PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 TD - Joy turns to disappointment, confusion

sthwestvictoria
02-26-2014, 06:10 AM
I have recently purchased a Savage 99 TD, I believe 1924 from the serial number. The rifle was advertised online as originally 22HP, rebarrelled to 30-30 but shipped with the original 22HP barrel and some brass and dies.
Initially the rifle looked in great condition, certainly the wood of stock and fore-end, receiver steel and old Leopold are in great shape:
The 30-30 barrel that came attached to the rifle looked odd - there is a large relieved section at the muzzle, much like a target aperture sight had once been attached. There are no markings on the 30-30 barrel. There seemed to be a join in the 30-30 barrel as it narrowed from the chamber. The 22HP barrel is original, stamped Savage High Pressure Steel, 22HP (lower barrel)

Imagine my surprise when I went to take the 30-30 barrel off and instead of unscrewing at the breech like the 99 take-down barrel should, most of the barrel slid loose without much force, leaving a chamber portion behind:

This barrel portion that is sleeved into the chamber portion seemed to be a loose interference fit. There was oil between the two. The sleeved barrel portion contains the chamber - here is picture with a factory Win 30-30 150grain in the chamber portion:

So what on earth has happened here in the past? Has a shade-tree gunsmith decided it was too hard to cut the square threads of a true 30-30 take-down barrel and cannibalised a real Savage TD barrel for the chamber portion and then sleeved a part of an old target barrel into it? It did not require much force to pull the two halves apart - can the prior owner have been shooting the 30-30 barrel like this?

What to do now?
Mechanically the action is great. The lever is firm with no droop. Trigger is heavy as normal with no creep. Wood and receiver are in great shape, scope is good. Magazine needs a dunk in solvent and bit of a clean. Ejection is a bit weak.

Get a smith to remove the 30-30 barrel stub and screw the 22HP barrel on, sell on as 22HP only?
Not sure I want to start casting for 22HP and I don't need a jacketed only shooter in that calibre.
try to source a replacement 30-30 barrel? (I am in Australia)
I haven't spent a lot as yet, $AUD500 ($USD451), dies, brass, projectiles that came with it are at least $AUD100 worth so I could sell it with the 22HP barrel on for $AUD400 ($USD360) and break even.

The 22HP barrel unfortunately has had a false muzzle bored, possibly by 97915
The same gunsmith?

The bolt face is also missing an alignment lug top centre of the bolt face:

Artful
02-26-2014, 09:23 AM
I'd say you got a project on your hands. By the way 22HP is .228 so not your normal .224 barrel. If it was me I'd think about non take down configuration and maybe look for .375 barrel blank.

john hayslip
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
In "Single Shot Rifles" Frank DeHaas (I think that's where I read it) had a interesting piece about taking a rolling block barrel and cutting off the threaded portion of the barrel and drilling it out much as done to yours and then silver soldering on a new barrel to the roller's threads. I'd imagine a good loctite would do if the new barrel is a good fit. I once had a 30-30 barrel for a take down 99 around but haven't seen it in awhile. I'll look.

john hayslip
02-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Oh, the 22 hi power is still available in a metric version but I don't remember the name. If you don't know hit me with a PM and I'll look it up.

Reg
02-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Looks like it was cobbled and misrepresented in the worst way. The 30-30 barrel is useless to a point of being unsafe. The HP barrel is whatever you want to make of it. The action also has issues that could affect safety. I would contact whoever you got it from and discuss these issues. It could be such you actually have a legal case.
Or
You can keep it and make an expensive project gun out of it.

Bullshop
02-26-2014, 12:14 PM
There are currently several Savage 99 take down barrels on Gunbroker in 250/3000

gnoahhh
02-26-2014, 02:20 PM
A .250 barrel likely won't work, the cartridges won't feed through the rotary magazine if it's configured for the .22HP. The missing alignment lug on top of the bolt face would concern me. I would see how it functioned with the HP barrel, and junk that nightmare of a .30/30 barrel.

Nothing wrong with rounding up a mold for the HP. I love the HPs I have for shooting cast bullets.

Metric nomenclature for .22HP is 5.6x52R. Ammo is made by S&B, Norma, and RWS. Best bet is to make it yourself out of .25/35 brass.

sthwestvictoria
02-26-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the thoughts fellows. The rifle did come with a unfired packet of 20 22HP by S&B so I can test function with those. I will take the rifle to a local smith and get the chamber stub portion removed and discuss whether it would be safe to build up the bolt face lug or not.

pietro
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM

While I like a challenge as much as the next guy, that package could turn into a real money pit.......................

Good luck, with it.

gnoahhh
02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Building up the bolt face lug may be unwise. The heat involved would draw the temper out of the steel. Were it mine, I would hunt up a replacement bolt. Lots of them floating around out there for not a lot of money.

If this is your first time to the Savage prom, check in at the Savage collectors forum on the 24 Hour Campfire. There are a couple of Antipodean Savage loonies in residence there who may likely come to the rescue of a fellow Australian.

sthwestvictoria
02-27-2014, 04:25 PM
Thanks gnoahh, that does sound like a good suggestion to touch base with the Australian collectors. I could import one from the US however one does need to apply for an import permit and then find someone in the US that will post to Australia. Numerich (gun parts) will do this but do not have any Savage 99 bolts currently.

I'll join up to the 24hour campfire site and enquire.

sav300
03-01-2014, 06:53 AM
Maybe 25-35? No mag change,no bolt change.Mine works well.Also am using a 99 with that part of the bold missing.Have noticed no problems.

nekshot
03-01-2014, 12:37 PM
i sure would figger something out for that rig and it would be in the 30-30 family I bet. Accept it as a challenge!

yooper
03-01-2014, 02:14 PM
From the sound of your last couple posts, you're well beyond the "return it to the seller" stage. Too bad IMHO. I think you'll spend a LOT of time, money and aggravation building a Savagestein of some configuration that may or may not be top notch. Personally, I'd be of a mind to just bite the bullet and sell it off as parts, taking your beating now. Good luck.
yooper

sthwestvictoria
03-01-2014, 04:35 PM
From the sound of your last couple posts, you're well beyond the "return it to the seller" stage.
yooper
Still debating and gathering information. Savage 99 are fairly rare in Australia and the TD more so and it would be a shame to break this one up but still not off the cards.
The idea about transitioning to 25-35 is a good one - brass a bit easier to form, molds definitely easier to obtain compared to .227 22HP. Of course this would still require a barrel, No-one in Australia does re-bores anymore apparently.
I was hoping to see a smith to discuss the safety of the firearm today.
I'll keep people in the loop, thanks for the great suggestions.

Bent Ramrod
03-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I have a solid frame 99 that was a shot out .30-30 and had it relined to .25-35. It shoots very nicely, and the liner handles the medium intensity .25-35 cartridge with no problems. The liner actually protruded through the front sight dovetail when the barrel was drilled out and the liner installed, but I filed it down and replaced the sight, with no problems. Even if nobody does rebores down there, any gunsmith worth his title should be able to do a reline job.