PDA

View Full Version : Flat round nose vs swc?

crabo
12-19-2007, 09:15 PM
I am confused about the different bullet designs for a revolver. Why would you want a flat, round nose bullet as opposed to a swc? I would assume that a flat round nose would feed better in a lever gun or a semi-auto, but are there any terminal advantages to using a frn in a revolver in a hunting situation?

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Crabo

kidmma
12-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Swc do not feed well in My lever guns. The swc is better in hunting situations and target work if just using it in a revolver. I think the only reason the RN has a flat point was for use in the tubular magazines.
Others may know better.

S.R.Custom
12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
In terms of terminal ballistics, there is no difference between the two. Meplat is everything; the one with the larger meplat will wreak the most havoc.

400cor-bon
12-19-2007, 10:55 PM
In terms of terminal ballistics, there is no difference between the two. Meplat is everything; the one with the larger meplat will wreak the most havoc.

agreed.
the swc leaves a neater hole in paper for scoring targets in competition
but also does well in the field

Pepe Ray
12-20-2007, 02:35 AM
We must make a generalization here.
In boolet design and having the same wgt., the FRN can and often does, have more of the boolet FORWARD of the case. This allows more case capacity. There is also an argument that the frn design is more accurate because of the different center of gravity. I hold no position on this.
Pepe Ray

black44hawk
12-21-2007, 10:34 AM
The terminal performance is probably indiscernable, but I shoot two of these desiqns: Lee 158gr .358 and Lee 310gr .430. And they are extremely accurate. I bought both because the huge meplat appealed to me. At the risk of sounding blasphemous they out perform keith bullets in my Super Blackhawk and GP100. However, at extreme pistol distances (say like big bore silhouette) the 310 starts to lose stability.

EDK
12-26-2007, 01:33 PM
The MEPLAT--the flat nose--does the damage on the target. Look at the Lead Bullet Technology line of bullets.

If you cast your own, the round nose flat point design is easier to cast than a semi wadcutter. Also, the number of grooves increases the problems in casting. The multiple grooves on LEE tumble lubes and the excellent Ranch Dog Designs are a bit of a concern to me, but I'm going to order one of the RD's for my 44 magnum Marlin. I love those 44 COWBOY RIFLES, especially the 24 inch barrels.

If you want something interesting, try a full wadcutter in a 44 magnum and a respectable powder charge. Nice square edged holes in the targets!! Consider the full wadcutter for realistic handgun hunting ranges with iron sights.

:castmine: :Fire:

bearcove
12-27-2007, 12:28 AM
The flat round nose is an older design. If you were in the dakotas 125 years ago you might have a 44-40 pistol and a lever gun that shot the same thing. What would be your biggest priority? Reliability? Probably. Now a days you don't have to worry so much about a mob of indians making a play for your scalp. So a feeding jam caused by that wide meplat on a swc or a lbt wfn aren't such a big problem. Now my Navaho friends just laugh at me!

EDK
12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Bearcove has some good points about the 44/40 combinations and RNFP.

If you're in to Cowboy Action Shooting, the RNFP is a good idea unless you pack separate ammo for the lever gun and your pistols. You'll still need it for the rifle if you're concerned about touching off the primer of a round in the magazine tube and also want reliable feeding.

The RNFP also works pretty nicely in speed loaders for 357 and 44 double action revolvers.

Don't know about Navajos, but some of the Lakotas hanging around Pine Ridge reservation and the Wounded Knee grave yard in particular weren't exactly an advertisement for tourism when I went through a couple years back. Most places were OK, but Pine Ridge wasn't very friendly. Maybe they'd have been friendlier if they realized the gray Stetson represented the side Grandma's relatives rode for awhile back.