PDA

View Full Version : Mold Discoloration after washing

jgh4445
02-26-2014, 10:59 AM
Came back from the range the other day and I had a bucket with soapy water in it that I had dropped some 45-70 brass in . I usually do that when I shoot BP loads, makes cleaning the brass easier. anyway, I also wanted to clean the 457193 mold I had, so I dropped it in the soapy( Dawn dishwashing liquid) water too, along with the brass. I got distracted for about 30 minutes so the mold and brass soaked for that time. When I took the mold out, a pretty large spot on the face of the mold, just above the cavity on one side was no longer a bluish, case hardened color. The spot is now a silverish white color. A smaller spot is on the other half of the mold. Anyone ever have this happen?

mozeppa
02-26-2014, 11:27 AM
SOUNDS like a bi-metal reaction.

i used to strain my brass thru a steel rabbit mesh to separate brass from ss pins and i never let the brass sit on the screen mesh for any longer time than it took to strain them....then took them inside to rinse with clean water.

behold!...several brass looked like someone had drawn on the brass with a black sharpie....and you can't wash it off , tumble it off or put it in a sonic cleaner and get it off!

looked like this...... # ....literally!

so now i'm aware of bi-metal reaction!

i even replaced the mixing paddles in my concrete mixer with stainless steel paddles and stainless bolts!

life is good now.

Walter Laich
02-26-2014, 01:53 PM
sounds about right on the bi-metal reaction. You could use touch up bluing to put a bit of protection back on the blocks. I ground a RCBS mold to fit Lyman handles and my touch up bluing is still looking good--no rust and I don't oil when I'm done. Put it in a plastic tool box with desiccant and keep them in the house away from the humidity

jgh4445
02-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try the bluing. I do keep them inside and will add desiccant to the box I keep them in.