PDA

View Full Version : LNL vs ProJector shellplate home conversion

cheese1566
02-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Thinking of doing the ProJector upgrade to a new LNL AP from Hornady for $200.
They want $10 per shellplate to convert to the new EZject system. I have about 10 plates to do...

From what I see, it is possibly just a groove cut under the shellplate for the EZject nub to ride in. I have never seen a new EZject shell plate to compare to my old ProJector ones.

Anyone convert there own?

(I have a capable lathe and could probably do my own.)

I got authorizations to send in my old Pro7 under the deal (adding $25 for no powder measure system).

They want $10 to convert my old Pro7 shell plates to the modern. These don't have the pressed spring ball gizmos so I will send these in for conversion. I however have two ProJectors and about 10 shell plates that I may want to swap onto the new LNL. I like these guys so I will probably keep the two ProJectors instead of trading those in. I only have room for one press at the moment so the LNL AP would get mounted and the two ProJectors would be put in storage.

Hardcast416taylor
02-24-2014, 04:47 PM
I just got off the phone with a sales rep at Hornady about swapping my Pro-Jector, by the way they need your presses serial number to know how old your press is. Yes, the $200 for each press is correct, and no she didn`t know how much longer this offer was good for. For my not having the priming system on the press that will be another $25. The re-working of each of my 9 shell plates will be another $10 each so they WILL FIT the new press - HER EXACT WORDS! The shell plates must be sent to a different location and can take 6 - 8 weeks and possibly longer - again HER words - to get back. So I would be looking at about $315 also the shipping cost of maybe $25 - $30 to make the change to a LNL press from what I am happy with now . I do believe I`ll continue to wear mine out, then I`ll have a large red paper weight.Robert

cheese1566
02-24-2014, 05:17 PM
My lady never asked for a serial number on the Pro7. I guess I would have to look to see if it even had one! She also never asked if it had any other parts except for a powder measure. I told her it didn't have one available and she stated it would add an extra $25. She gave me a RA# for the Pro7 and a seperate RA# for the 4 shell plates I have...even though she said I could place them all in the same box and ship to one address. I could include one check or money order for the cost $200+25+40=$265. I may include the old measure I have rather than keep it and save the extra $25 expense.

cheese1566
02-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Surprising too that we get different info from customer service on almost calling the same day too!
She did have to ask someone if they would convert the old Pro7 plates.

I am debating the deal,, but since I have the old gal in storage, what the heck. I wouldnt do it on my ProJectors as they work fine and I have some spare parts. The conversion of all my shellplates would kill the deal.

If I can convert all my other shellplates myself, it would be a sweet deal.

cheese1566
02-28-2014, 09:52 PM
well, I did the plunge and sent in my old no longer used Pro7. Hornady received it two days later. I had an old measure I could spare so it went along with it to keep costs down.
I included three old Pro7 style shell plates to convert over. See how long it all takes to get back.

I did finally find a couple threads on a machinist and ar15 forum about others modifying their own ProJector shell plates. I have learned they may be hardened, but I should be able to do it on my Lathe. Sounds like it would be easier on a mill with a rotary table which I don't have.

I may attempt it when I get the press and shell plates back to use as a guide.