PDA

View Full Version : Looking for handsome motorcycle commute boots

7Acres
02-24-2014, 05:13 PM
Hi Fellas,
I over the past 6 months I have been commuting 100% on the motorcycle. I've now upgraded my gear over this time period from fair-weather gear to all-weather gear. The last item I need to get serious about are my boots. Currently I'm using black infantry Army boots. They work but they're pretty ugly when I'm in a professional setting or at church.
I'm just now starting to hunt for an ideal pair of riding boots that are handsome enough for wearing any time I need to be dressed up. I'm not going for the cowboy look though. Here's basically what my requirements are; and I'm not worried about spending some coin if they can last me a decade or more.

* Water-proof up to lower-calf
* Stitched on sole so I can get it replaced by a cobbler when it gets thin
* Real easy to slip on and off
* Handsome understated & masculine

I've never worn boots on a daily all-day basis like I am now. So my Boot IQ is very low. I don't know good boot brands or much about good boot construction. Can you guys help point me in the right direction? Any tips, suggestions or personal experience you can share would be helpful!

Artful
02-24-2014, 07:21 PM
Like this?
http://cruiserworks.com/Customer-Connections/Product-Reviews/Reviews-Favor-CruiserWorks-Motorcycle-Boots.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjh-_hbTVwA

I like side zippers
http://cruiserworks.com/Products/Footwear/CruiserWorks-Men-s-Side-Zip-Boots.aspx
or more formal.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Made in USA!

sidecarmike
02-24-2014, 09:57 PM
I also opt for dedicated riding boots, but they are not designed for walking. Better to carry a pair of loafers on the bike and change when you reach your destination.
FWIW, I wear Alpinestar S-MX2s or TourMaster Coasters, (which look just like your combat boots, but with a zipper down the side).

richhodg66
02-24-2014, 10:04 PM
I also opt for dedicated riding boots, but they are not designed for walking. Better to carry a pair of loafers on the bike and change when you reach your destination.
FWIW, I wear Alpinestar S-MX2s or TourMaster Coasters, (which look just like your combat boots, but with a zipper down the side).

I'd carry a pair of shoes too.

I have dedicated riding boots and commuted a lot last year 75 miles each way. I teach JROTC so have to wear Class B uniform most days. In my case, I could leave them in the office and change out of riding gear into work clothes.

I wear an old pair of cordovan colored ropers I like, but I have worried about whether they'd stay on in a get off situation.

mtnman31
02-24-2014, 10:44 PM
Get dedicated riding boots and change footwear when you get where you are going. If the boots are functionally protective they won't be appropriate looks wise in a professional setting. The ones that can get by as professional won't protect you or be waterproof. It's just the way it is. Anything other than footwear dedicated to the task is a compromise. Compromise either the functionality of the riding boots or the looks when off the bike. You did say a professional setting. Obviously riding boots would be appropriate for any number of jobs, I'm just picturing a shirt/tie setting.

Personally, I have a pair of Sidi racing boots that are just short of looking like Storm Trooper boots. I crashed years back wearing Dr Martens, thinking they were okay. My left foot/ankle has still never returned to 100%. I have no doubt that had I been wearing real motorcycle boots I would have been fine. Stay safe.

Zymurgy50
02-24-2014, 11:04 PM
I have 3 pair of the double HH boots, worked for a company years ago that paid for them as work boots. One pair can use new soles, one is well worn but lotsa miles left on them, and one pair are almost brand new.

starmac
02-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Well I bought a pair of baffin barrows today and throwed down the extra 50 bucks for some nice ice cleats. I don't think they would look to cool in church. I used to put 30,000 miles a year on a bike, as long as boots were somewhat water proof and could be resoled, I was happy. The ones I liked the best were justin elephant hides. At interstate speeds I always figured I would have far more troubles to worry about than what kind of boot I had on. I have to work at it to pull my boots off, when I want them off, I suppose if all the stars lined up perfectly, you could lose one in a mishap, but if thisgs ever went that far south, loosing a boot would have probably gone unnoticed.

Them double h boots are a pain to wear out, I bought 2 pair on sale four years ago, and one is still in the box.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-25-2014, 08:36 AM
them?

osteodoc08
02-25-2014, 10:57 AM
As mentioned, you need dedicated riding boots. I had a pair of Icon branded shoes that were about $125 and very comfortable and had bracing all throughout and were stiff. They were "not bad" to walk in for short distances, but didnt allow full articulation of the foot and ankle for comfortable walking. Going to the grocery store and stuff was fine or out to eat, but I wouldnt want to wear them all day. Wanted the Astars, but couldnt afford them at the time. I've since sold my bike. I miss it.

Bloodman14
02-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Look up a company called "LeatherUp" online; they have some harness boots that I just love. Beware, get a half size smaller than what you normally wear, they are cut on the full side.

WILCO
02-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Many moons ago, I would wear engineer boots when riding my Harley.
Never had an issue and I wore them out a time or two. Really hard to find a good cobbler these days.

19112TAP
02-25-2014, 12:47 PM
Wesco boot company sells a lot of their boots to motorcycle riders, I have been wearing them for a few years now and love mine.

seagiant
02-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Hi,
I didn't pick up what kind of bike you ride. I've always loved sport bikes even in my older age! I just dropped about $1000 on some riding gear from Motoport out in Kalifornia. Being big and tall, custom is the only way. For boots I bought some SIDI boots and they are very nice!