PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help finding a Levergun

kungfustyle
02-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Hello,
I'm looking for a 30-30 or 35 Rem lever gun and since I've never owned one what should I look for? What problems should I look out for? I've seen them from $300 to $400 on guntrader all the time. Is that the going rate? Is it worth it to get into it for that? aka Mossi, Winchester and Marlin. Looking for something that's a fun shooter that I can cast for and hunt with too (deer/hog). Thanks for your help.
Oh, buy the way, I would be looking a buying a used rifle. Thanks

retiredPO
02-24-2014, 04:14 PM
There is a Rossi 30-30 .. used, good shape, with Scope on Armslist for $400

Bullshop Junior
02-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Its hard to beat a marlin, but those new Mossberg 464 (not the tactical one) is a really nice gun for the money.

kungfustyle
02-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Also some great deals here: http://shop.williamsgunsight.com/products.aspx just pull up the caliber you want. Floridaguntrader.com
What I'm looking for is the warning signs to stay away from, etc

pietro
02-24-2014, 10:04 PM

IMO, there's no warning signs need for dealing with the Williams Gun Sight Co - They're upstanding folks to deal with, and would never steer a buyer wrong.

I'd recommend a Marlin 336 in either .30-30 or .35 Rem, as either cartridge is nice to load for, especially boolits - the MG barrels non-withstanding - and the Marlin designs are more take-apart friendly than a Winchester design.

starmac
02-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Personally I would look for an older marlin or winchester, if not in a hurry. Myself I like the old winchesters better, but I seem to be in the minority, and you can usually get into a marlin a little cheaper. Either will do you right in a 30/30, the 35 will have you looking at Marlins for a lever.

R.Ph. 380
02-24-2014, 11:21 PM
My lookin'fer gun right now is a Henry Lever in any reasonable 30 caliber. 30-30 probably my most wanted. I have a Winchester 94, Marlin and Glenfield.(Marlin in disguise). They all have their favorite little designs I love. Won't give any of them up.

Bill

Scharfschuetze
02-24-2014, 11:37 PM
Don't overlook the 32 Winchester Special. For a reloader it's a pretty good choice. That choice will necessitate buying an older firearm as I don't think that they chamber it anymore, but a nice old Winchester or Marlin is always a good choice. There is a concurrent thread about 32 Specials selling for quite a bit less than 30/30s so that might also be an incentive to look into the calibre.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?232294-Win-32-sp-Value

I might add that I'd stay away from a Winchester Model 94 made between 1964 and 1968. The quality of that genre can be an issue with broken firing pins and carriers, not to mention a plated finish on the receiver that can chip or look like it is rusting underneath. I saw more than one of them fail in the field or on the range while still in high school in the mid 60s. At the time, a gunsmith acquaintance made a bundle in warranty repairs to them.

More than one member here has reported quality issues with the newly made Marlins by Remington, but I have no experience with the "Remlins" other than what I've read. I suspect that they either have or will soon get their new production up to speed and make a good Marlin again. There are a couple of threads on the subject that you can search for here.

C. Latch
02-24-2014, 11:52 PM
With deer seasons freshly ended in most places, now is the time to haunt pawn shops for bargains.

A couple years back, I took a notion that I wanted a 30-30 and found a well-used but not abused 1975 model 336 in 30-30 for $250 out the door in a local pawn shop. I removed the cheap scope, installed a peep sight, and love it.

edit: and put me down as another vote of confidence for dealing with the Williams gun sight company. I've used their products and bought used guns from them with great success.

TXGunNut
02-25-2014, 12:21 AM
Just cruise the used gun racks in your area, wait until you find the one you want. 30-30, 32WS, 35 Rem, 358 Win, they're all great cast boolit rifles. Or come hang around with me, leverguns practically throw themselves at me. I have to keep an empty rifle case in the trunk of my car so they don't get dinged on the way home.

kungfustyle
02-25-2014, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the advice. Never heard of "RemLins" Great stuff.