PDA

View Full Version : supper last night

Lloyd Smale
02-25-2014, 07:45 AM
venison subs. I made a batch of homemade french bread and fried up some thin cut venison, onion, mushroom and peppers in real butter. Put in on that bread with a pile of cheddar and mozzerala cheese. Meal fit for a king. Nice thing too is you dont need to use back straps. Take frozen or semi frozen piece of shoulder or hind quarter meat and use a razon knife to slice it real thin throw all the pieces in a bowl and add some garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of meat tenderizer and montreal steak seasoning in the morning and let it sit all day till your ready to fry it. So tender it will about melt in your mouth. Better then any philly steak sandwich ive had.

Bulldogger
02-25-2014, 10:15 AM
No pictures, didn't happen

Changeling
02-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Hi Lloyd, I tried this last night exactly as you prescribed almost, man this beats Philly cheese steak (witch I dearly love), I couldn't wait overnight, LOL. Nextime I will follow your instructions to the letter!!
I didn't have the cheddar, only the mozzerala. The mozzerala was awesome (never had on a Philly)!
I used Hind quarter (friend gave me) thinly sliced .
I just used onions, didn't have onion powder.
I used hogie rolls ( had some in the freezer from Costco).

I did everything up like you said. Put the thin venison in a VERY hot Wagner cast pan and seared the heck out of it, put the cheese on top of the pile of venison for about a minute, slapped all that (sauteed), peppers/onions/mushrooms into a hogie roll with some mayonaise and a spoon of hot pepper's. It was awesome Lloyd.

Thanks very much for posting this I really do appreciate it.

PS. That Mozzerala cheese is the real "kicker" for this Hogie, Never heard of it being used before, AWESOME.

One doesn't need a picture to understand how a "Fabulious" culinary creation is put toghether!

venison subs. I made a batch of homemade french bread and fried up some thin cut venison, onion, mushroom and peppers in real butter. Put in on that bread with a pile of cheddar and mozzerala cheese. Meal fit for a king. Nice thing too is you dont need to use back straps. Take frozen or semi frozen piece of shoulder or hind quarter meat and use a razon knife to slice it real thin throw all the pieces in a bowl and add some garlic powder, onion powder and a bit of meat tenderizer and montreal steak seasoning in the morning and let it sit all day till your ready to fry it. So tender it will about melt in your mouth. Better then any philly steak sandwich ive had.

Lloyd Smale
02-26-2014, 06:55 AM
glad you liked it. Its one of if not the most favorite way we eat venison in my house. I dont even put up meat for roasts, steaks, cube steaks, burger ext until ive got what i feel is enough blocks of meat cut to the size i use for subs. Only thing thats kept as is till thats done are the back straps and ive run out of sub meat and used back straps for it. Actually if you dont have cheddar cheese the fake slices of american arent to bad on it either. I watched one of those shows where they go around the country eating things and a good many cheese steak places just used cheese wiz.

OBIII
02-26-2014, 10:49 AM
There are 2 schools of thought on Philly Cheesesteaks. One is American cheese, the other is Cheeze Whiz. The Wizzers will tell you in no uncertain terms that using anything else is blasphemy and NOT a cheesesteak. :)

OB

6bg6ga
02-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Well Lloyd you surprise me being able to bake bread also. I've enjoyed your post on making sausage and such and now these wonderful sandwiches. Makes my mouth water just thinking about diving into one of those delights.

Lloyd Smale
02-26-2014, 05:51 PM
It suprises my wife too 6bg6ga. Amazing what you can learn to do on the internet when the temps never get about zero outside.;) For another good twist on it add a bunch of sliced pepperoni.

The Dove
02-26-2014, 07:09 PM

Amen BD

The Dove

Changeling
02-26-2014, 07:43 PM
It suprises my wife too 6bg6ga. Amazing what you can learn to do on the internet when the temps never get about zero outside.;) For another good twist on it add a bunch of sliced pepperoni.

Hi Lloyd, I'll pass on the peperonni, I save that for my pizza. However, that mozzeralla (SP) cheese was a terrific addition to YOUR version of a great sub. It's always interesting when someone has the gumption and ability to do something different, that's how great things come to be.
I doubt seriously if venison is used in the original recipe either or any other kind of meat (makes me start thinking), of cource if they did then it wouldn't be a PCS would it? Sinse your creation uses venison and mozzeralla/chedder cheese, it is definitely NEW and unique.
I'll stick with your version Lloyd, you seem to know what you are doing more than anyone else.
That sub you created is absolutely AWESOME.

Take care my friend.

PS. I certainly will never be using that wiz stuff again, its time has come and gone in my opinion, extradinarly bad for ones health. Your idea of the mozzeralla/chedder has buried it, great job.

6bg6ga
02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Is there a cooking section here in the forum?

DougGuy
02-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Is there a cooking section here in the forum?

Yep, you're in it right now..

Lloyd, that sounds GOOD man, will have to try it!

Shiloh
03-01-2014, 09:36 PM

+1

Shiloj

Reg
03-02-2014, 06:48 AM
What ever happened to the cook book someone here was working on ?
This sandwich should be put on top of the list.
PERFECTO !!

smokeywolf
03-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Mr.s smokeywolf used to make homemade pizza with venison sausage and pepperoni.

6bg6ga
03-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Yep, you're in it right now..

Lloyd, that sounds GOOD man, will have to try it!

I have the perfect name Bullets or Bologna

Dale in Louisiana
03-02-2014, 01:13 PM
What ever happened to the cook book someone here was working on ?
This sandwich should be put on top of the list.
PERFECTO !!

I was working on one with recipes from my blog (http://mostlycajun.com). It's a project, and like anyone else with too many projects, I pushed it onto a back burner.

dale in Louisiana

Lloyd Smale
03-03-2014, 07:55 AM
we had home made pizza last night with my venison iltalian sausage on it. Ive never made peperoni though. that came from the store. What i made one night that was pretty good was cheeseburger pizza. Took a crust and put pizza sause on it and then shredded some canned venison over it added mushroom and onion and peppers and topped it with cheddar cheese. I thought it was pretty good, the wife thought it was great.
Mr.s smokeywolf used to make homemade pizza with venison sausage and pepperoni.

JimA
03-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Man thinking about those subs are makin' me hungry. I'm gonna have to try that.