PDA

View Full Version : New to casting need some advice..

77cutlass
02-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi, folks. New to forum last week. Been looking at it for years. I have been reloading on and off (now on and staying on!) for just about 30 years. I started around 19 or so and back then my friend had all the casting equipment. I was in printing and had an endless supply of linotype, so that was my contribution. Anyhow, I have recently set myself up to cast and set it up this past weekend. I bought a nice used RCBS Lube-A-Matic and ordered the top punches and dies that I needed. It had come with a .358 die and a 429 top punch in it. I remember that when I took the top punch out of it, even after taking the set screw completely out, the top punch came out hard. Now I ordered Lyman top punches and dies because I understand they are interchangeable. I cast up some 45's this weekend and went to put the Lyman 374 top punch in and again, with the set screw completely out, it goes in very hard like it doesn't want to go in. The other question I have for you guys is I am getting lube under the bullet after sizing it and it is making a mess of things. I beleive depth is OK since it is lubing just the two grooves. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your input....

Mike

badge176
02-24-2014, 12:06 PM
might be too much pressure in the reservior (cranking too much between boolits)... I swear that I'm going to build a frame with set pins so once i get it right, I can advance the ratchet to the first stop and then pull baack to the other... otherwise it's a "feel" thing

Flat based or Bevel Based boolit design? might be contributing to the issue

Hickok
02-24-2014, 12:16 PM
Like badge said may be cranking a little too much on the lube. What lube you using? As you gain experience you will get a feel for how much to ratchet the pressure on the lube.

I always have a rag at the bench when sizing and reloading, and just as a habit, I wipe the bottom of every boolit before seating it in the case.

Here's wishing you good results with casting boolits!!!

77cutlass
02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
I assume you are answering second question regarding lube below bullet. I even stopped cranking ratchet for quite but it didn't help. Bullet is flat based old Lee 452228 HP.

77cutlass
02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Hickok, it is Lyman Super moly. But, it hasn't got to it yet. The sizer still had some green lube in it. Wonder if it's Saeco lube? Not heating lube either.

Wayne Smith
02-24-2014, 06:58 PM
As far as the top punch goes try cleaning the hole. Some of us use lube to hold in the punch and it may build up to the point that it just won't go.

wv109323
02-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Top punches should be interchangeable and it should not a chore getting one out. Try cleaning first. If a no-go you may need to enlarge the hole with sandpaper. The problem you are experiencing with lube on the bottom of the bullet is common. Try a lube that is thicker or stiffer to get to flow. Also the "as cast size" of the bullet to the sizing die size affects how the lube flows. Is the size of the bullet actually larger than the sizing die. If there is clearance the lube will flow everywhere. Look at the sized bullet to see if the sides are in contact with your sizing die.

77cutlass
02-25-2014, 12:22 PM
wv109323, the bullet casts at .4545. Sizing to .452 and sides are sized and clean. It was just the bottom that was messy.

Walter Laich
02-25-2014, 01:37 PM
guessing here: if the base of the bullet is even with one of the holes in the sizing die you can end up with lube under the bullet--does this quite easily
I intentionally start my bullets high in the sizer and slowly lower the bullet into the die by lowering the rod at the bottom. This way I can get to the right depth without going too deep.
After that I measure how far the bullet protrudes from the top and that becomes my 'quick and dirty' measurement when reinstalling the die the next time

JMtoolman
02-25-2014, 07:31 PM
If I have a die that wants to lube the bottom of the bullets, I remove the pin in the center of the die and machine a shallow recess in the face of the pin leaving about a sixteenth of an inch rim on the outside. The recess doesn't have to be very deep thirty thousands deep or a bit more. This seems to seal on the edge of the cast bullet and stops a lot of the bleeding of the lube under the base. The toolman.