PDA

View Full Version : GP-100 Facts--or how I broke my gun

Ickisrulz
02-25-2014, 01:19 PM
1. Although GP-100s and SP-101s are similar in the way they disassemble, they are not 100% alike. This is especially true when removing the cylinder.

2. Hitting the cylinder with a block of wood is not the correct way to remove it from the crane (even if you think it is stuck).

3. The cost to ship a GP-100 to Ruger for repair from Shawnee OK is $100.

4. Turn around time is less 2 weeks.

I feel a bit foolish and I truly don't break my stuff routinely. Ruger took very good care of me though and didn't charge me anything for the repair or return shipping.

Bullshop Junior
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
That was decent of them. I've found striking with wood to be bad on any gun.

Walter Laich
02-25-2014, 01:42 PM
I have also ruled out 5 lb hand sledge hammers and small to medium crow bars

bhn22
02-25-2014, 04:08 PM
Not crow bars too? :grin:

btroj
02-25-2014, 06:44 PM
At what point in any disassembly instructions did it mention large blocks of wood and assault?

I find the GP100 to be easy to tear down completely. Mine gets it at least annually.

Be nice to your guns, don't assault them.

Bullshop Junior
02-25-2014, 06:48 PM
How about assault rifles? Can we beat them with blocks or wood?

btroj
02-25-2014, 06:58 PM
No, they are assault rifles, that would make them assaulted rifles.

bigted
02-25-2014, 07:13 PM
I have seen those INSULT rifles used on wood ... bone ... car doors ... just about anything you can think of ... also seen em had all these things used on them for one reason or another.

as a cat mechanic ... I can attest to the fact that few things cant be taken apart with the above mentioned BFH's and heavy and long BAR's . cant always get it back together but they surely are apart.

may have to re assess how to work on my pistols and revolvers. glad Ruger treated you rite.

Ickisrulz
02-25-2014, 07:15 PM
At what point in any disassembly instructions did it mention large blocks of wood and assault?

I find the GP100 to be easy to tear down completely. Mine gets it at least annually.

Be nice to your guns, don't assault them.

Actually in my GP-100 manual it does not show how to remove the cylinder from the crane. I started disassembling the GP-100 like I had done my SP-101 lots of times. When the cylinder in the GP wouldn't come off, I figured it was stuck. I hit it a couple times with the force I felt was needed to unstick it. Now, when that didn't work I used Youtube help and saw the right way to do it. Live and learn.

btroj
02-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Ouch. Yeah, pull the trigger assembly and the crane comes right out.

That sucks.

KLR
02-25-2014, 08:55 PM
That stinks, but thanks for sharing. You may have saved someone else from the same fate.

William Yanda
02-25-2014, 09:05 PM
How about assault rifles? Can we beat them with blocks or wood?

You will have my Drill Sgt turning in his grave.

btroj
02-25-2014, 09:20 PM
Do you have the handy little tool from Brownells for removing the screw to take apart the cylinder Innerds? Very handy.

Ickisrulz
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Do you have the handy little tool from Brownells for removing the screw to take apart the cylinder Innerds? Very handy.
I do not. Should I have one?

btroj
02-25-2014, 09:47 PM
I like it. It is a special screwdriver for removing a screw that holds the guts for the ejector star together. I just like being able to take it all down, clean it up, and relube on assembly.

GP100man
02-25-2014, 09:48 PM
No , I clean the cyl/crane asm by flushing it with brakleen ,then blowing it all out with compressed air .

In this area I like to use rem oil, it sorta dries & does`nt make a stiky goo on the brgs.

It takes 3 hands to reassemble the cyl/crane assembly anyways.

Beagle333
02-25-2014, 10:15 PM
+1 for RemOil.
It is the magic that makes gun maintenance easier.
My GP100 seems to love it. :-D

RED333
02-25-2014, 10:32 PM
So the lead hammer is a no I guess?

TXGunNut
02-25-2014, 11:03 PM
I keep my large wood blocks out with my BFH and blue tip wrench, I can mess up enough guns using the correct tools.

btroj
02-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Ah GP100man, it isn't that hard to get back together. I can do it pretty easily now, lots of practice.

DRNurse1
02-25-2014, 11:07 PM
No, they are assault rifles, that would make them assaulted rifles.

Hmmm... peppering our responses with humor...I suppose I will have to work on that.

btroj
02-25-2014, 11:11 PM
No, that would be a salted rifle. Can't you sea that?

tazman
02-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Seems like we need to SPICE up the conversation.

Lonegun1894
02-26-2014, 03:40 AM
I salted my rifle once, but it wasn't a planned salting. Who ever knew that a wave that small could tip a kayak THAT easy when I was paying attention to trying to reel in a fish instead of the water too. Yeah, don't ask about why I had it with me while fishing, but let's just call it a habit that should be understood in this little circle of friends here. All I can say about salted rifles, is flush with plenty of fresh water, dry, and oil. Oh yeah, and Thank GOD for slings!!! If it hadn't been for the sling, my rifle would still be marinating instead of getting lightly salted.

meister mash
02-26-2014, 08:36 AM
I have seen those INSULT rifles used on wood ... bone ... car doors ... just about anything you can think of ... also seen em had all these things used on them for one reason or another.

as a cat mechanic ... I can attest to the fact that few things cant be taken apart with the above mentioned BFH's and heavy and long BAR's . cant always get it back together but they surely are apart.

may have to re assess how to work on my pistols and revolvers. glad Ruger treated you rite.
You poor poor sonofagun. I'm an equipment breaker so find myself qualified to make this statement.
um op, why the anger issues? Your poor gp100 didn't really mean those things it said about you. :wink:

jonp
02-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Congrats. Cant seem to recall hearing of anyone breaking a gp100 and you had to beat on it with a 2x4 to get it done.
when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Next time if something gunny dosnt come apart i mite try soaking it in Kroil for a couple of days first before whanging it

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-26-2014, 10:24 PM
....t?

btroj
02-26-2014, 11:28 PM
Looking at the manuals online I don't see major differences in disassembly.

Ickisrulz
02-26-2014, 11:41 PM
I don't have a gp, by do have a sp and security six ... How is the gp different?

The cylinder slides off the SP's crane once it is removed from the frame. On the GP you have to push in on a couple pins and remove a little doohickey being careful not to lose a spring. Then the cylinder slides off the crane. It is not hard, you just have to know how to do it.

btroj
02-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Ok, so the problem was removing the cylinders rom the crane, not the crane from the frame.

This all must be why I google for disassembly instructions.

Bzcraig
02-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Ah GP100man, it isn't that hard to get back together. I can do it pretty easily now, lots of practice.

I really like taking stuff apart but sometimes find it difficult to get back together. I also noticed the statement of needing 3 hands to put it back together. Mind posting a video for us who have slowly learned that watching someone do it is immensely helpful?

btroj
02-27-2014, 07:58 AM
I don't have a video camera to use. I will tell you my "secret", I use small Allen wrenches to push in the plungers and use home grease on the parts that move around too much. Lots of grease, it keeps little pieces stuck in place pretty well.

Get the little part that locks the front of the cylinder close to,where it needs to be an use a small nail as a slave pin to hold it in place. Then use the Allen wrenches to push in the plunger so the real pin can be inserted. I also use the bench to help hold one plunger in by pressing that wrench down.

Ickisrulz
02-27-2014, 09:02 AM
I really like taking stuff apart but sometimes find it difficult to get back together. I also noticed the statement of needing 3 hands to put it back together. Mind posting a video for us who have slowly learned that watching someone do it is immensely helpful?

This video is one of the better ones. It uses a SRH, but the GP is the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwrSW2wbdhY

Rio Grande
02-27-2014, 09:36 AM
There were two peanuts walking down the strasse, one was a salted.

freebullet
02-27-2014, 10:00 PM
I would never beat up my gp100, that'd be like hittnin a women. Just something I'm not gunna do. I'm glad ruger got you fixed up.

I'm curious why the shipping was so high and what parts you broke?

clyde-the-pointer
02-27-2014, 10:34 PM
And Ruger covered this n/c? Awesome C.S.

Ickisrulz
02-28-2014, 11:40 AM
I would never beat up my gp100, that'd be like hittnin a women. Just something I'm not gunna do. I'm glad ruger got you fixed up.

I'm curious why the shipping was so high and what parts you broke?

For whatever reason guns traveling by FedEx or UPS from owners have to go overnight. Coming back from the manufacturer they go 2 day. Therefore, it costs a lot. Then if you want insurance, that's $10 more.

The part of the crane that the cylinder slides onto is what I damaged. It was gouged when I pulled it out. I think I bent the thing then I whacked it and then had to force it out causing the gouges. I don't know what Ruger did to repair it. I'm guessing replace that piece, but I haven't disassembled it yet.

Ickisrulz
02-28-2014, 11:42 AM
And Ruger covered this n/c? Awesome C.S.

I am happy, but not surprised. Ruger is a good company and will get more of my business.

robertbank
02-28-2014, 12:18 PM
I think more guns have been ruined by either the owners trying to improve them or just trying to clean them. This is one reason why, I having the mechanical ability of a slug, refrain from attempting anything requiring disassemble that involves anything more than a flat screwdriver. My wife locked up my hammer and drill years ago.

Take Care

Bob

Pb2au
02-28-2014, 12:47 PM
This is what I normally use to work on my guns.