PDA

View Full Version : Alaska draw tags?

RugerFan
02-26-2014, 03:30 AM
Ok fellow Alaskans, what did everybody get for draw tags this year? I lucked out with a couple of pretty good ones. A Kenai Peninsula Mt goat tag and a Bison tag. I'm really stoked about both. I will probably use my 45-70 for the Bison. Can't wait!

AlaskanGuy
02-26-2014, 06:07 AM
You got a buffalo???? Dog.....

I don't have to draw for the stuff I am hunting... One brownie every year allowed, and 2 blacks... 5 deer, and I haven't heard about the federal moose draw yet...

tygar
02-26-2014, 07:08 PM
Ok fellow Alaskans, what did everybody get for draw tags this year? I lucked out with a couple of pretty good ones. A Kenai Peninsula Mt goat tag and a Bison tag. I'm really stoked about both. I will probably use my 45-70 for the Bison. Can't wait!

Damit, I put in for buf for over 20 yrs & never got one.

Bullshop Junior
02-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I never put in.

If you go down sawmill creek road on that buffalo hunt, the big green house on the left is where the bullshop used to be located.

RugerFan
02-27-2014, 12:37 AM
I never put in.

If you go down sawmill creek road on that buffalo hunt, the big green house on the left is where the bullshop used to be located.

This tag is for the farewell lake bison along the south fork of the Kuskokwim river. It will be a fly-in hunt and I will probably do a float.

AlaskanGuy
02-27-2014, 12:39 AM
You are very lucky.... That woodland bison is a once in a lifetime..... And plus, its a ton of real good meat.... If I was going, I wouldnt be looking for the biggest, just the tastiest... Lol

starmac
03-02-2014, 05:22 PM
I didn't put in for any draws, and have never put in for buffalo. I always figured it was a waste of time, as I know people that have been putting in forever for years with no luck. lol Glad to hear you got one, and hope you have a great hunt. Buffalo is right tasty too. lol

Djones
03-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Congratulations on the tag! I look forward to hear about your preparations and hunt. What mold/boolit are you going to use in the 45-70?

RugerFan
03-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Congratulations on the tag! I look forward to hear about your preparations and hunt. What mold/boolit are you going to use in the 45-70?

Most likely the RCBS 45-405-FN. I figure that would do the trick. The RCBS 45-300-FN is also a possibility, but I'll probably go with the heavier one.

The logistics are proving rather daunting, but I'm determined to make it happen. A plane ride to a bush community, another plane ride to drop me off in the mountains next to the river, float down river, shoot bison, float 2 days to a different bush community, catch plane back to Anchorage. And........this may be a solo hunt.

Chapo
03-04-2014, 01:29 AM
I get a Caribou tag (Forty Mile herd) and bear just in case. Also get a few for Moose tags to hunt up north in GMU 20 & 25

Slow Elk 45/70
03-04-2014, 02:08 AM
I put in for Buffler 20+ yrs...then gave up.....to old to go for one these days...Good Hunting

AlaskanGuy
03-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Dude... You cant do a hunt like this alone... Even the float part is just too dangerous to make alone... And if you slip and bust your ***, you will need a friend.... Not to mention that if you do get a buffalo, that is a ton of blood scent in the air, and that is grizz country... Not only that, how will you ever flip a buffalo alone??? Not to mention carrying a quarter to the boat alone is out of the question. This is surely a hunt for 2.... I bet there are a lot of alaskans on this forum that would love to go just to go... And watch your back..... This is a 2 man hunt my friend.... Ask around here... There are folks that would go....

AG

tygar
03-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Damit, I put in for buf for over 20 yrs & never got one.

This has got me so worked up I told my son to get the stuff so I can put in for Buff again. Dam more $ down the "draw" drain.

bearcove
03-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Definitely you will need help. 2 guy minimum to dress and pack it.

wlc
03-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Congrats on the buff tag!!!

I made my usual "donation" to game and fish. Skunked again.

RugerFan
03-05-2014, 06:23 PM
Dude... You cant do a hunt like this alone... Even the float part is just too dangerous to make alone... And if you slip and bust your ***, you will need a friend.... Not to mention that if you do get a buffalo, that is a ton of blood scent in the air, and that is grizz country... Not only that, how will you ever flip a buffalo alone??? Not to mention carrying a quarter to the boat alone is out of the question. This is surely a hunt for 2.... I bet there are a lot of alaskans on this forum that would love to go just to go... And watch your back..... This is a 2 man hunt my friend.... Ask around here... There are folks that would go....

AG

Ya I hear you. I would bone it out, so not carrying an entire quarter. Would only shoot one within a mile of the river (and make a lot of trips with meat). My hunting buddy is already commited to do a tentative sheep fly-out with his brother, but he still may go with me also. I have already told my intended bush pilot that I plan having two people for the trip and am working towards that. I have a couple other friends to hit up if my main hunting partner can't go. Going solo would be a last resort. I have done several solo hunts already. I will have a sattelite phone and SPOT (emergency GPS locator) with me either way.

white eagle
03-06-2014, 08:37 AM
I'll go
what time should I be there?

AlaskanGuy
03-06-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm in.. And I am an alaskan... Not like whit eagle, who is a lower 48 er... [smilie=1:

RugerFan
03-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I'll go
what time should I be there?

I'm in.. And I am an alaskan... Not like whit eagle, who is a lower 48 er... [smilie=1:

LOL!

I'm getting it worked out with my hunting buddy. I had to adjust my time-frame a bit, but it looks like he is going with me.

AlaskanGuy
03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Awwwwwwww shucks.... :awesome:

RugerFan
03-07-2014, 03:41 AM
Awwwwwwww shucks.... :awesome:

I will keep you in mind if anything falls through.

RugerFan
03-08-2014, 03:25 AM
My buddy has committed to go with me and I locked in the date with my bush pilot. All systems go!