PDA

View Full Version : 'nother computer problem

woody1
02-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I have Windows Vista Home Premium and using IE 9 I believe. My problem is that the internet won't stay up. Needs some ****** I guess. It just shuts down seemingly randomly. SOmetimes stays up for long time other times like earlier this AM 2 minutes tops. Any ideas? Regards, WOody

montana_charlie
02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Does your computer do everything else the way it should?
Does your computer ever shut down unexpectedly?
Have you called your internet provider to discuss this problem?

CM

dbosman
02-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Wired or wireless?
Wireless - you may need to move the router to a better location in your home. The new radio may be touchier than your previous computer.
Wired - have you rebooted the router? Disconnect the cable or DSL phone line, then shut down for five minutes. Power back up and see if life gets better.

Both - consumer grade routers are made at least cost. Most are only good for a few years.

Cmm_3940
02-24-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm sure you have power cycled everything by now. DSL or cable? If DSL, unplug all phone extensions to see if this makes a difference. A cheap phone going bad can mess up the line. Make sure DSL filters are properly installed on all extensions. Swap out the cable between the DSL/cable modem and the wall. If nothing makes a difference, call your ISP and complain. If that doesn't get you anywhere, dbosman is right. Most consumer routers are cr*p. borrow a friend's to see if that helps.

woody1
02-25-2014, 11:08 AM
DSL and I don't hardly know enough about this stuff to talk about it. I don't think it's the router. Wife's laptop and Kindle go thru it also and don't have problems. I think it's the computer I use. Regards, WOody

Have to make short posts and hope. Never know when it's going down. and I can immediately sign back on after it does.

jsizemore
02-25-2014, 12:03 PM
I had a similar problem with not being able to stay connected to the internet using Vista. I have a wired modem. I changed the modem, which wasn't the problem, and swaped the ethernet cable temporarily, also not the problem. I had to change the PCI adapter card, where the ethernet cable plugs into the computer, and problem solved. Tiger Direct for less then $20. Most of the big box outfits only carry wireless and if they do carry them they are usually out because of demand and wanting to sell you the whole wireless setup. Good Luck

dbosman
02-25-2014, 05:07 PM
My computer uses a wired connection, but we have wireless. Wired didn't work one day so I added a tiny USB wireless adapter.
Wired started working again, all by itself, two days later. Weird.

jsizemore
02-25-2014, 08:34 PM
I tried plugging my new pci adapter in the same socket on the motherboard and it still didn't work so I moved to the next socket and it went to working. I did try the old card in the new socket and it didn't work. All I can ASSUME was the socket and adapter went at the same time. Maybe poor conection caused arcing and carbon buildup over time.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-25-2014, 08:43 PM
I have Windows Vista Home Premium and using IE 9 I believe. My problem is that the internet won't stay up. Needs some ****** I guess. It just shuts down seemingly randomly. SOmetimes stays up for long time other times like earlier this AM 2 minutes tops. Any ideas? Regards, WOody
Woody,
I had the exact same problem on my old Laptop...as did a friend of mine.
the short answer is Vista has issues with IE9
I have cable Internet, plenty fast for everything I do.
It started when I upgraded from IE8 to IE9.
Internet slowed down to what seemed like Dialup internet,
random lockups...It took me forever to figure it out.
I "uninstalled" IE9 and when doing so, it asked to reinstall IE8
PROBLEM SOLVED.

when I got my new Laptop, last Sept, with windows 8
I started using Google chrome instead...I like it much better,
You could just quit the IE all together and go with Chrome or firefox.

Good luck,
Jon

thenaaks
02-25-2014, 08:49 PM
+1 on Google Chrome browser. It's free and fast (seems faster than ie8 or 9).

One way to determine if your computer is having browser problems, or internet connectivity problems, is by check the icon on the bottom right. The one that shows whether or not your computer is connected to the internet (wired or wireless). If you're having connectivity issues, there will be some indication there. If it shows everything is normal, then I would definitely swap browsers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Proof of Vista and IE9 issues

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-windows_update/internet-explorer-9-problems-with-vista-and/e3be4093-1963-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

while this thread dates back to 2011, fast forward to near end of this thread and read this techy's comments.
"June 25, 2013
Reply In reply to jaxy999's post on May 25, 2013
There is no solution. Microsoft has already stopped support for Vista (just not officially) since this problem dates back to IE 9 beta and not one solution that I can find fixes the problem other than reverting back to IE 8. They don't give a rat's **** about this problem. They are up to their ears dealing with all the Windows 8 complaints."

Roosters
02-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Is it a laptop ??
I have the same system on a laptop and when I setup a wireless router had the same problem.

This fixed it.
1- Click Start, type Power Options in the Start Search box, and then click Power Options in the Programs list.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.
2- Click Change plan settings under the power plan that is selected. For example, if the Balanced option is selected, click Change plan settings under Balanced.
3- Click Change advanced power settings.
4- In the Power Options dialog box, expand Wireless Adapter Settings, and then expand Power Saving Mode.
5- In the list that appears next to On battery, click Maximum Performance, and then click OK.

grampa243
03-06-2014, 08:32 AM
try chrome first if you can get in downloaded..

Geraldo
03-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Short answer is to quit using IE. My old laptop ran Vista and had problems with older versions of IE. Switched to Firefox and never looked back. I also use duckduckgo as my search engine.

Multigunner
03-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Slimbrowser seems to work when others don't
Its a freeware stripped down browser.

clyde-the-pointer
03-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Firefox for me. Don't forget to clean up those old files (delete) using disc clean up then disc defragmenter to get that system operating efficiently. Then restart.

woody1
03-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Can't hardly get on/stay on long enough to respond. Thanks for the replies. Tried some of the stuff. Still no worky. This is not a laptop it's vista home premium with a router, not wireless, to the internet. How do I get firefox? Regards, Woody

Oh and I'm back to ie7 now and it works sometimes but still never know when it'll dump me. I can sign right back up and get on again.

Im pretty sure it's not the router./ or the ie supplier. It's dsl thru the phone company.

uscra112
03-06-2014, 10:29 PM
www.mozilla.com

Download Firefox and install.

Then install Adblock and Ghostery to your Firefox to kill All those third-party popups and keep Google from recording all your search history.

Why anybody would offer themselves up bound hand and foot to Google is beyond me. Their O/S and browser are free because they are vacuuming up everything you do for their databases, which they then sell to advertisers.

woody1
03-11-2014, 02:24 PM
Installed Firefox. We'll see how it works. So far so good. Thanks to all. Regards, Woody

Big thanks to you all. Firefox is working and my ancient confuser survives!