PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco smell anyone?

nekshot
02-25-2014, 04:38 PM
I raise tobacco and boil it for the tea to use as organic garden spray and the last couple casting sessions I used some leaves to flux the pot. I cannot say it is better than anything else but it sure smells better, kinda like expensive cigar smoke. Any one else try this? I thought of giving some packets as a fund raiser for the forum but maybe thats just "blowing smoke"!

wlc
02-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Hadn't thought of using it for fluxing.... I thought when I read the title that it was gonna be a thread about do you like the smell of tobacco. I actually hate the smell of a cigarette, but love the smell of a good cigar and especially pipe tobacco.

I'll have to drop some snuff in the pot the next time I cast and see how it works. Like you said it will smell better than wax or some of the other stuff we use. I personally like the wood smoke smell I get when I stir the pot with a small wooden stick.

tomme boy
02-25-2014, 04:51 PM
I smoked for 17 years. Three packs+ a day. I can not stand the smell of it anymore. This April will be 8 years free. I would not be able to use it. Like wlc I like the smell of a pipe.

mold maker
02-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Before working with walnut, or cedar, I clean and sweep so the shavings and sawdust aren't mixed with junk.
Boy do I love those, when toasting on top of my melt.

Frosty Boolit
02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm. captain black.

376Steyr
02-25-2014, 05:03 PM
I've been known to float a fresh cigar butt on the melt. I can't say it improves matters any. Just one more reason I have a casting shed instead of setting up in the garage.

osteodoc08
02-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Mom is a smoker and dad was before his passing. My wife has restarted after quitting almost a year. I gave up my motorcycle and she was SUPPOSED to give up smoking. Of course I dont have the capital to run out and buy a new one right now. Maybe next year if funds allow.

I love pipe tobacco smoke. A very sweet satisfying smell, not the nasty acrid smell of cigarette smoke. I don't smoke personally. My wife only smokes outside, but it still gets on her clothes and breath. I wont kiss her if I can smell it.

I do like the smell of hardwood. Anyone use mesquite or applewood or similar to flux with. Kinda expensive, but hey, it might be worth a try.

Smoke4320
02-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Osteodoc08
"Of course I dont have the capital to run out and buy a new one right now." personally I would not buy another wife .. just rent one :) :) much cheaper that way

geargnasher
02-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Will fluxing with tobacco make the boolits jittery?

GEar

472x1B/A
02-25-2014, 06:02 PM
I will put bits and pieces of broken cinnamon sticks in the pot to kinda 'spice' things up when casting. You should try it sometime it's relaxing and opens up the sinuses.

montana_charlie
02-25-2014, 06:46 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm. captain black.
I no longer smoke a pipe, but Captain Black Gold was my favorite.
I found out which 'bulk' tobaccos to buy in order to mix it up myself, and will gladly tell you if you want to know.

CM

Beau Cassidy
02-25-2014, 06:54 PM
I am using some mahogany sawdust a friend gave me. Smells kinda nice.

leeggen
02-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Bourkumriff (sp) Used to smoke quit in 1980. At tabbaco prices I can really do some shooting just from what I save!

xs11jack
02-25-2014, 10:39 PM
So now you are breathing second hand smoke. Nice. Soon you'll have COPD just like me!
Ole Jack

MT Gianni
02-25-2014, 10:47 PM
I fix commercial gas meters and it seems like large business's seem to make the smoking area next to the meter. Week old butts make me gag, I'll pass.

DHurtig
02-26-2014, 11:08 AM
I smoked for over 30 years, but gave it up after a massive heart attack and 7 by-passes 6 years ago. It was probably 3 years before I walked out the door and didn't automatically reach for my shirt pocket. Smoked a few cigars too. Would like to try one now and again, but fear they would lead me back to cigarettes. I still love the smell of smoke when I'm outside with the smokers, but can't stand the smell of smoke on clothes etc.

I turn predator and turkey calls. I have over 50 species of wood on hand, so I always have an abundance of saw dust and wood shavings to throw in the pot. Smells can range from flowers and spice to burning a rotted skunk. I tend to be more careful now about what I throw in the pot.

This is a call I just made from leopard wood. It's not quite finished in the picture, but it's slate over glass now.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/c_latrans/Picture384_zps9b101b35.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/c_latrans/media/Picture384_zps9b101b35.jpg.html)

bhn22
02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
I do know a guy who claims to flux with cigar butts. He posts here from time to time and may join in.

osteodoc08
02-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Osteodoc08
"Of course I dont have the capital to run out and buy a new one right now." personally I would not buy another wife .. just rent one :) :) much cheaper that way

Back in my single days....Let me just say you are absolutely correct. But I still owuldnt trade her for the world. I've gotta take her with her faults as she does mine.