PDA

View Full Version : Info for new casters

Clinton
02-24-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm getting ready to take the plunge and start casting my own bullets, but in the meantime I've been reading all I can find about casting so to avoid as many early mistakes as possible. I ran into a quick little guide somewhere and bookmarked it and then forgot I had it. I thought I had found it on this site but now I'm guessing not.

I thought maybe others who are looking to get into casting might find it useful.
http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/casting.html

jonp
02-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Nice read. Thanks

Walter Laich
02-24-2014, 11:38 PM
remember that casting books, the real kind with paper and ink, are a great source of casting info. I like the Lyman myself

kawasakifreak77
02-25-2014, 04:05 AM
This is great. Thanks!

tomme boy
02-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Guys, one thing that can help out a new caster on this forum is to fill out your profile. When others see where you are from, they seem to speak up more. Plus they may be really close and be able to come over and help you out.

Clinton
02-25-2014, 07:40 AM
remember that casting books, the real kind with paper and ink, are a great source of casting info. I like the Lyman myself

Yes someone recommended that manual to me and I will be purchasing it, but in the meantime I'm digesting all else I find relevant.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Guys, one thing that can help out a new caster on this forum is to fill out your profile. When others see where you are from, they seem to speak up more. Plus they may be really close and be able to come over and help you out.

That is a good point. Make new friends and make sure they bring a 12 pack.. ....just kidding

newmexicocrawler
02-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Lots of reading here.....Google searches and YouTube got me going and solved all my problems so far.

bangerjim
02-25-2014, 12:46 PM
That article is a good example of how someone can start out very cheap. Many do.

I personally started out buying new all the bottom pour pots, tools, molds, etc I needed to learn the processes the right way the first time. But that depends on the health of your money trees! :grin: The mold collection grows every year, just like a fungus!!!!!!!!!

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is the best collection of data and load info you can find. I use it and Modern Reloading by Lee. Get them both! Between the two, you have ~90% of the data you need to load our friendly little lead cast buddies. Lee also has jacketed info.

Whatever path you pick, you will have fun. Welcome to our habit!

bangerjim:guntootsmiley: