PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 45 Colt size die too small?

retread
02-24-2014, 02:08 AM
I have a RCBS carbide sizing die that measures .467 (ID of the carbide ring at the smallest point). One of my reloading buddies measures .468 also(Dillon). The second buddy's measures .472 (Hornady). I am loading on a Dillon and expanding the case mouth to .451. Considering the total combined wall thickness 0f .022, I am about .004 smaller than needed. With the Hornady however, I would not have to work the brass so much. My question is are the tolerances that different on a makers set of dies? Or does Hornady make theirs intentionally larger? If I knew I could depend on getting a .472 from Hornady I would order one, but my luck I would get it and it would mic out at .467. Anyone have any input?

Thanks, retread

osteodoc08
02-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Are you having an issue with loading brass that has gone through the sizer? I'm using dillon dies on a SDB and it does just fine. I have reloaded the starline brass i have on hand 10-12 times with moderate loads and the brass is still functional and working well.

Of course I try not to over think things and tend to leave well enough alone for my handgun ammo.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help. I'm not sure how that little of a difference would shorted or lengthen case life (if that was your ultimate question). I know in the past a forum member on THR asked for specs on dies from a major manufacturer and werent given any but asked to send in the die for inspection if there was a suspected problem.

JimA
03-02-2014, 02:19 PM
I have a RCBS carbide sizing die that measures .467 (ID of the carbide ring at the smallest point). One of my reloading buddies measures .468 also(Dillon). The second buddy's measures .472 (Hornady). I am loading on a Dillon and expanding the case mouth to .451. Considering the total combined wall thickness 0f .022, I am about .004 smaller than needed. With the Hornady however, I would not have to work the brass so much. My question is are the tolerances that different on a makers set of dies? Or does Hornady make theirs intentionally larger? If I knew I could depend on getting a .472 from Hornady I would order one, but my luck I would get it and it would mic out at .467. Anyone have any input?

Thanks, retread

My Hornady size die in .45 colt will allow a .452 boolit to slide in the case without any flare. It is .472 also. I think the Hornadys are all larger than the others. They may be set up for a .454 sized boolit.

Walter Laich
03-03-2014, 04:40 PM
email the company and ask them what the spec should be. Use that data and check yours (know you already have checked yours) go from there

Char-Gar
03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
In another time, long ago, when 45 Colt cases were sized they came out .477 on the body and .473 at the neck before expanding. These were in the days before carbide dies ruled the world.

The inside diameter of the unexpanded R-P case in the pic is .452. Stick a .452 or .454 bullet in there will a decent crimp and you are good to go. The RCBS die used was made in 1958. Depending on the bullet size I am using, I use a 310 tool with either a .452 or .454 M type expander.

Carbide dies when they came on line in the early 60's seem to hold great promise that case lube was now a thing of the past. At the clock rolled on, we found out the abolition of case lube came at a price, that being cases sized so much they wallowed around in the cylinder charge holes and gave shorter case life. The latter not a trivial thing in these days and times.