PDA

View Full Version : Redding #1? Scale zeroing

Bullshop Junior
02-26-2014, 10:31 PM
I picked up this scale today. I believe it is a redding number 1. What's the truck to getting it zeroed?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/aqehupas.jpg

oneokie
02-26-2014, 10:42 PM
If it has a small screw on the bottom of the powder pan, remove it and remove some of the lead in the cup.
Or start removing metal from the pan itself.

Bullshop
02-26-2014, 10:52 PM
The large screw on the base under the beam is a player. Also there should be two nuts on the threaded end of the beam above where the pan hangs from. Slight movement of those nut forward or back gives additional adjustment if the main screw I mentioned first does not have enough adjustment. These scales do not have weighted pans.
Jr. it is exactly the same as the one you saw me using when you were here.

str8shot426
02-26-2014, 10:57 PM
The large screw on the base under the beam is a player. Also there should be two nuts on the threaded end of the beam above where the pan hangs from. Slight movement of those nut forward or back gives additional adjustment if the main screw I mentioned first does not have enough adjustment. These scales do not have weighted pans.
Jr. it is exactly the same as the one you saw me using when you were here.

Correct....I have the same scale.

Bullshop Junior
02-26-2014, 11:16 PM
I bought this one because I thought it was the same one and you said you really liked it.

With one nut on, it's too light, and with 2 it's too heavy. I've played with all the adjustments for about a hour trying to get it to zero and havnt got it any closer then about 10 grains. Wasnt sure if I was missing something. Guess I'll start filing on that second but and thin it up some.

Is that scale on the right, is each click a grain, or a tenth of a grain?

Bullshop
02-26-2014, 11:37 PM
The thin slider is tenths and the heavier slider is 5 grain increments.

Bullshop Junior
02-26-2014, 11:44 PM
Ok. That's what I thought. I'll file that second nut down tomorrow. The scale doesn't look to have been used much.

What's the deal about the oil dampening?

Got the box today btw. Thanks for the boolits.

Bullshop
02-26-2014, 11:58 PM
I don't know about oil dampening. Mine has a finger like spring that hangs down in a slot. When the beam is swinging it bottoms out and dampens the movement of the beam.
What I do to speed it up is put my finger on the scale that the pointer indicates on and stop it at center then gently release it. If it goes up your heavier than your setting. If it goes down your lighter than your setting. If it stays center your good.

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2014, 12:03 AM
Mine might be missing parts then. It doesn't seem to have any kind of dampening.

Anyone have a photo of that dampener systom?

str8shot426
02-27-2014, 12:19 AM
To the bench I go.....http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/7a5ugazu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/ruha7y3y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/8u7y8ydu.jpg some pics of mine. You can see the size and spacing of adjustment nuts and the oil reservoir dampener. I tried the dampener and it wasn't worth the trouble. The oil migrates out and down the side of the scale. I dampen with slight thumb touch on the needle side.

Bullshop
02-27-2014, 09:07 AM
The scale at the pointer is in tenths thus making it possible to get a weight setting two ways. Say you want a weight of 25.4gn You can set the main slider at 25 and read the .4 at the pointer above center or you can set the small slider at .4 and read the pointer at center. Both ways you are reading 25.4gn. I like it!

Hardcast416taylor
02-27-2014, 09:28 AM
Before you start removing metal from anything I would make sure it is sitting on a flat level surface. Next I would set all weight settings to 0 and let the beam settle to show where it is for out of zero. Now try using the height adjustment screw in the frame under the pointer to bring the beam to read zero. Be glad this isn`t a LEE scale where you adjust to zero by putting business cards under the scale frame!Robert

Poygan
02-27-2014, 09:44 AM
I have one that I've been using for about 50 years. I use heavier oil like 30 weight for the oil dampening. It does help settle the movement of the balance beam. Also,
I always zero the scale before use. The screw under the unit on the left side will do it. The two nuts on the right side of the beam can be used for adjustment but I've never had to mess with them. I picked up an RCBS 505 scale and they agree with each other within one tenth of a grain. Its accurate and reliable!

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Mine isn't within adjustment of the front screw. With the frame level, and both nuts on the end, the needle is about 2.5 inches high off of zero. It doesn't even come close. With one but on it, it's sits heavy on the bottom and takes about 30gns in the pan to bring it up to level. Using him the slider to zero it on level, and both nuts on it is about 12grains off.

Bullshop
02-27-2014, 10:12 AM
If as you said yours is missing the dampening arm as was shown in the pic then that is most likely throwing off the weight of the beam so it is no longer compatible with the adjustments as originally provided. You must find a way to compensate for the loss of weight of the dampening are.
Perhaps adding weight at that point is a better idea than removing weight from another point. Something as simple as hanging a small paper clip at the original location of the dampening arm may just fix it up good!

cuzinbruce
02-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I have used that model scale. It is simple and reliable. The paddle attached to the beam moves back and forth in oil to damp the scale. You can use it or not, depending about how you feel about the oil. There should be plenty of adjustment in those two nuts to zero the scale. If the beam hits the top of the marker frame on the left end of the scale, move the nuts closer to the pivot. That reduces their leverage on the beam. The adjustment screw in the base lets you adjust the scale for out of level work surfaces. If the scale is original and undamaged, you should be able to make it work.
Good Luck

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2014, 10:15 AM
How does that little paddle attach to the beam?

Bullshop
02-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Its a simple piece of aluminum with the paddle at the bottom and the opposite end is rolled like a roll pin and inserted into a hole in the bottom of the beam.
Its very light weight so don't over do it. A small steel roll pin that will fit the hole will likely add all the weight you need.
You could probably even fashion something like original from a beverage can.

quack1
02-27-2014, 04:43 PM
Looking at the op's picture, his pan might be a replacement. My Redding scale has a pan just like str8shot426 shows in his picture, no spout. The op's picture shows a pan with a spout. If the pan and hanger has been replaced with another from a different scale, it might be different enough in weight to cause the scale not to zero.

str8shot426
02-27-2014, 06:14 PM
Good eye quack. Redding has the spare hook and pan available, check out there website. Search keyword parts.

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Ok. I'll check into that

SOFMatchstaff
02-27-2014, 07:30 PM
Quack is correct, that is the wrong pan and bail. Both the older brown Reddings have a round pan and a full round bail. Both the oil dampened and the non. I have both sitting in front of me, and a newer oil dampened Green one on the bench. the old scales have the same pan, no beak....the bail and pan should weigh 150 grs+- .5grs to make the beam balance.. just the pan, 105grs.. cant tell from the picture, does it have a oil reservoir in the pivot stanchion??

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Quack is correct, that is the wrong pan and bail. Both the older brown Reddings have a round pan and a full round bail. Both the oil dampened and the non. I have both sitting in front of me, and a newer oil dampened Green one on the bench. the old scales have the same pan, no beak....the bail and pan should weigh 150 grs+- .5grs to make the beam balance.. just the pan, 105grs.. cant tell from the picture, does it have a oil reservoir in the pivot stanchion??

It does not

SOFMatchstaff
02-27-2014, 08:56 PM
If you have access to another scale, weigh the bail and pan and see how much more the total is over the 150 gr value for the stock pan and bail.
then start removing little snips off the bail and drill some small holes in the pan handle until the proper weight is reached. that should bring things into balance and you dont have to root out another set. If you get froggy and snip to much, then adjust the nuts out to bring it into balance.

slowly, cut and test....

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2014, 08:58 PM
I don't have access to a another scale.

SOFMatchstaff
02-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Well then, the cut and test gets even slower, it can be done..

Bullshop Junior
02-27-2014, 09:03 PM
I was gonna grind some off one of the nuts. I have a few extra nuts the right size laying around.

C.F.Plinker
02-28-2014, 12:13 AM
You will need the damper paddle even if there is no oil in the reservoir. Without it you are depending on the friction in the bearing to hold the beam so it is slightly off horizontal when you are close to the weight you have set but not quite there. The paddle creates a balancing force that will stabilize the beam even if it is off balance by as much as a grain. Take a look and see if yours was pulled out or cut off. If it has been removed you may be able to substitute a piece of 1/16 aluminum rod about an inch or inch and a quarter long for the paddle. If you want to oil dampen it you can use a thicker oil.

I have an old C-H scale which uses a beam that is identical to the one shown in the second set of pictures and just let it be air dampened. The hanger and pan on it weigh 141 grains.

willvabch
02-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Mine I fill the cavity with oil to dampen the movement

willvabch
02-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Get a set of standards (weight s) so you can set the nuts.

Bullshop
02-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Aren't coins standard weights?

Roosters
02-28-2014, 06:04 PM
New dime weighs 35 grains, new quarter 87.50 grains. You can use a jacketed bullet of a known weight. All these will get you in the ball park.

Bullshop Junior
02-28-2014, 07:00 PM
This scale does not have the oil dampening reservoir.

salpal48
03-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Your Pan and pan support is not correct for that Model #1 . redding no longer has replacement parts for #1. You can Remove the pan and try to find another . try a plastic one that will fit in the support. Then add weight to the thread . Your going to have to be creative
That's part of the fun

Bullshop Junior
03-03-2014, 12:44 AM
I got it working I had a plactic but off of something or another. One of the original nuts, a small washer and the plactic nut was perfect.