PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Star sizer sell for more than a Magma does?

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Having watched the prices of the Star and Magma sizers on ebay for the last several years it is looking like there is a trend that shows the cost of a used Star sometimes exceeds the cost of a new Magma unit. I have both Star and Magma and can see no difference with the exception of the color. The Star is a dark blue and the Magma is simply as cast. Both work the same. Both feel the same when your sizing. Is it strictly the color or the nostalgia of purchasing something that might be 40+ years old?

I recently saw an ad for a used Star with a starting price of $350.00 which exceeds the cost of a new Magma at $325.00

btroj
02-25-2014, 08:06 AM
People don't understand the Magma is the same?

People love "vintage" items?

Stupidity?

Mine was bought new from magma and does all I need it to do. Name and color mean nothing to me.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 08:11 AM
I was lucky and bought a Star that no one was bidding on. I offered the seller $200 shipped and bought it. I cleaned 30+ year old dried lube from the inside of the cylinder and piston area by using two sticks of bullet lube and the pressure of the turn screw. It came out clean as a whistle. I then stripped the paint and re-did it.

Is there any difference in the construction? Alloy?

dragon813gt
02-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Stupidity or lack of knowledge. Since this is the internet and you can find all the info you want I lean more towards stupidity. Some people need it now. W/ Magma usually have a few week wait some people will pay a premium to get it now.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 08:41 AM
I've heard rummors to the effect that there is a difference in the base materials between the Star and the Magma. Just got done checking the Magma and it is aluminum alloy just the same as my Star is. The difference is the Magma is a rough sand casting and the Star is a smoother casting. Note* My Star is about a 1950 vintage model without the large nut on the lube tube. I cannot come out and say that all models of the Star are aluminum but the model I own is.

I realize there are some primitive possibly conception models that may or may not be aluminum in construction.

HATCH
02-25-2014, 09:18 AM
A new star sizer from Magma doesn't come with a sizing die.
A sizing die from Magma is $50.
So if you wanted to buy a Star sizer from Magma you are gonna pay $325.00 plus shipping.
There is currently like a 3 or 4 month wait on them (or there was)
So people pay more to get it NOW then later.

Example, I just got 8 lbs of AA1680 for $240 out the door. Yeah they a lot more then powder valley inc sells it for but its in my hands now..

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 09:24 AM
Hatch your absolutely correct. The Magma for $325.00 plus shipping doesn't come with a sizing die. The die must be purchased seperately from them or Lathesmith. I believe unless they have changed things the Magma still comes with a punch of your choice for the $325.00

So people will pay more for an older Star just to get it in their hands and avoid the wait.

Have you noticed any difference in quality? construction? that would account for the run on the Stars?

enfieldphile
02-25-2014, 09:46 AM
I called Magma on Friday, February 7, 2014 it shipped Monday, February 10, 2014.

That's quick enough for me! ;) No, I don't have a friend working for Magma.

There is currently like a 3 or 4 month wait on them (or there was)
So people pay more to get it NOW then later.

btroj
02-25-2014, 09:48 AM
What makes you think there is a logical reason for a "run" on older Star sizers?

I think it has as much to do with new guys hearing the name Star and not looking to see they are made by Magma these days.

Why would a run on sizers be any different from a run on anything else shooting related?

Emotion is often a cause more so than logic.

HATCH
02-25-2014, 09:49 AM
A star sizer is $275, the sizing die is $50

Thats great that they are caught up. I know about 4 months ago there was a back log as I was gonna buy a second one but changed my mind when they told me how long.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
I called Magma on Friday, February 7, 2014 it shipped Monday, February 10, 2014.

That's quick enough for me! ;) No, I don't have a friend working for Magma.

This is kinda what I am hearing. They seem to have caught up with the demand.

I have a brother living in Arizona not to far from Magma and he has commented that obtaining a mold or part is extremely easy. He walked in told them what he wanted for molds and walked out with them...no wait time.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 09:56 AM
I believe you have answered my question. Emotion must be the reason you see a run on Stars. The name Star stands out more than the newer "Magma Name" does.

kayak1
02-25-2014, 11:12 AM
I read on the forum that Magma now has star's in stock. I don't know about old ones but the new ones are nice. I wouldn't pay the ebay prices so I had to wait ~3 months for mine. Since I received my star I haven't used my 450.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 02:18 PM
I read on the forum that Magma now has star's in stock. I don't know about old ones but the new ones are nice. I wouldn't pay the ebay prices so I had to wait ~3 months for mine. Since I received my star I haven't used my 450.

Magma bought out the Star product patents and rights years ago. Recently Magma started calling the Magma sizer a "Magma Star sizer" same machine as the Magma sizer which is nothing but a newer version of the older Star. Main diference is no color and a sand cast base instead of the smoother older casting.

357maximum
02-25-2014, 05:05 PM
I actively sought an older STAR unit, I did not want no O-RINGS to contend with....could not be happier with my SanDiego unit..."VINTAGE" had nothing to do with it....was all about the o-rings for me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-25-2014, 05:26 PM
Some people are too lazy to do the research.
Buying on ebay is easy and fun.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 06:03 PM
I actively sought an older STAR unit, I did not want no O-RINGS to contend with....could not be happier with my SanDiego unit..."VINTAGE" had nothing to do with it....was all about the o-rings for me.

What O-Rings are you talking about? The S140 Die "O" Rings?

If so I don't run them on my Magma and I have no leakage problems.

ffries61
02-25-2014, 06:28 PM
A star sizer is $275, the sizing die is $50

Thats great that they are caught up. I know about 4 months ago there was a back log as I was gonna buy a second one but changed my mind when they told me how long.

Price is up to $325 now

Jon K
02-25-2014, 07:27 PM
What O-Rings are you talking about?

That is the major difference between the Star & Magma. There are a few other differences but minor, mostly cosmetic.

I have both, and preference leans toward Star.

Jon

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
That is the major difference between the Star & Magma. There are a few other differences but minor, mostly cosmetic.

I have both, and preference leans toward Star.

Jon

I have both and maybe I mentioned this before. They both have the same feel and they both work the same. The Magma will also work without the two pain in the butt "O"-rings because after the first sizing die removal I didn't replace the shreaded "O"-rings and like I said there is no leakage. Maybe its the color you like the best. I'm not a betting person but I do believe that if you were blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Having bullet feeders on both of mine I have tried the blindfold trick and was unable to pick which one was the Star.

6bg6ga
02-26-2014, 09:07 AM
There is another slight difference and that is the Star has a die locking screw and the Magma doesn't. Is it needed? No, its not. I keep the 1/4-20 screw in place ONLY to be sure there is no lube that is able to come out and make a mess. There is rumor of a difference in handle length and after measuring both of my handles I can see that the older Star is 3/8'' of an inch longer depending on how much your able to pull on the aged handle.

357maximum
02-26-2014, 04:26 PM
....being the ignorant being that I be, I did not know one could run the magma without the o-rings.....I just kept hearing about torn rubbers and I KNOW that is not a good thing.

6bg6ga
02-26-2014, 08:22 PM
....being the ignorant being that I be, I did not know one could run the magma without the o-rings.....I just kept hearing about torn rubbers and I KNOW that is not a good thing.

I have had good luck running my Magma without "O"-rings as I tore up the first set when I removed the first die. The die fit very tight (Lathesmith die) and I figured I would try it. The result is it works fine.... no leakage. I have used both 50/50 lube and very hard red lube and neither leak. One naturally assumes since there is an "O" -ring one must be used. The bore seems to be as tight as the Star I own. I figure its worth a try and due to manufacturing tolerances it either will or will not work.

enfieldphile
02-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Enfieldphile steps into the confessional...

Ahem! Heeding the instructions, I pre-lubed the outside of the lathesmith die w/ "Snow Seal" (a very slippery soft wax) to insure it would not tear up the O rings as I first inserted the die into the Magma-Star. I was able to press the die home under firm thumb pressure. After that session, I totally made the mistake of trying to remove the die with the unit still warm from the Magma heater (it was shut off) The Lyman Orange (a hard lube) oozed out. The top O ring tore up! The bottom O ring was fine. Apparently, the soft lube caused a hydraulic lock and the top rubber O ring tore. :oops: Red-faced, I went to Harbor Freight the next day (Harbor Freight is good for some stuff) and bought a box of O rings. I replaced the O ring. After that, I learned to let the unit cool before removing a die, ergo: no more torn up O rings! 8-)

[QUOTE=6bg6ga;2654316. The Magma will also work without the two pain in the butt "O"-rings because after the first sizing die removal I didn't replace the shreaded "O"-rings and like I said there is no leakage. [/QUOTE]

357maximum
02-28-2014, 01:19 AM
One naturally assumes since there is an "O" -ring one must be used. .

That's the ASSUMption I made....why would you use an o-ring unless you planned on manufacturing SLOP...is where my brain went......so I bought a freshly rebuilt old one to totally eliminate the gamble I guess....it worked and I am happy...so I call it a success.

Jon K
02-28-2014, 03:12 AM
I have both and maybe I mentioned this before. They both have the same feel and they both work the same. The Magma will also work without the two pain in the butt "O"-rings because after the first sizing die removal I didn't replace the shreaded "O"-rings and like I said there is no leakage. Maybe its the color you like the best. I'm not a betting person but I do believe that if you were blindfolded you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Having bullet feeders on both of mine I have tried the blindfold trick and was unable to pick which one was the Star.

Nah..I don't need a blind fold, cause they're both blue, and I threw the o-ring in the trash, when I first got it.

The Star seems to be smoother(lube pump), and easier to change dies & punches. I had a 3rd machine which was a Magma, but it got sold.

Lube still leaks past the die lock screw under pressure depending on lube & heat.

These are not complaints only minor differences...cause for one to sell better than the other, NO, only the buyer can make that decision.

Jon