PDA

View Full Version : Recoil question

ksfowler166
02-27-2014, 12:41 AM
The other day I read that a barrel with rifling produces more felt recoil than a smooth bore barrel. I don't particularly understand the physics but it makes sense. It seems at least to me that shotgun do recoil less than rifles. So anyone notice this or could explain the physics behind this phenomenon?

CastingFool
02-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Just taking a guess here, but I think it may be due to the pressure peak in the burning rate of the various powders. Felt recoil is also affected by the weight of the firearm, and weight of the projectile. A big factor depends on what your target is. Shooting paper is always tough for me. Shooting at a deer, turkey or geese greatly reduces the felt recoil for me.

JHeath
02-27-2014, 04:06 PM
I'd wondered about that myself. Think it's because a bullet that does not want to go forward because of engraving pressure and lateral resistance of the rifling, results in the propellant gas driving the gun backward.

Same reason, basically, that heavier bullets recoil more. Heavy thing does not want to move forward, so the rifle goes backward. If you slid the barrel over a fixed rod and fired it, the rifle would shoot through the air. This is how a spigot mortar works.

Smoothbore projectiles have only the resistance of mass.

RED333
02-27-2014, 07:49 PM
Just taking a guess here, but I think it may be due to the pressure peak in the burning rate of the various powders. Felt recoil is also affected by the weight of the firearm, and weight of the projectile. A big factor depends on what your target is. Shooting paper is always tough for me. Shooting at a deer, turkey or geese greatly reduces the felt recoil for me.

The "thrill"of the hunt hides the recoil, and the noise as well.

monadnock#5
02-27-2014, 08:54 PM
I'll take a SWAG: It's the "jet effect" that generates felt recoil in a rifle. Smoothbore or rifled, you get thumped either way. More dwell time, less dwell time, faster vs slower powders hmmm.....I suppose it's possible.
That said, there is definately a subjectivity factor that must be accounted for. Bottom line, if you truly believe a smoothbore kicks less, well you know what? You are absolutely correct!

leeggen
02-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Read ---The Sporting Rifle And It's Projectiles--- can be found in the library on this sight. Classic Books and articles. The author talks about this to a large degree. In the process he covers everything that comes into the equation of recoil.
CD

geargnasher
02-27-2014, 11:19 PM
The amount of energy devoted to rotating the projectile is a fraction of one percent of the total energy transferred to it during the firing event.

Gear