PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat is tough!

TheDoctor
02-24-2014, 09:06 PM
ESPC'd some 9mm, HF red, 400 degrees, 15 minutes. Had some residue inside the sizing die that got on the boolits when sizing. Threw them in a ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes! Then tossed them back into the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes to dry. Smashed one, and no flakes! Figured the ultrasonic would have done SOMETHING to the coating.

garym1a2
02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
It makes you want to buy a big oven and start painting other types of things with it. My truck wheels and bumpers would look great powder coated.

ESPC'd some 9mm, HF red, 400 degrees, 15 minutes. Had some residue inside the sizing die that got on the boolits when sizing. Threw them in a ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes! Then tossed them back into the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes to dry. Smashed one, and no flakes! Figured the ultrasonic would have done SOMETHING to the coating.

Walter Laich
02-25-2014, 01:39 PM
my cheapo toaster oven is only big enough for bullets
Truck wheels will have to wait in my case

xacex
02-25-2014, 02:11 PM
my cheapo toaster oven is only big enough for bullets
Truck wheels will have to wait in my case

Have the same problem. That teflon black would work good for wheels on the mud rig.

catman81056
02-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Have the same problem. That teflon black would work good for wheels on the mud rig.

It does pretty good on Boolits also..

bangerjim
02-25-2014, 07:34 PM
This community is just learning the true beauty and toughness of baked-on powder coatings. Many industries have used it for many years for weather and wear resistance. The after-market transportation market uses tons of this powder for all kinds of things. My pool patio furniture is powder coated and will never rust or oxidize. I use it on my lathe tool post holders I have made. Better than bluing or paint! No chipping or peeling even with exposed to cutting oils and flying hot metal chips for extended periods of time.

Good stuff!

bangerjim

mdi
02-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Yep, powder coating is a durable, mostly good looking finish. When it first became popular with car nuts in So. CA, powder coating shops sprang up all around. I believe powder coating in an industrial application is easier and cleaner than standard painting.

fattires
02-28-2014, 10:21 PM
It really surprised me how well this stuff holds up, here is a boolit I fired this afternoon, went about a foot into frozen dirt then lodged in a 2 inch diameter limb that was buried in the backstop.

starmac
03-04-2014, 03:25 PM
It makes you want to buy a big oven and start painting other types of things with it. My truck wheels and bumpers would look great powder coated.

My son has a 9 foot oven and powder coats fuel tanks, fenders, headache racks, etc for semi trucks. We are running these on the haul road and they are holding up great. We have always had to shield the fuel tanks etc or the gravel would eat through the aluminum in very short order before we started powder coating components.
He is also powder coating the aluminum semi wheels and they are holding up great. Some guys have even been having him do a clear powder coat on the aluminum, NO MORE POLISHING. lol
I left some pc'ed boolits outside all winter for a test in cold weather. We have had a mild winter and 40 below is the coldest I have been able to smash test any, but the pc held up at 40 below fine.

Rushthezeppelin
03-21-2014, 02:18 AM
Just to add to the accounts of the toughness of PC. I accidentally left one of my dummy rounds for 300 blk in the pocket of a pair of pants and it went through the wash tonight. It came out of the washer with nary a scratch on the PC. All it did was shine up the brass a bit. So now you guys know, PC holds up to laundry detergent (Gain).