View Full Version : First table at a gun show

TES
02-25-2014, 09:59 PM
What do I need to know?

Thanks in advance...
TES

Love Life
02-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Be personable. Nothing makes me put my wallet back in my pocket faster than somebody who is bothered by me asking them a question.

Blammer
02-25-2014, 10:04 PM
take a table cloth for the bottom of the table. take another cloth to cover for the evening.

take markers, pencil, pins and tags and labels for your items.

take a chair, and a cooler with drinks and snacks.

wv109323
02-25-2014, 11:30 PM
I only set up at one show to sell a lot of misc. items. I was surprised by how many vendors wanted to trade for my stuff.

rockrat
02-25-2014, 11:58 PM
comfortable chair and cooler. Ink pens, paper towels, cloths, cleaning rod, inspection light, calculator and pleasant attitude

Bored1
02-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Be personable. Nothing makes me put my wallet back in my pocket faster than somebody who is bothered by me asking them a question.

I second this!!!!

Just because you don't think a person may want/be able to afford one of your items, you never know!!! That guy with the kids in tow may buy a TON of your stuff, after only stopping because you said hello!

Bored1
02-26-2014, 12:08 AM

I second this!!!!

Just because you don't think a person may want/be able to afford one of your items, you never know!!! That guy with the kids in tow may surprise you!

Also say hello to everyone you can, sometimes that gets us to pause long enough to notice you have something I HAVE to have!

Last pet peeve I will rant about is, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. If I don't know what it is, just means I don't know WHY I NEED it

pal82
02-26-2014, 12:13 AM
Have plenty of cash to make change. It seems like every time I purchase a $20 item, all I have on me is a 100 dollar bill.

mnkyracer
02-26-2014, 12:22 AM
pal82 - I have the opposite problem. Every time I want to buy a $100 item all I have is a $20 bill.

MTtimberline
02-26-2014, 12:23 AM
List at sensible prices...

MTtimberline
02-26-2014, 12:26 AM
What show is it?

KYCaster
02-26-2014, 12:54 AM
Keep a close eye on your stuff and don't turn your back on anybody.

Used to be, you could leave your table unattended for a potty break, but things have changed in the last thirty years. While one guy draws your attention to one end of the table his buddy is at the other end stuffing his pockets with whatever he can lay his hands on.

Sad, but true. 99.99% of people will be honest and treat you right, but a couple seconds of inattention can cost you more than you can earn at the show.

Jerry

rockshooter
02-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Set up early- as mentioned earlier, the other vendors can be your best customers- give them time to look at and think about.
Loren

fatelk
02-26-2014, 01:58 AM
What they said, plus have fun!

I had my first (and last) gun show table just over a year ago. I had just gotten laid off, had a brand new baby, and was looking at moving for work (we did, a good move for the best job I've ever had).

I hauled a ton of stuff to the show, and sold a bunch of it. I would definitely take these guys' advice and prepare, prepare. I would have done better had I prepared better. A lot of stuff I was pricing at the last minute. Some stuff I could have sold had I remembered to dig it out from under the table and put a price on it. I sold a lot of stuff cheap and gave some stuff away. (That's what you do sometimes when life has you in a panic.)

Oh- and don't let people get to you. It's a lot different on that side of the table. Most people were pretty nice, but there were a few jerks over the weekend. I remember a couple that were just plain rude, telling me my prices were way out of line. When I finally got a break from selling stuff and looked around, I realized I had the best prices at the show! I guess they were just wanting 1980's prices.

I don't think I'll ever do it again, mostly because I don't have either the time or accumulation of stuff to sell, but it sure was an interesting experience.

sidecarmike
02-26-2014, 02:09 AM
My sister does this for a living. Actually, she works for a few different vendors as a substitute if someone can't work. She says rule number one is to price everything. You will get very tired repeating prices and a lot of people won't bother to ask. They'll just go on to the next table. Number two is don't overload the table. spread things out so even casual glances will pick out items. If need be, leave some things off the table until others sell or exchange items. If no one is looking at that item on the end, take it off and put something else in it's place.

LUBEDUDE
02-26-2014, 02:17 AM
Put prices on your items!

If a man is too lazy to price his goods, I just walk on by. I feel he is dishonest. The price he tells me is likely to be different than what he told another guy.

cat223
02-26-2014, 02:48 AM
pal82 - I have the opposite problem. Every time I want to buy a $100 item all I have is a $20 bill.

Are you sure they still make $100.00 bills? I haven't seen one since 1989. :(

Shepherd2
02-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Dealers that don't put prices on their goods are my pet peeve too. If I don't see price tags I just keep walking even though I might be interested in one of their items.

bob208
02-26-2014, 08:33 AM
i used to set up at gun shows. always tried to get near the door. that way you have first crack at anything that walks in. don't fall for the I am a dealer so you should sell it to me real cheap. set small items on the back of the table. makes them harder to grab and go. put prices on your stuff. watch your stuff. I have never been hit at a gun show. but at the car show I set up at 2 times a year I have been.

imashooter2
02-26-2014, 08:38 AM
A good handle on the Federal, State and local firearms laws would be important if you intend to sell firearms...

Other than that, the guys above have it pretty much covered. Price your goods and don't be offended by offers. If it's too low, just smile and say no or counter higher if it suits you to do so.

StrawHat
02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Take a friend, two can work a table easier than one and if one needs to leave, someone is still there to watch the stuff.

Price the stuff, I walk past unmarked tables.

KAF
02-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Buyers like to make a deal, leave some room for haggle. If a buyer thinks he won, he'll buy more. Bundle if needed. Mark asking price on anything on the table. Take extra cable ties so buyers can check action, bore etc.
Treat every buyer the way you like to be treated.

DHurtig
02-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Are you selling any new items that might be subject to sales tax? If so keep records. Many shows have the paper work for taxes for occasional vendors.

Most people who say " I'll be back " won't. Don't expect them to and you won't be disappointed. If they come back, it will be a pleasant surprise.

Take a couple of magazines in case it's really slow, but be aware of the people that are there.

Most shows I've done are Sat and Sun. Sunday sales are normally about half of Saturday in my experience. The shows that I have done that are open on Fri night, the Fri night sales weren't worth being there.

I have been making and selling predator and turkey calls for about 10 years. I also sell Damascus steel knives.

Like others have said, be friendly, polite and say hello to people.

These statements are based on my experience. Your mileage may vary.

6bg6ga
02-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Buy low and sell high

country gent
02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Always be polite and curteous, remember alot will go thru the show once to or teice to see whats there asking questions and looking. then go thru to tables and buy what they want need. Also remeber that looks dont equate to money. And some are always looking for deals the art of haggling is important to them. Fire arms need to be cased protected when moving or new scrathes dings appear much easier. A dowel or fired case thru the trigger gaurd will raise a firearm of the table for better viewing. Have everything labeled with make size caliber price and pertinint information.

montana_charlie
02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I always hate to see a news story where somebody fires a live round at a gun show. Even if nobody gets hit, it puts a bad taste on the whole piece of candy.

If you have guns to sell, observe anybody handling them to make sure he doesn't slip a cartridge into it.

CM

orangezuk
02-26-2014, 02:10 PM
All good stuff/info!
If you have long guns on the table try not to have them hanging off the edge into the isle. My father & I do a lot of shows with some pretty high-end stuff so we rent a lot of space. For those that do have'em hanging out there, I figure it 's there fault when things get banged up.

osteodoc08
02-26-2014, 02:28 PM
I've never been a vendor, but my take as a consumer and having been to lots of gun shows is this:

1. Dont go alone. I've seen more dishonesty and have called people out for putting things in their pockets. Bring a couple of eyes and ears to watch, but need to have some gun knowledge or at least of your product. Let them know what youre willing to take on an item. I hate having to wait on another person at the same booth to answer a basic question about an item. I love to see a pretty face, but I hate it when they say "I don't know" or "Let me get someone who can help you" and have to wait 10 minutes....cause I wont.

2. Be prepared to haggle. I wanted Richard Lee's Guide to Handloading and forgot to buy it online last time I ordered from Midway. Its like $20-21 dollars. I went to a table last time and the guy had $25 on it. I asked if he'd take $20 for it. He said the price was on the book. I thanked him for his time and walked off. He asked how I was going to reload without a reference, I told him I'd just get it off the Inet as I have done for years. All of his items were overpriced. Had he offered it for for even $22-23, I'd of bought it, but his attitude wouldnt allow me to give hi, my money. Heck, Had he even been decently personable, I'd of likely bought it for $25. It wasnt about the few dollars, it was about the fact that i couldnt even get him to talk to me and when he did, it was kind of over his shoulder and was just rude. That brings us to #3

3. Be polite even if someone asks a basic question. You'll run into the know it alls (that dont) and people that are just a novice and know minimal. If you have good knowledge on something, be personable with it, but not a history lesson.

4. Price everything. I typically walk past tables that dont have items marked unless it is something specific I'm looking for. I will also bypass all the other tables that are too high. Especially primers and powder. Again, leave some room for haggling. It's the nature of the beast.

5. Scope out your competition. If your much higher priced than another table on an identical item, you wont sell it. If I'm looking for something common, I'll go to the lowest priced vendor, haggle a little and walk out with my product. I'm happy, vendors happy. Win-Win.

6. Bring plenty of change and small bills to make change. And bring one of those pens to check for conterfeit bills.

7. Keep small items out of reach. Towards your side and dont put them all out if identical.

Best of luck to you.

Out of curiosity, what will you be selling?

RogerDat
02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
If you have several less expensive items for example pocket knives or the like, you can place them in a small bin for browsing and price the bin. If I slow down and start looking because the main items displayed look interesting I may well stop in order to look through the assorted bin items. Not so good approach for something such as bore brushes where I want to find the size I'm looking for.

Big turn off is you or me standing around digging for the "it's in here someplace" $5 item I'm thinking of buying. Have your stuff organized enough that if I ask "do you have that item for this gun or caliber or size" you can answer and find it.

Set up totally before people arrive. Myself and many others are there looking for specific item(s) and cruise looking for that which we came for. We did not pay the price of admission without having something we wanted to purchase. Now we might come back through later for leisurely browsing or might not. I'm not going to buy it from you if it's on your table 1/2 hour after I bought it someplace else or I have already spent my "extra" money on something that I saw that caught my eye because it was out on display when I made my initial look through.

+1 on nice people who are helpful make me decide to purchase from you now rather than order online and save a few bucks.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Lots of great advice so far.
I work one show a year as a vendor.
one thing I didn't see mentioned yet is...BAGS...if you have small items to sell, be sure to have bags for your customers.

Having a gimmic is good to. My show is in September, I always bring in a bushel of Honeycrisp apples from my trees, to sell for 50¢ each. Every year since, people will look for me specifically and ask for an apple. one year I had an old 'tough' looking Buck mount...shoulders on up. it needed help, I got it at a garage sale for $5. I put a big sign on him, "Bucky needs a new home...$25" while he never did sell, people noticed.

As already mentioned, bring a friend. two to a table is a great advantage for bathroom breaks, lunch, and leaving the table to go gun shopping.

If you strike out on bringing a friend, your gunshow table neighbor is your newest best friend. Watch his table and he'll watch yours. That is how I met one of my Best friends, The Mauser Artist .
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?195360-Mauser-WOWser&highlight=mauser

One last thing, There are always those type of "touchy - feely" gunshow shoppers, that feel the need to touch at least one thing on your table as they walk by...even if they don't stop. Give them something to touch, that isn't worth $1000. I put out a empty 1lb gunpowder canister that isn't too old, and mark it $1. This has become one of the most entertaining 'games' that my Mauser Artist friend and I play. During the slow times, we'll bet on who will or will not pick up the can. People walking by will wonder why we are laughing so hard...I let a few of them in on the game.
that's my 2¢

MUSTANG
02-26-2014, 03:22 PM
From a sales point of view; previous recommendations concerning "Don't prejudge if a person can afford to buy, or has interest in an item". Although I have "Fancy Clothes" in the closet for any occasion; as I become more "seasoned" in life, I find myself going around in old worn out jeans and shirts (wearing them out before I throw them out), frequently not shaving or having a recent haircut, in essence what even I would tend to prejudge as having less than others. Looking back this applies particularly when I go to gun shows, auctions, or negotiating on real estate purchases because I have inevitably been out camping, hiking, fishing, shooting, or hunting for a few days and am less than presentable.

DO NOT JUDGE A BUYER BY THEIR APPEARANCE. Treat all with respect and consideration, and you will be rewarded. I also agree on having a partner present, and having plenty of smaller bills to cover those who have the $100's in their pocket, or they go home and open the safe to get same if they find a buy and return.

TenTea
02-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Lots of great advice so far.
I work one show a year as a vendor.
one thing I didn't see mentioned yet is...BAGS...if you have small items to sell, be sure to have bags for your customers.

Having a gimmic is good to. My show is in September, I always bring in a bushel of Honeycrisp apples from my trees, to sell for 50¢ each. Every year since, people will look for me specifically and ask for an apple. one year I had an old 'tough' looking Buck mount...shoulders on up. it needed help, I got it at a garage sale for $5. I put a big sign on him, "Bucky needs a new home...$25" while he never did sell, people noticed.

As already mentioned, bring a friend. two to a table is a great advantage for bathroom breaks, lunch, and leaving the table to go gun shopping.

If you strike out on bringing a friend, your gunshow table neighbor is your newest best friend. Watch his table and he'll watch yours. That is how I met one of my Best friends, The Mauser Artist .
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?195360-Mauser-WOWser&highlight=mauser

One last thing, There are always those type of "touchy - feely" gunshow shoppers, that feel the need to touch at least one thing on your table as they walk by...even if they don't stop. Give them something to touch, that isn't worth $1000. I put out a empty 1lb gunpowder canister that isn't too old, and mark it $1. This has become one of the most entertaining 'games' that my Mauser Artist friend and I play. During the slow times, we'll bet on who will or will not pick up the can. People walking by will wonder why we are laughing so hard...I let a few of them in on the game.
that's my 2¢

Great stuff Jon and all the rest of youse guys.

Last tables I had (as an occasional amateur) I put out a wooden nickel with a sign *Don't Take Any Wooden Nickels!*
Also had an attention grabber (think some big, beautiful rifle on a bipod) on the table, and some small and inexpensive things too like 2cc containers of rifle grease from 1973 priced @ 3 for $1.
Having something for the kids is always good too, like DumDums or something.
I got into several conversations because I ate an MRE at my table for lunch too...
I spent some fun time walking the show with a 7 year old girl whose father I'd made a trade with.
She was a talker and had taken a shine to me somehow.
We had a great time walking the aisles!

I also got a recommendation to read *Hell, I Was There!* by Elmer Keith, which somehow I had never read.
I now own a copy and it is one of my all-time favorites!
I'm going back for more this year and hope to see my table neighbor spend over 4 grand on vintage S&W's in about 3 minutes again...lol.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-26-2014, 04:26 PM
I have sold at many gun shows but I never sold a firearm, too much hassle. I have sold lots of old knives. spurs, bridles, pits and other old cavalry items as well as some reloading gear. I am going to disagree with much of the advice you have been given so far. One piece of advice I will agree with is, take a friend. That's about it. Now for the difference and I can't emphasis this too strongly. Don't let the other venders clean you out. They keep a sharp eye out for innocents like you. If there is profit to be made, you want to make. Second disagreement, price nothing. I never did. When someone approaches your table, size him up. If he looks like he is flush throw out a high number. He can only say no and you can always come down but you can't go up. If he walks away, don't worry about it. If it's a good item he will come back. I have seen it too many times. Don't organize anything. Before our last move my wife and I got a table at the big show in Pomona, Ca. I had boxes of old bits and other antiques. Some I simply dumped on the table and the rest I left in boxes. I had to take a restroom break and when I came back my wife said she was organizing the items on the table. I stopped her. I told her they like to find it themselves. The very next man to come by was digging thru a box and he looked up and said" isn't this fun". I looked at my wife and smiled. Next Item. Don't lug a bunch of old books and magazines to the show. I took about 100 LBS of old gun digest dating from 1945 to the early 90s. I sold two, 1952 and 1929. I sold the rest in a yard sale for peanuts. I also took two sets of American Rifleman dating from 1927 to 1992. I didn't sell any Rifleman at the show but I met a man who came to my house and bought one set for a $100. I gave away the other set. I did sell gun parts as well as some other related items. This was in 1997 and I sold over $1800 worth from noon Friday thru 2:PM on Saturday. I had run out of items except for the books and I figured they were a lost cause so we packed up and went home. This was just one of many shows and swap meets we have sold at over the years and I have learned a lot about selling. If someone doesn't like the fact that you don't have items priced don't let it bother you. You are there to make money, not friends. Don't get the impression that I am not friendly or that I can't make jokes with people. I can and I enjoy it, in fact you could say I love it. My wife doesn't understand why I stop people on the street or in a restaurant with a joke or funny remark. I found it also helps in selling. My advice. Use it or not but let us know how you made out.

waksupi
02-26-2014, 04:29 PM
Clean the guns, have plenty zip ties, and have a cloth with oil on it to wipe off finger prints.

sidecarmike
02-26-2014, 04:56 PM
... Don't organize anything. Before our last move my wife and I got a table at the big show in Pomona, Ca. I had boxes of old bits and other antiques. Some I simply dumped on the table and the rest I left in boxes. I had to take a restroom break and when I came back my wife said she was organizing the items on the table. I stopped her. I told her they like to find it themselves. The very next man to come by was digging thru a box and he looked up and said" isn't this fun". I looked at my wife and smiled. Next Item. Don't lug a bunch of old books and magazines to the show. I took about 100 LBS of old gun digest dating from 1945 to the early 90s. I sold two, 1952 and 1929. I sold the rest in a yard sale for peanuts. I also took two sets of American Rifleman dating from 1927 to 1992. I didn't sell any Rifleman at the show but I met a man who came to my house and bought one set for a $100. I gave away the other set. I did sell gun parts as well as some other related items. This was in 1997 and I sold over $1800 worth from noon Friday thru 2:PM on Saturday. I had run out of items except for the books and I figured they were a lost cause so we packed up and went home. This was just one of many shows and swap meets we have sold at over the years and I have learned a lot about selling. If someone doesn't like the fact that you don't have items priced don't let it bother you. You are there to make money, not friends. Don't get the impression that I am not friendly or that I can't make jokes with people. I can and I enjoy it, in fact you could say I love it. My wife doesn't understand why I stop people on the street or in a restaurant with a joke or funny remark. I found it also helps in selling. My advice. Use it or not but let us know how you made out.

I have to disagree with organization. While that guy is "having fun" digging through your pile and looking for a $2 treasure, 35 real buyers walked past without seeing anything. I also disagree with the pricing. If there is no price, I will move on to the next table. My sister claims that, just like in the want ads and Craigslist, if there is no price it's probably overpriced. How many times do you want to be interrupted by someone who won't pay the price you want? Why not post the price and make the sale? The same goes for overpricing, figuring people will haggle.
Last weekend at the Barron show, my son was looking for a .22 for his girlfriend. She picked up one that she liked and the guy said he wanted $400 for it. My son told her only had $200 to spend. The guy immediately said he'd take the 200. Girlfriend was no longer interested. She decided if he was willing to drop his price that much there had to be something wrong with the gun. They wound up spending more money with another vendor for an identical model. If this is more than a one time thing, you develop a reputation fast. I walk in to a local show and immediately know which vendors to avoid.

TES
02-26-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. Just selling ammo....nothing else. I'll be at the Helena show trying to make ends meet. All of your suggestions will be used to one degree or another. I have worked trade shows before and I call everyone that makes eye contact. In my opinion you get to where you want to be faster by speaking to as many people as possible. If you are busy.....people buy from you regardless if you are over or under on price a little.....they like the energy AND the product. I got this part down pat but the sundries suggestions are what I miss 99% of the time and thanks for the insight.

TES

Love Life
02-26-2014, 05:10 PM
No beanie babies...

Blammer
02-26-2014, 05:16 PM
No beanie babies...

Unless they are holding an AR!

TES
02-26-2014, 05:37 PM
NO LL Tannerite Beanies only. Hey! Wait! There could be a market for that......hmmm exploding fad toy / pop star memorabilia that millions of parents "had" to buy. I'm thinking huge market here.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-26-2014, 08:32 PM
sidecarmike, it seems that most of what I said sailed over your head. In the first place you have no idea what I got for items I sold . You might be surprised how much I got for some of my 2 dollar treasures. What part about 1800 bucks in a little over 24 hours don't you get. I sold out to the table cloth except as I said, the books. Another point, there was a crowd around my table as long as I had items to sell. I know from experience what is worth money and what is not. I should also mention , since it seems to be a concern to everyone, very few walked by my table without stopping and some guys came back several times. I have sold at gun shows and swap meets for over forty years. I know what I am talking about. If you don't agree with me. I really don't care.

sidecarmike
02-26-2014, 09:16 PM
sidecarmike, it seems that most of what I said sailed over your head. In the first place you have no idea what I got for items I sold . You might be surprised how much I got for some of my 2 dollar treasures. What part about 1800 bucks in a little over 24 hours don't you get.--- If you don't agree with me. I really don't care.

I don't care either. I'm only stating my opinion and that of a family member who sells. She says $750 a day above your investment and expenses is about average. but she's surprised you could make that without organizing. More power to you.

Hawkeye45
02-26-2014, 09:19 PM
This reminds me of a bunch of guys sitting around a pot bellied stove with their favorite beverage.
Love it !!

Mr. Ed

Monttexan
02-26-2014, 09:31 PM
One handy trick: move stuff around on your table part way through the show. As stated earlier lots of folks will walk through a show to see what's there and then go back to take a closer look at what they're interested in. If something has changed about your table it can make them pause to see what it is. It can be as small as flipping one handgun over and you will see it catch people's attention. Mid afternoon on Saturday swap some of your ammo around and see what happens.

00buck
02-26-2014, 09:35 PM
bring a buddy so you can take breaks and look around

rockrat
02-26-2014, 09:40 PM
Also, you will probably get someone you don't know , stop in front of your table, and tell stories, some gun related, most not, for about 10-15min. All the while, he is in the middle of the table, blocking others from getting to and looking at your merchandise. Never fails. Forgot, gun oil, to go with the cloths, to wipe off fingerprints of parents/kids who are eating salty popcorn while handling your stuff.

Those that tell you to hold it for them, they will be "right back", but never show. Finally started to ask for a deposit to hold it for 15 min., usually they decline. Lost a decent sale in the early days, telling a cash customer that the item was spoken for, guy never came back to get it.

waksupi
02-26-2014, 09:48 PM
It is surprising how much you can make in a weekend. Last one I set up at, I made around $2500, and it didn't seem like anything was gone from what I had to haul back home.

Kalispell Spring Gun Show is the last weekend in March, always a good show in the past. Best one of the year here, lots of variety, with some real high quality stuff showing up at times. If anyone out of the area wants tables, I have the contact info if you need it. I still haven't decided whether to set up, or not.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Also, you will probably get someone you don't know , stop in front of your table, and tell stories, some gun related, most not, for about 10-15min. All the while, he is in the middle of the table, blocking others from getting to and looking at your merchandise. Never fails. Forgot, gun oil, to go with the cloths, to wipe off fingerprints of parents/kids who are eating salty popcorn while handling your stuff.

Those that tell you to hold it for them, they will be "right back", but never show. Finally started to ask for a deposit to hold it for 15 min., usually they decline. Lost a decent sale in the early days, telling a cash customer that the item was spoken for, guy never came back to get it.
Yep, nothing is much more annoying then the "Be back"...except when a friend does it to you.

A few years, I had a 8 3/8 S&W mod 57 on the table for $350. It had a couple issues, but still a great deal on a shooter. It seemed to catch everyone's eye, but no takers on the first morning, I was surprised, I figure it'd go right away.

Well, my friend wanted it bad, and he made several offers for a trade, then haggled me down in a cash price...then asked me to hold it for him til the next day, so he could ask the wife for permission. I told him, he better bring cash, but I ain't holding it for you. The gun sold about 30 minutes later to someone else. He showed up the next day with the cash, and he was quite upset that it was sold. He brings this up everytime we run into each other, and I bring up a dozen "Be back" stories I've experienced over the years, where they never came back...and of course I give him krap about asking the wife for permission for a $300 gun...Heck he is a Big Union guy, making Big Bucks.

6bg6ga
02-27-2014, 11:55 AM
You did the right thing. If you had waited for your friend there is a very good chance that his wife would have told him no and you would have turned down a sure sale. Business and friendship simply don't mix. My wife and I have an agreement. She buys her stuff and I buy mine up to a limit of 1K and anything over that we discuss.

waksupi
02-27-2014, 12:36 PM
With the "I'll be back's", as they are walking away, I tell them it goes to whoever shows cash first. Sometimes that will push them over the edge for a buy.

MUSTANG
02-27-2014, 06:39 PM
An old saying of used car salesmen:

"If Be Backs were Green Backs; your wallet would be full"

GOPHER SLAYER
02-27-2014, 06:45 PM
Mike, you still don't get it. When I sell at the gun show or swap meet, the last thing I want people to think is that I'm organized. When I walk thru a show or swap meet and I pass someone that has everything in neat rows with little price tags on each item, It tells me, this person knows exactly what his stuff is worth. No bargains here. When I sell, I price nothing because I want buyers to think I'm a poor rube that doesn't know the real value of what he is selling. If your family member sells a new product then my method will not work for her. I will give you a good example of what I am talking about. I was walking thru a swap meet on a Saturday and I saw this man dressed in bib overalls wearing a straw hat and a red bandana around his neck. He was selling old tractor seats and other old farm related gear. He had his act down pat complete with a rube accent and a lot of aw shucks. I waited until he had no one else looking and struck up a conversation with him. After a short wait I asked him, what do you do for a living and he said" I'm an engineer for McDonald- Douglas". The last thing you would call his display was organized and nothing had prices on it but he was doing very well. If you want to make money by selling anywhere there is one rule you must adhere to, you make money on an item, not when you sell but when you buy it and when you sell it you need to price it slightly below market value. This rule has worked very well for me. My father who was born in 1895 could never understand why anyone would pay me good money for some old piece of rusty junk or an old oak chest. He grew up with the stuff and he had no use for it. He liked things that were new and shiny. I told him over and over, I don't care. All I care about is that they will. As I am typing this I can look to my right and see fours shelves of old toy cannons, cradle phones from the 1930s, old kerosene lamps, carbide miners lamp, antique coffee grinder, butter mold and an old walnut boot jack and other items. I only bought one item. The coffee grinder. I paid 10 bucks for it. I could take it all to a show this coming weekend and sell it to the last item but I couldn't buy it back. The items I wrote about selling in my first thread I could sell today for twice as much. You have to guess when to let go. A number of people who replied to my first post said they passed any table that didn't have each item priced. I didn't have that problem. Most of the time I had a crowd at my table and I was taking in money so fast my wife couldn't stop to count it. That is something women love to do. My wife wouldn't let me leave her even to go to the rest room. I finally said I have to go. When I got back there people waiting for me. I figured out that I spent a total of thirteen hours selling at that show between Friday and Saturday and I sold as I said , a little over $1800. I didn't learn all this over night. It is a slow learning process and you will make mistakes. You have to learn from them. What I have told you has worked well for me. You are free to take my advice or not, as I said, I really don't care.

RogerDat
02-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Seems to me there is a difference between the type of items being sold that would influence if it needs to be organized or not. Boxes of ammo are a different item than assorted mil-surp pouches and carry bags. The ammo needs to be at least organized enough that I can locate what you have that I shoot. A number of bins full of interesting "stuff" in no particular order might get me to stop just to see what there is.

Unless you know the going price and/or your cost you can't price it. If your selling ammo you can probably figure out a price that represents an acceptable profit and a price that will look good to a buyer. I would at least put a price card in front of ammo. Price drives commodity purchase more than it does durable goods. Bullets being a commodity are something people will impulse purchase on seeing a good price, nice firearm or reloading press the impulse to buy is based on wanting to own it. Possibly more room to dicker on that type of item, especially if used, or bundled with some accessories.
Think of it this way people buy nails differently than they buy tools. I need some nails, I want to have the tool.

osteodoc08
03-10-2014, 10:11 AM
TES,

So how'd it go?

gravel
03-10-2014, 08:05 PM
if you are selling a firearm, have a bore light or at least a mini flashlight so folks can see the bore.

if you are selling a firearm, have some (cheaper) ammo for it. you can use it to sweeten a deal. or just sell it to the gun buyer.

have some plastic bags so people don't have to carry small items in their hands or pockets.

remy3424
03-11-2014, 12:27 AM
Set-up at a gun show for the first time a year ago, had a good time, sold most of the excess **** I took(no firearms), reinvested most of the money into a varmint rifle. The show I went to is only shooting related stuff, none of the other BS that you often see at the big shows. Bringing table cloths is a great tip. If you get POed here I can't image doing well with people face to face..... Everyone has their own ways to do things, just cause it is different that yours, it does mean they are wrong, just the way they choose to conduct their business. Let us know how it went.

Boyscout
03-11-2014, 02:52 AM
To re-emphasize what Rockrat said, don't let a non-buyer tie you up. One thing I hate more than anything else is a vendor that makes me work hard to spend my money. Nothing is worse than waiting behind a non-buying know-it-all and struggling to get a quick question in before trying to buy.

I once waited five minutes for a vendor while he complained to one of his buddies about one thing after another. Instead of buying his cast bullets, I found another vendor who had a bunch of Lee casting equipment and the rest is history. As a side-note, both vendors still do the show and the one that was too busy for me is still too busy for me.