers.The Right hand Jalapeno,the left hand a Habanero.Something is eating the leaves but so far the fruit have,nt been attacked.

GoodOlBoy
07-15-2014, 01:52 PM
look around for a large green caterpillar/worm lookin thing. It will blend right in with the plants. Sometimes they can be bigger around and longer than your thumb. Called tobacco worms around here they LOVE to eat pepper and tomato plant leaves. Just pluck it off and stomp it or feed it to chickens.

GoodOlBoy

Col4570
07-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Thanks for that,Yes I found some similar caterpilars,green about 1" long,similar to yours but Cabbage white butterfly grubs.Picked off 5 and dispatched them.They are hard to spot I had to put the specs on.
Lots of flowers on the plants and some fruit developing.I have some outside smaller but in flower.(just plants I had left over.

Col4570
07-16-2014, 01:22 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/001-55.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/001-55.jpg.html)
This large Slug is 5" long and as thick as a finger.This could be one of the culprits who are dining on my Pepper leaves.

jaysouth
07-16-2014, 09:57 PM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/001-55.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/001-55.jpg.html)
This large Slug is 5" long and as thick as a finger.This could be one of the culprits who are dining on my Pepper leaves.

Saute those with butter and garlic and stuff them into used snail shells. You could sell them to your neighbors a couple of hundred miles South-east of you.

MaryB
07-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Nasty!

shooterbob
07-16-2014, 10:29 PM
Turnips are awesome when cooked properly. Cube them and boil them until tender with salt and pepper. Add a little butter after cooking and they are superb. Oh I forgot add a little bit of sugar to remove the bitterness.

Col4570
07-17-2014, 12:17 AM
I might try that Bob,Now Parsnips and Carrots par boiled and Roasted around a good joint of Beef cooked in Lard,with Yorkshire Puddings and some Greens are nice.I think the added Butter after cooking the Turnips sounds good.

Col4570
07-17-2014, 12:27 AM
Jaysouth,yes there is no shortage of Snails and Slugs here.Ah Les Francais love them,we eat their relatives from the Sea but I do,nt think I could bring myself to chomping on a Slug.:veryconfu

Col4570
07-28-2014, 10:51 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/001-57.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/001-57.jpg.html)
Plenty of Jalapenos have arrived.

Col4570
07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/002-37.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/002-37.jpg.html)
Difficult to Photo them,they blend into the greenery.Had a couple last night stuffed with Greek Feta Cheese and Microwaved.Nice

Col4570
07-28-2014, 10:59 AM
Actualy I did,nt think they would grow here but they are doing well,We are in the Middle of a heat wave and things are growing like wildfire.

Col4570
07-30-2014, 07:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GJ9Sxm46WOs
Here is a dangerous one,I would,nt touch with a barge Pole.I wonder if there is a schofield rating that is dangerous to exeed.My Jalapenos,Fresnos and Habaneros are all comfortable for my pallet and add a nice background heat to food.I use Cayenne in moderation but these can be exceedingly hot.

DougGuy
09-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Moruga Scorpion isn't the world's hottest anymore, Carolina Reaper has eclipsed it at 2.2m ~ 2.4m Scovilles.

Most of my Aleppo bushes that I planted earlier are turning out lots of fruits. We have been using them in everything from omelets to soups. These are pretty flavorful, along the lines of a mild banana peppper, poblano, something along those lines, not hot in the least way.

Pepper grinder included for size reference:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02841_zpsfa84ad46.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/2014%20Garden/Growing%20Peppers/DSC02841_zpsfa84ad46.jpg.html)

twc1964
09-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Bob, thos pequins are crazy hot bud lol. I tried em a time or two but got tire of carying that dam popsicle to the bathroom everytime i ate em. Seriously though to the op, jalapenos are perhaps the easiest plant to grow for me. I neglect mine and still get too many.

4rdwhln
09-20-2014, 08:12 PM
I became a hot pepper nut because of this thread. I grew Jalapenos, Habeneros, red and Yellow Cayenne and hot Thai, also a bunch of Anaheim. I just made a pint of peach and Habenaro hot sauce that is way tastier than I would have thought possible. I have gave peppers to all my friends and searched out all the different varieties grown locally for seed stock for next year. Thanks for the inspiration and advice all...