PDA

View Full Version : Brass turned to copper color...any damage?

lead4me
02-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Well I stuck a load of 45ACP brass in my tumbler (approx 500) SS & water/LS & dish soap. My boy was supposed to let them tumble for a few hours and then pull an rinse. He did manage to shut it off, then they soaked for about 24 hours before I found them. The brass has turned a nice copper color I ran them in some walnut media and they still have the tint on them. Just wondering if somehow that would weaken the brass? It's not a lot of brass but really don't want to have to toss em. Any thoughts? Thanks guys

WallyM3
02-25-2014, 12:37 AM
A complete do-over should get you back to brass colored brass.

Dissimilar metals in a citric acid solution will produce odd looking results.

fguffey
02-25-2014, 01:03 AM
He did manage to shut it off, then they soaked for about 24 hours before I found them.

I use vinegar for the very worst of cases for a maximum of 15 minutes. Leaving the cases for 24 hours will turn the cases orange. I do not make it a habit, using vinegar on the worst of cases saves days of tumbling.

F. Guffey

WallyM3
02-25-2014, 06:57 AM
It won't hurt to leave cases in citric acid. Acetic acid behaves differently. The problem the OP encountered is that there were two entirely different alloys in the solution, one copper, the other steel/nickel/chromium.

Bayou52
02-25-2014, 09:04 AM
I understand that leaving brass exposed to either too much Lemi-Shine or exposed for too long a period, like what happened in the case of the OP, will actuall darken and discolor the brass. It should not weaken the brass, however.

A do-over tumble in SS media should remove the discoloration.

lead4me
02-25-2014, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys, I did not think it could hurt them just wanted to be sure. Their were a handful of nickle cases mixed in with the batch those turned black. Well back to loading up for the 1911. This cold winter has gave me a lot of time for casting and loading. Should have plenty for practice when the weather finely breaks.

WallyM3
02-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Atmospheric oxidation tends towards blackish or generally "tarnished" color. Red, typically "brick" red is copper leeching out of the alloy. No harm done in this case, IMO. Both conditions should polish out using your favorite method.