PDA

View Full Version : Raw indoor range scrap per pound?

Moonman
02-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Just inquiring, I may have a source.

osteodoc08
02-24-2014, 05:03 PM
I'd call the local reclaimers and see what they offer for lead and offer slightly higher than that and negotiate from there. Smelted COWW is going for around $1/# lately it seems here on the S&S

NewbieDave007
02-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Same as stated above. Don't forget that you will have waste and costs to haul and smelt. Good luck.

osteodoc08
02-24-2014, 05:22 PM
Oh yeah, dont trash your copper. Sell it to the scrap yard. If no one takes it (because its bullet jackets), I'm sure someone here can sell it to a scrapper for you and can decide how to split the proceeds.

RP
02-24-2014, 05:53 PM
I found here range lead money maker for me is the jackets the lead is a bye product. Yours smelting time for range lead is longer so you burn more gas so you smelting setup will make a big difference in labor.

Epd230
02-24-2014, 09:28 PM
I was just quoted a (wink wink-special price just for you) offer of .65-.75/lb the other day. I have yet to smelt, but I would think that at that price, I should just buy ingots here at $1/lb.

badgeredd
02-25-2014, 02:45 PM
I'd call the local reclaimers and see what they offer for lead and offer slightly higher than that and negotiate from there. Smelted COWW is going for around $1/# lately it seems here on the S&S

I've found this method is the best for myself. It takes into account the market avaiable to a seller and buyer and the LOCAL price fluctuations. I've been fairly lucky in establishing a fair price for myself and my supplier. There are others in the area that will pay more and occasionally my supplier does sell to them, but I always get scrap WW for a reasonable (for myself) price.

Edd

mold maker
02-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Even when just melting WWs don't forget to return the clips, Fe (iron), and zinc weights to the scrapper. Even though it doesn't pay much, it profits from an otherwise useless mess.

GlocksareGood
02-27-2014, 06:03 PM
I found that one out the hard way. Bought a 90lb bucket of range lead and got maybe 40lbs of lead. Took three forevers to melt the scrap down too. Between the time and the extra propane not really worth it even with selling jackets. COWWs still run just under 90% good hard lead return for my time and they melt and clean up quickly.

By weight, you will likely recover about 50% of the unprocessed volume in usable lead. 100 lbs of range scrap usually nets me 45-50 lbs of lead. Keep that in mind when making offers on scrap. Dirt, unburned powder, shotgun wads, and misc junk make up the balance.There are some pretty detailed threads here regarding this. I'd suggest checking the stickys above.

daniel lawecki
02-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Don't go over .50 a pound like many have said a lot of waste.

tbj555
02-28-2014, 10:06 AM
second on the, don't pay more than $0.50 a pound

mold maker
02-28-2014, 10:42 AM
The waste varies greatly with the scrap.
Some ranges have mostly 22 LR or cast boolits.
Others are mostly jacketed.
Some are even all jacketed rifle rounds.
Even the berm content contributes to the trash volume.
Each has a different yield.

tazman
03-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Mold maker wrote:Each has a different yield.

Very true. Yesterday I smelted a 102 lb bucket of range scrap. I got 74 lb of clean ingots out of it. I would call that a better than normal bucket though.