PDA

View Full Version : Question for the 3p shooters

7br
02-26-2014, 11:21 PM
What information does your sight setting notebook have in it?

Firearm, load, distance shooting, location, shooting position, hold?

I am going to try to write an app for a mobile device for silhouette sight settings. I would like to write it generic enough that it would be easily extendable for 3p.

country gent
02-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Mine have Data for Rifle no, Date, Place, Range, Target no, Relay, Light, wind call and correction, rifle zero Elev windage, todays elevation windage, sight picture used. appeture setting used. Remarks/comments, shot score call columns And a Target for plotting shots along with a set of flags angles and associated wind speed drawings. In the front are wind charts for popular High power loads, 223 and 308. Has charts for 200 300 600 yds. Also available with 600, 900, 1000 yds. This is the Jim Owens Data Book. It is set up For NRA High Power rifle service and match rifle. Hope this helps

Scharfschuetze
02-27-2014, 09:23 PM
My data book has the same info as Country Gent posted above.

1. Sight Picture: I use a post front sight and a six o'clock hold with a service rifle with the standard width blade. That is reflected in the sight picture box. Aperture front sight users (match rifle) can indicate the diameter of their aperture here. Scope users (any rifle) can record the scope power, type and cross hair.

2. Wind direction is self explanatory, but mirage is subjective in how an individual views it. It is a good indication of wind speed and wind direction. It is dependent on ground temperature, air temperature and wind speed and direction. I usually record it as heavy, medium or light. I've actually seen mirage over snow. While it was "light," it was still useful at the 300 yard and 500 yard stages of the match. Like most HP shooters, I just draw and arrow in the block to indicate direction.

3. Light direction. Again self-explanatory. It can have an effect on POI, particularly with service rifles due to the uncovered front blade. I always indicate direction and if it is bright or cloudy when I shoot. Generally speaking, bright sun will make for heavy mirage. An arrow is sufficient to indicate the direction.

4. Temperature. Self-explanatory. Higher temps usually show a slightly lower elevation setting. I've shot in matches at 0 degrees and up to 95 degrees and the sight settings have varied up to a couple of MOA between the extremes.

5. Elevation and Windage: I record my settings in MOA values. + 10.5, R 1.5, L 0.5, etc.

6. Scoring blocks: Elevation and Windage for each shot on slow fire

7. Call: An honest call here when compared to your actual point of impact can help with your windage estimates for subsequent shots or help correct a faulty zero for temperature. A dot in the block is enough to record the call.

8. Value: Actual score after the target puller has pulled, marked the bullet hole and scored your shot.

9. Total Score: Never high enough!

While not indicated, I also record the ammo type, lot number and rifle used.

For the positions in high power shooting (your probably already know this) you fire the 200 yard slow fire "off hand," the 200 yard rapid fire "sitting;" the 300 yard rapid fire "prone," 600 yard slow fire "prone."

Here's a photo for the 600 yard page of a high power rifle score book: