PDA

View Full Version : Testing my 243 at 100yd

Randy C
02-24-2014, 02:22 PM
We tried to sight my 243wssm in again there is a lot of snow here so I cant use my 1/2 mi.long Range at home. It started out shooting to the right, we did some scope adjusting then the last three groups were the best and I finally hit the Bullseye, There was 2 of us shooting and we both shot groups less then a inch the wind was blowing at 26mph It was kind of cross wind with some harder gust and very cold out below 0. My back was out so I had a hard time standing up. I had to turn the TK. sideways to block the wind just to be able to stand up. I hope to do better with a little less wind next time.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k286/rd2560/IMG_0964.jpg

Blammer
02-24-2014, 08:54 PM
not bad

Randy C
02-25-2014, 06:33 AM
I shot the first group it was the worst of the bunch my neighbor tried to get out of the wind and that is the 2nd largest group, then we moved the suburban and adjusted the scope and he shot under a 1/2" I shot under 3/4 inch I'm guessing at center of group.

My back is out so we drove to the targets to check them, I found a safe place to set the target in the ditch back behind the farm it took less than a hour and I was wore out, I went to the doctor yesterday they gave me some cortisone pills for my back.

I'm going to pace myself and set my Corbin Press up and try and get some 22lr WMR and 17 cleaned with STM stainless media Model B tumbler. I may get lucky and have some good 243 rim fire bullets ready to shoot before my back is better, I need someone experienced to get me on the right track with this Corbin equipment. I've forgot most everything I've learned. We were shooting the bullet on top it's a 95gr. Nosler with 40 gr IMR 4350

missionary5155
02-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Greetings
Wind can sure play the varmit when trying to get things squared away. But if it is constant then you can do good at 100 yards.. which your load seems to do. I would think you have a good rifle to fill the freezer with.
I have a Remington 788 in caliber .243. Have to say it has always been my favorite "beyond 100 yards" varmit rifle. I have shot some 85 and 100 grainers in past years but where we live when up north there (Illinois) Varmits are all you can pop with center fire. But if we ever could do in white tail I would not hessitate to use a caliber .243 for across the field shots. I just do not see that happening in my lifetime. ILLinois is always 10 years behind in any good law.
Mike in Peru

Randy C
02-25-2014, 10:02 AM
The last time I tried to sight in the scope, the wind and snow was blowing bad I could hardly see the target at 35 to 40 yards. I cant see or shoot like I could when I was younger but a little practice and I hope to shoot one inch groups consistent.