PDA

View Full Version : Source for V Block stock? (V Section?)

ohland
02-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Folks, as I was leafing through the torrid sex-fueled novel called Setup Reduction through Efficient Workholding (honest! I read it only for the articles!), I noticed a reference to a form of bar stock called a "V Section". Otherwise, stock rolled out in some form of a looong V Block. Anyone with a lead on this? Otherwise, bandsawing and milling at 45 degrees is the way its gonna be...

:?:

:coffeecom

country gent
02-25-2014, 07:05 PM
HeresHow I made my Vee Blocks for work. Cut stock to length and rough Milled ends square. Inked and layed out. With the Rolling saw I roughed in the vees with in .100. Milled vees rails and trued up outsides. Clamped down together lightly dusted vees to be close. Heat treated and annealed to 55-58 rockwell. Ground as a set with "inside" ends marked. On the granite plate my vee blocks are with in .0002 of parrallel, center, and hieght. While a simple looking tool getting them right is a undertaking. I used my 3"X4" angle plate with the Vee machined in it more than the blocks. On the Vee blocks a bolt on clamp with the sides narrower than the blocks allows block to be turned on its sides to work 3 sides or clamped on sides easily. I would decide sizes depending on vise size on your mill. Keep them simple but accurate.

ohland
02-25-2014, 07:44 PM
All that is what I'd rather not do. One can get cheap V blocks from flee-bay.

http://www.flexbar.com/shop/pc/MICRO-RISE-V-BLOCKS-STD-SET-p4718.htm

Something like this would be simple (not easy). But if I could find suitable stock, it sure would help reduce the amount of chips. Never saw "holes" being sold on flee-bay, and thats what machining unneeded stock is.

:coffeecom