PDA

View Full Version : Encore stocks

Marlin Junky
12-19-2007, 07:29 AM
I want to get an encore frame, etc. for my .35 Whelen barrel but can't decide whether to get the conventional Pro-Hunter butt stock or the Thumbhole. Which stock would be more comfortable for someone with average reach and thick, stubby fingers? Most of my shooting will be from the bench.

MJ

lathesmith
12-19-2007, 10:39 AM
I have used both, and can't really say one is better than the other. For me, for field use the conventional is a bit easier and slightly faster; off the bench I notice no difference. I believe this is a "less filling, tastes great" argument--it just depends on who you ask. I can say, however, that the recoil pad on the Pro Hunter stock really DOES absorb recoil rather well, and makes a session at the bench more pleasant.
lathesmith

Marlin Junky
12-19-2007, 03:47 PM
The Thumbhole is also a Pro-Hunter type stock which is new for 2007. Is this the Thumbhole you're referring to?:

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=5652

Thanks,
MJ

lathesmith
12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
MJ, I have not actually tried that TC Encore thumbhole, I was basing my comments on my experience with one for the Contender.
lathesmith

HEAD0001
12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
I really like the thumbhole stock. My off hand accuracy is definitely better. Off the bench it is also definitely better. The thumbhole also helps me reduce felt recoil to the shoulder. I have a friend with a bad shoulder and the thumbhole has definitely helped him out. Tom.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0319.jpg

Marlin Junky
12-19-2007, 05:53 PM
I really like the thumbhole stock. My off hand accuracy is definitely better. Off the bench it is also definitely better. The thumbhole also helps me reduce felt recoil to the shoulder. I have a friend with a bad shoulder and the thumbhole has definitely helped him out. Tom.

Tom,

Thumbholes are definitely worth considering but I'm not crazy about the mass of their grips which are usually larger in circumference and height. Too bad there's no shop around here that has Encores stocked both ways for the sake of comparison.

MJ

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi

If you are willing to (gasp!) modify the stock I would go for the thumb hole version. The risk you take on a sight unseen thumbhole is that it may not fit your hands. If your hands are a bit on the small side, the answer is pretty simple. It only involves simple tools and a bit of care.

Bob

Marlin Junky
12-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't think I'd enjoy a thumbhole stocked .35 Whelen if some of the recoil is absorbed by the trigger hand (especially the web of the trigger hand)... would this be the case?

MJ

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't think I'd enjoy a thumbhole stocked .35 Whelen if some of the recoil is absorbed by the trigger hand (especially the web of the trigger hand)... would this be the case?

MJ

Hi

I have never noticed it to be a problem with any of my thumbhole stocks. I think your hand pretty much follows the stock. On a heavy recoiling cartridge I tend to pull the stock back a bit into my shoulder with the hand that's on the trigger.

Bob

Marlin Junky
12-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the input. Is there any noticeable difference in feel when opening the action of a thumbhole stocked gun vs. a gun with the standard stock? I guess what I'm trying to say is one stock less clumsy than the other when opening and closing the action?

Thanks again,
MJ

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi

I have not tried them both. I would call the process "different" rather than clumsy. Clumsy isn't a bad word for it though.

Bob

Marlin Junky
12-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Hi

I have not tried them both. I would call the process "different" rather than clumsy. Clumsy isn't a bad word for it though.

Bob

Bob,

If you haven't tried both, then what are you comparing the loading/unloading process to? I'm assuming you're referring to the thumbhole stocked Encore?

MJ

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Hi

To clarify:

I have played with several Encores of both types in stores. I don't see a particular difference in the way both brake open. They seem to be very similar to the ocean of Contenders that I have had wander through here over the years.

The thumb hole that I have shot was not a problem to shoot, or to reload at the range.

Bob

HEAD0001
12-19-2007, 11:33 PM
I will admit that I have large hands. I can easily hold the rifle in one hand. Loading is no problem. I have never even noticed a difference. They also make a TH stock that is thinner, and can be gripped without having your thumb in the stock. Below is a picture of one. The stock on my Encore is made by Boyd's. The one below is made by Richard's Microfit. Tom.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0405.jpg

pa_guns
12-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Hi

Pictures?

Bob