PDA

View Full Version : 686SSR vs. 27 or 28

warf73
02-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Where does the 686SSR rank in the realm of long lasting pistols? I've been looking high and low for a nice priced model 27 or 28 with 4" barrel, but keep tripping across the SSR. I can’t find a straight answer on the net were this 686SSR fits in. Read were it will outlast a 27or 28 because it was built for comp shooting and they weren’t. But then read were the 27or 28 were basically 41mag frames with 357 holes put in it instead of 410 holes.
I have read the sticky 75k threw my 27 and this was my inspiration in purchasing a 27 or 28.

Pistol will be used for shooting targets from 3 yards to 25 yards (some squirrel hunting) using 357mag brass, 158gr SWC (WW cut with pure) with a charge of Herco or Red Dot with Winchester SSP primer lighting it up. Looking at FPS of 950~1100 any were in between, the gun will tell me what it likes because accuracy is king.

I've not seen a 27 or 28 in the same place as the 686SSR so I can heads compare them, so this is where I rely on you all.

Thanks Warf

bobthenailer
02-25-2014, 08:43 AM
After having over 12 S&W K, L and N frame revolvers chamberd in 357 mag over the years my favorite frame size is the L frame 686 in any model.
Now if you are shootin games where a 8 shot revolver is prefered with full moon clips for speed reloads then the 8 shot 627 would be my choice !
as far as longevity ! IMO a L & N frame would last the longest , with the k frame being the weakest . i personaly after many years of shooting alot of rounds from revolvers have never worn out or replaced anything on a S&W 357 mag revolver but most of my loads are in the 800 to 1,000 fps range with 158 to 180 gr cast boolets.

bhn22
02-25-2014, 09:52 AM
The L frame was the first frame designed specifically for long term full power 357 mag use. I have one and also a Ruger GP100, which is probably the more durable of the two. The N frame guns are very durable in 357 mag, but not so much in larger calibers. My 686 is about ready for a new hand now, mostly because I'm addicted to DA revolver shooting. Anyway, the L frame & GP have the advantage over the N frames of a longer cylinder, this allows use of longer, heavyweight bullets, and allows more latitude in load development. I'd take an l frame over an N frame any day, unless you have a need for an 8 shot revolver, then you've stuck with that short cylinder. I'd take a GP100 over an L frame, after living with one of each for over 20 years. Either is capable of being tuned to a high degree of refinement by a qualified gunsmith.

dilly
02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
If you think a GP-100 is in the running, have you seen the match champion?

Jtarm
03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
You're not likely to wear out either. I agree with bob, go with the 8-shot 627, unless you need to carry concealed. A new 627 will set you back, little, if any, more money than a M-27 in 80%+ condition.

The 686 SSR is intended for IDPA stock service revolver division. For some unknown reason, IDPA limits SSR to 6-shot, even though the 686+ should be the same size. That puts an extra, artificial handicap on revolver shooters, IMO.

The only difference I notice between the N and K/L frames is the the larger frame puts the sights up a bit higher. Also, it puts the axis of the bore higher, which presumably increases muzzle flip. I don't own an N-frame .357, so I can't say if it's true or how much.

If someone can show me objective, scientifically-controlled tests showing conclusively the GP100 is more durable than a 686, I will gladly concede the argument.

I personally think it's a myth created by Ruger advertising and assumptions that the solid, thicker frame is more durable. S&W frames don't have to be as thick since they're forged instead, not cast.

When it comes to DA revolvers, Gimme an S&W. BTW, I own several Rugers, including a Redhawk that I love. But I regard it as an SA since the DA trigger is impossible.

pmer
03-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Warf73 - Pistol will be used for shooting targets from 3 yards to 25 yards (some squirrel hunting) using 357mag brass, 158gr SWC (WW cut with pure) with a charge of Herco or Red Dot with Winchester SSP primer lighting it up. Looking at FPS of 950~1100 any were in between, the gun will tell me what it likes because accuracy is king. - Warf73

My Model 19 Smithy would shoot this load for many moons.

WARD O
03-05-2014, 03:11 PM
S&W N frames use a short cylinder which may limit seating length on certain long bullets - ie 358429 which cannot be seated to crimp groove and still fit in the cylinder. S&W K frame is considered a little on the light side for heavy use of heavy loads - I put an awful lot of them through my first M19 many years ago but you will notice the differnece. S&W L frame was pretty much designed around the cartridge to offer exactly what the other two did not. Personally, I think the L frame Smith is the best 357 you can buy! Pick the version you prefer and have at it!

ward

warf73
03-07-2014, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys I'm still looking, the 627 looks nice (pictures) and all the ones I've seen don't have the trigger lock.

lancem
03-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Warf73 - Pistol will be used for shooting targets from 3 yards to 25 yards (some squirrel hunting) using 357mag brass, 158gr SWC (WW cut with pure) with a charge of Herco or Red Dot with Winchester SSP primer lighting it up. Looking at FPS of 950~1100 any were in between, the gun will tell me what it likes because accuracy is king. - Warf73

My Model 19 Smithy would shoot this load for many moons.

I was thinking the same thing, I've got a 6" Mod 19 that has had probably 15-20K of that type of load through it doing just that kind of shooting and it's still running just fine.

357Mag
03-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Warf -

Howdy !

Take a good look & try-out the fit of each revolver's grip " frame ". " K s" & " Ls" have the same grip and length of pull. The "N" is a larger gun.

Also, try each out for percieved wt in hand ( heft, sturdiness ). Having a decent-wt .357Mag helps to mitigate whatever amount pf recoil your loads produce.

You might also be taking a look @ whether you want just a 6shot, or a 7; or even an 8-shot ? That will narrow things down, if you go for the 7 or 8 shot capability.

With regards,
357Mag

captaint
03-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Warf - Yes the Model 27 has a shorter cylinder. So seat the 358429's just over the drive band. The N frame Smiths can't be beat. Get yourself a 27-2 and be happy - for a very long time. Mike

308w
03-07-2014, 04:33 PM
With the loads you are talking about shooting, longevity is a moot point, you prob could not wear one out if you tried, so to me it comes down to other things. If the 8 shot capacity is an issue you only have one choice the n frame.
For me it comes down to fit. I have had and still have some n frame 44's, but I have small hands, for a man,and a n frame while manageable in single action, for me, I will never be able to shoot a n frame as good as I can a l or k frame because they just fit my hand so much better. The best double action shooting I have ever done was with my duty l frame 686 and it wasn't a accuracy thing they will all outshoot me, it was a fit thing, the k or l grip and trigger reach just fits me better, they are the same, the grip I mean. The round butt n's are closer but still don't fit me as good as a k or L.

I said all that to say this I'd get the 686, put some wolf springs in it and shoot the piss out of it, but thats just me.

warf73
03-11-2014, 07:08 AM
Working a deal on a 627 Pro, will see were it goes in the next few days.

warf73
03-13-2014, 01:28 AM
Deal went threw a 627Pro is heading to my FFL, should have it in hand by Saturday.

Is there anything to watch for on this Smith?

Been doing alot of reading on S&W forum and not read much bad about it but maybe someone here has had an issue that I don't know of.