PDA

View Full Version : Herter's Super...

BCB
02-25-2014, 03:08 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/20u9537.jpg

I wonder what I have here?...

The dies etc. off to the left in the photo were in a box that had "16 Gauge" written on it...

The other dies were as shown on the press...

Once I find out what it is, I am interested to find instructions as to how to set it up...

Anybody look at the pic and possible determine if all the parts might be there to make it functional?...

Thanks...BCB

Reg
02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Looks like one of Herters later model shot shell press's. Kind of a copy of a MEC. If the dies are marked 16 ga. they most likely are.

BCB
02-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Looks like one of Herters later model shot shell press's. Kind of a copy of a MEC. If the dies are marked 16 ga. they most likely are.

The dies on the left came out of a non-manufactures box. It had 16 gauge written on the outside...

The other dies etc. were on the press--maybe 12 gauge...

Maybe someone might have instructions for this critter?...

Thanks...BCB

Pressman
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
I might have the instructions. It will take some research to pin down the model.
Ken

BCB
02-25-2014, 06:44 PM
I might have the instructions. It will take some research to pin down the model.
Ken

There is some type of number on it, but it is difficult to read...

It looks like U803 or U903...

I can't tell if it is an "8" or a "9"...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Ken

I've looked at quite a few pics on the Net and I can't find one that looks like it--at least when I do the Herter's Google...

I wonder if it is made by another company, and Herter's purchased them and put their name on it?...

That is the problem, I don't know enough about presses (nothing) to know what other brand names to Google...

Thanks...BCB

seagiant
02-26-2014, 09:25 AM
Hi,
I will stick my neck out and say Mr Herter never made anything himself much like Sears! However like Sears in the 50's and 60's their "Craftsman" badged Shop Tools were pretty darn good and today are sought after and rebuilt to good as new and will be enjoyed for 50 more years!

If you were a mind to rebuild this loader I KNOW that it would make excellent ammo. Any missing parts could be retrofitted from MEC or a part from Texan. A lot of these simple machines were made by different companys in the 60's and work quite well if maintained!

BCB
02-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Hi,
I will stick my neck out and say Mr Herter never made anything himself much like Sears! However like Sears in the 50's and 60's their "Craftsman" badged Shop Tools were pretty darn good and today are sought after and rebuilt to good as new and will be enjoyed for 50 more years!

If you were a mind to rebuild this loader I KNOW that it would make excellent ammo. Any missing parts could be retrofitted from MEC or a part from Texan. A lot of these simple machines were made by different companys in the 60's and work quite well if maintained!

I agree with all...

I actually think all the parts are there and as I continue to look at it closer, it might be for a 16 gauge. But, there sure are lots of duplicate parts so maybe it can also be used for 12 gauge also? I don't know if they are sold specifically for a particular gauge...

Seems the charge bar would be different for each gauge/load duty one wishes to create...

BCB

BCB
02-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Whoops, just took the charge bar apart and I see there are bushings that would change the powder/shot weight--dah...

Only a one shot and one powder bushing with it...

Starting to clean it up a bit on a fine brush wheel and a buffing wheel...

Starting to look pretty good so far...

Now if I could acquire a parts list and instruction manual--but, I suspect that will be found in the future...

BCB

seagiant
02-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Hi,
Here is a before and after on a Lachmiller loader I redid. Although slow in operation makes a great shotshell!

BCB
02-27-2014, 09:13 AM
I sure must have found a "bastard" Herter's press...

Can't find a pic anywhere...

Even from other brand names that might have manufactured it for Herter's...

Oh well, I am at least cleaning it up and going to paint the main frame...

Thanks...BCB

Walter Laich
02-27-2014, 09:27 AM
I'm sure you know that those old bottles get very brittle. I dropped my 5 year old MEC bottle once and it shattered like it was ice.

Randy C
02-27-2014, 09:46 AM
I think it is missing shell holders. I'm a Hornady guy.

BCB
02-27-2014, 11:26 AM
I think it is missing shell holders. I'm a Hornady guy.

Shell holders for shotgun shells?...

BCB

danomano
02-27-2014, 11:33 AM
I think he means shell holders like the DL-150 and 155 from Pacific (Hornady)

BCB
02-27-2014, 11:46 AM
I think he means shell holders like the DL-150 and 155 from Pacific (Hornady)

Guess I'll have to find a pic of those and take a look...

As I look at all the parts that were on the press and some that came in a box, I am beginning to wonder if all the parts are there...

I guess if I could find a manual for it, I could try to match the parts...

May just end up with a nicely painted frame and nice shiny parts--whatever they are!!!

I do think the press was working when it was shelved for many years...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
02-27-2014, 12:17 PM
I looked at the 155 parts list and I see what you mean...

There might be a hole for that to be inserted, I don't know for sure...

The pic I submitted is as I got it and I do think the person that had it was loading shotgun shells...

There was a bit of powder and shot in the bottles...

Guess I will go to there person were I got it and see if there might be a couple more parts laying around the bench...

Thanks...BCB

seagiant
02-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Hi,
I don't know if you are an experienced shotshell loader or not? It looks to me from the pic that your loader works from right rear (facing it) to left rear. If your loader resizes the brass I can't tell but is usually the first step along with knocking the old primer out. Second station seats a new primer. Third station (front) drop powder,seat wad, drop shot. Fourth station pre crimp,fifth station,final crimp!

If you know the steps and what is suppose to happen you can figure out how to get it running or if you are missing something! Be advised not all loaders resized the brass portion of the shotshell!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfKx9tKESs

BCB
02-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Hi,
I don't know if you are an experienced shotshell loader or not? It looks to me from the pic that your loader works from right rear (facing it) to left rear. If your loader resizes the brass I can't tell but is usually the first step along with knocking the old primer out. Second station seats a new primer. Third station (front) drop powder,seat wad, drop shot. Fourth station pre crimp,fifth station,final crimp!

If you know the steps and what is suppose to happen you can figure out how to get it running or if you are missing something! Be advised not all loaders resized the brass portion of the shotshell!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfKx9tKESs

I think you are correct as the decapping pin is in the right rear side…

If one advances the hull clockwise (looking down from the top) it eventually gets to the station where powder is dropped, then it looks like a wad setter (!) then the shot drop, etc.

I noted that you indicated "if your loader resizes the brass". Are there some that don't do this process?...

I used to reload shotgun shells but only with the Lee Loadall as I only loaded them for hunting and not skeet or trap. The inexpensive Lee work O.K. for my needs…

I just thought I might restore the Herter’s and give it a try—just for something to do during the never-ending winter…

It would be a nice conversation piece on the end of my bench…

I'll watch the youtube...

Thanks all. We’ll get it figured out one way or another…

BCB

seagiant
02-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Hi,
Yes! Some loaders resized as the old primer was knocked out,some when the final crimp was done! Some not at all! Although all my loaders have the ability to resize,I now have gone to using an older no longer made Lachmiller deprimer/resizer. It is the bomb for the job and makes the final loading more fun! Hope you can get your loader running,you will enjoy it more than a Lee and have the satisfaction of saving an orphan!

danomano
02-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Seagiant! that thing is awesome! I am going to ave to keep my eye out for one! does it have a model #?

BCB
02-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi,
Yes! Some loaders resized as the old primer was knocked out,some when the final crimp was done! Some not at all! Although all my loaders have the ability to resize,I now have gone to using an older no longer made Lachmiller deprimer/resizer. It is the bomb for the job and makes the final loading more fun! Hope you can get your loader running,you will enjoy it more than a Lee and have the satisfaction of saving an orphan!

I put this critter back together and I ran it through the route of doing a fired shotgun shell...

I actually broke-down one that I had reloaded previously with a Lee press and went from start to finish...

It does decap rear right section. Next step it seats primer. Next steps it dumps powder, then seats wad, then dumps shot...

From here it gets a bit iffy. I was using 6-point crimp cases and it came with an 8 point-crimp starter...

Once I got the crimp started, the next step was to crunch the crimp (sorry for lack of terminology!)...

The final step finished pushing the crimp down and sized the brass. I had to insert the hull in this tool to allow it to be pushed into it and then pushed out with the final step...

Is this something that must be done with each hull at the end. Manually putting this die on the shell and allowing the press to do its thing?...

Sorry I can't explain it very well, but I ended up with a finished shotgun shell...

I think there may be a die with this outfit that will seat the end of shotgun shells that doesn't crimp but has a card board end. Roll crimp?... (Sorry again for lack of terminology!)...

Now if I just had a manual for it and could really study it and get things fine tuned or maybe figured out...

Thanks all...BCB

seagiant
02-27-2014, 04:20 PM
Hi.
No, they come up on EBay quite often. Make sure you get one complete as parts are hard,even though RCBS/Huntington does have some, (they bought out Lachmiller)but it's $$$!

Here is a pic of one Randy Buchanan rebuilt!!!

seagiant
02-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi BCB,
Good deal! Your on your way! Look at your extra parts there maybe a 6 star crimp you can put in place of the 8 star. They usually came with both! Lacking that MEC may have something you can retro fit! If you have a friend with a small lathe you can make you some bushings for the powder. They are easy to make. That loader on a solid bench should be a pleasure to use!

TreeKiller
02-28-2014, 02:44 AM
IT looks like a Herters New Professional Model 903. Page 525 to 527 in the #80 catalog 1970.

seagiant
02-28-2014, 04:38 AM
Hi,
Try this: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185737

BCB
02-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Hi,
Try this: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185737

Thanks...

I went there and read the posts on that thread...

I had to register to be able to attempt to contact the one poster who might have info--a very old thread though, but that person might still be a member...

Will wait now for approval to post on that site...

Will continue to seach. Seems like it is a 903 as I previously thought...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
03-15-2014, 02:00 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/11mg7ky.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/zxjm3d.jpg

A couple of pics of the “finished” product…
(Compare to the original pic)

It was an interesting journey…

It was thought to be a Model 900—then another viewer of the original pic thought it was a Model 903. He sent the instructions he had for the press that looked the same…

Interestingly, in the instructions he sent, they call the parts list for a Model 72N—apparently they are the same press. Although Model 903 was mentioned in the instructions also…

Regardless, it is up and working. The reloaded shotgun shells are an Activ, a double AA, and a Federal Champion paper. The paper hull was originally a 6-point crimp, but I used the 8-point crimp starter on it and it turned into an 8-point crimp without a problem. I am certain this would not happen with plastic hull…

Therefore, I am now looking for a 6-point crimp starter as none were with all the tools/dies that came with the press…

By the way, all the tools and dies are for 12 gauge and 16 gauge. All parts are there except the 6-point crimp starter…

Finding bushings will be my next move…

So, anyone reading this who might have some of the needed parts mentioned—well, you know how to get ahold of me…

Thanks to all who helped…

BCB

fguffey
03-15-2014, 03:59 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/20u9537.jpg

Thanks...BCB

According to Herter's you have a Pro. model 903.

F. Guffey

BCB
03-15-2014, 04:21 PM
According to Herter's you have a Pro. model 903.

F. Guffey

Maybe so, but if you Google Herters Professional Model 903, you end up with deer calls...

BCB

MT Chambers
03-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Professional model, "the finest reloader ever made".

BCB
03-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Professional model, "the finest reloader ever made".

Well, I don't know about that as I don't know much about shotgun reloaders, but I do know that with the limited adjustments I made to it, I got some pretty nice looking shells reloaded...

I think it's kind of "neat"!!!...

BCB

Skunk1
03-15-2014, 06:35 PM
You did a great job. I love refinishing old equipment.

fguffey
03-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Maybe so, but if you Google Herters Professional Model 903, you end up with deer calls...

BCB

I would not Google, I dug out the Herter's catalog. page 511, 512 and 513, among other things it is/was advertise as the model that did not wiggle.

F. Guffey

BCB
03-16-2014, 04:04 PM
I would not Google, I dug out the Herter's catalog. page 511, 512 and 513, among other things it is/was advertise as the model that did not wiggle.

F. Guffey

Well, all well and good if a person has a Herter's Catalogue from days gone by...

I have seen them on eBay, but I really wasn't into purchasing one of them...

Apparently 903 was a number that was used by Herters for things other than shotgun presses...

I have yet to hit any info on the 903 on any internet site. Herters pages, shotgun press pages, etc...

The only info I have gotten so far is from people who have the actual press or the actual instructions for that press...

Seems to be a strange critter, that Model 903 is...

But, I am moving forward and still hope to get the 6-point crimp starter and some more of the powder/shot bushings...

BCB

seagiant
03-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Hi,
Great job! You have saved an orphan! You might try MEC and see if a 6 point from them could be fitted!

Old_School
03-26-2014, 03:13 PM

The dies etc. off to the left in the photo were in a box that had "16 Gauge" written on it...

The other dies were as shown on the press...

Once I find out what it is, I am interested to find instructions as to how to set it up...

Anybody look at the pic and possible determine if all the parts might be there to make it functional?...

Thanks...BCB

Looks like it shares a lot of attributes with the old Texan Loadmaster presses.

LUBEDUDE
03-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Looks like it shares a lot of attributes with the old Texan Loadmaster presses.

You're right Old School. Acme, Texan, Savage, Herters, Mec; they all copied each when things were hot and business was booming. Just like the 1911 craze going on now and the past 10-12 yrs?

And the 9mm Hi-cap crunchinclicker craze of the 80's!

BCB
03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
You're right Old School. Acme, Texan, Savage, Herters, Mec; they all copied each when things were hot and business was booming. Just like the 1911 craze going on now and the past 10-12 yrs?

And the 9mm Hi-cap crunchinclicker craze of the 80's!

I agree with the Herters probably being the “same” or very similar. Even though the frames might not look exactly the same, the tools might be the same…

All well and good, but in all reality, there is no way to know unless one actually sees the parts…

I have asked questions to sellers on eBay—no reply at all. They all just want to sell and let the buyer beware…

I have seen MEC bushings for sale—I asked for diameters and lengths of the bushings—no reply at all…

So, one must be very careful or one will own ½ dozen presses and none will work…

Kind of like the Camaro/Firebird…Oldsmobile/Buick…etc. of the muscle car era. Many parts of the body and the engines were interchangeable, but one had to know which ones…

I do have an e-mail question out right now to one person who claims to have MEC bushings—we shall see if he replies back…

Still, thanks to all who made comments and suggestions…

BCB