PDA

View Full Version : 615yards:Long-Range World Record Airgun Hit on 12oz Can

Butcher45
02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
This is where the bar has been set.....he has also achieved .2MOA@280yards with this rifle.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxalPh0FV7c

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxkgNlvs6Lw

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd9GXcrnZrM

mikeym1a
02-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Now, that's man-portable...........

HARRYMPOPE
02-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Good shot but the miss before the hit was not even close.I would like too see how it groups on paper at that distance.

Multigunner
02-24-2014, 03:25 PM
First two shots were low, but first was in line with the can.
The second shot looks to be less than a foot from the first.

All three shots would likely have stayed inside a human torso, though of course its unlikely anyone would be firing even an airgun of this power at a live target at that range.
The amount of dirt kicked up indicates enough energy to be lethal at that range on most small game or larger birds like a turky.

W.R.Buchanan
02-24-2014, 03:40 PM
This guy has a thread on here and this is not new.

But now that I can't find it I guess he removed the posts from this site, but any hit at 600 yards is a good shot even if it takes a few tries.

he owns a Grape Farm in Northern CA.

Randy

HARRYMPOPE
02-24-2014, 07:20 PM
I still would like to see under 1/4 moa groups on paper at 280 yards.I am not doubting it can be done but I want to see a paper target with two or three consecutive 5 shot group's to see the averages.

Butcher45
02-25-2014, 03:50 AM
Now, that's man-portable...........

Agreed....that's why I personally call set-ups like this "Turret Guns". Not really a pack-around hunting gun like, say, a tuned Sam Yang.

To keep things in perspective, keep in mind that this 615yard shot was being achieved using a self-cast 84 grain Ideal Spitzer at a measly 1080fps. When I plug that into the ballistic calculator, I see an extreme ballistic challenge hitting a 12oz can at 615yards with such a set-up AT ALL,.......let alone in three shots. Propelled by air.

RoachCreek has sold all his airgun stuff, and has moved-on to another chapter in his life. So we won't be seeing any paper groups from him. Oh, and he was living in Mid/Southern Oregon growing those grapes. Shooting in the videos was Eastern Oregon on his old property he sold years back.

Butcher45
02-25-2014, 03:59 AM
though of course its unlikely anyone would be firing even an airgun of this power at a live target at that range.
The amount of dirt kicked up indicates enough energy to be lethal at that range on most small game or larger birds like a turky.

This.....it was done, just to stretch the limit on the 12oz can record with an airgun, which I think was ?450+yards? with a much more portable/huntable set-up (AirForce Platform) owned/shot by Tofazfou.

HollowPoint
02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Any way you look at it, it's obvious that Long Range air gunning is slowly but surely inching its way closer to the lower end of the powder burner velocities that firearms started out with.

Another tell-tale sign is the fact that just like with the evolution of firearms, we've gone from the round-ball to the pellets and now to the more ballistically efficient projectile shapes we know as cast bullets.

I've been praying for a good tax return this year cause I've had my eye on one of the Airforce Condors so that I can use it as a platform for building something in the 7mm caliber. I'd love to build my own dedicated long range coyote air rifle with enough energy to bring down a coyote out to three hundred yards with a well placed shot.

The research I've been doing into big bore air rifles tells me that I may have stumbled onto a way to re-capture and re-cycle the expended HPA that would have otherwise just blown out into the atmosphere as wasted energy. It would require that I build my own regulators but, I don't have a problem with that. If it were to pan out for me, it would mean an increase of roughly 1.5 times the velocity and energy from a given setup.

At least one air gun manufacturer that I know if is using something like this already but they use it to cycle a semi-automatic action, not as a means of recapturing expended HPA that would be applied to the next shot in succession.

In regard to this 615 yard soda can hit. It really was impressive but, it would have been more so if it hadn't taken as many shots as it did to finally hit it. As fast as technology is evolving, it's only a matter of time before this 615 yard hit will seem like child's-play.

HollowPoint

melloairman
02-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Any way you look at it, it's obvious that Long Range air gunning is slowly but surely inching its way closer to the lower end of the powder burner velocities that firearms started out with.

Another tell-tale sign is the fact that just like with the evolution of firearms, we've gone from the round-ball to the pellets and now to the more ballistically efficient projectile shapes we know as cast bullets.

I've been praying for a good tax return this year cause I've had my eye on one of the Airforce Condors so that I can use it as a platform for building something in the 7mm caliber. I'd love to build my own dedicated long range coyote air rifle with enough energy to bring down a coyote out to three hundred yards with a well placed shot.

The research I've been doing into big bore air rifles tells me that I may have stumbled onto a way to re-capture and re-cycle the expended HPA that would have otherwise just blown out into the atmosphere as wasted energy. It would require that I build my own regulators but, I don't have a problem with that. If it were to pan out for me, it would mean an increase of roughly 1.5 times the velocity and energy from a given setup.

At least one air gun manufacturer that I know if is using something like this already but they use it to cycle a semi-automatic action, not as a means of recapturing expended HPA that would be applied to the next shot in succession.

In regard to this 615 yard soda can hit. It really was impressive but, it would have been more so if it hadn't taken as many shots as it did to finally hit it. As fast as technology is evolving, it's only a matter of time before this 615 yard hit will seem like child's-play.

HollowPoint
There is a reason for velocity for long range varmint hunting .Marvin
http://www.indiana.edu/~emusic/acoustics/speed.htm

robpete
02-25-2014, 02:19 PM
impressive. I have a hard enough time at that range with my 204

HARRYMPOPE
02-25-2014, 03:03 PM
A hit with a bit of luck(and if course a skilled shooter) and many shots is very far away from airguns hittiing soda cans at will as " child's play" at 600 yards.

35remington
03-19-2014, 11:32 PM
The yardstick for real accuracy is far greater than several ranging shots to land a hit at 615 yards. It's going to be a great many years before shooting a soda can at 1/3 mile and hitting it even more often than not is "child's play" with an air rifle. Given how winds affect a slow airgun projectile and the very lengthy time of time of flight and huge drop, landing a hit in a relatively few shots rather than many has a lot of dumb luck and cooperation from Mother Nature involved.

It is no mean feat to land a first shot hit with a centerfire rifle having way higher velocities and bullets with way higher ballistic properties on a soda can sized target at 615 yards. No children better be playing this game with airguns even many years from now. They'll go crying home to momma.

Said by a guy who's had to try to hit soda can size targets at that range. With a way, way more suitable rifle......not an airgun. Still ain't easy on the first shot. Or even the second. Let a guy try it, say, fifty times and tell us the percentage of hits. It's gonna be really low, now and well into the future.

03-20-2014, 12:40 AM
An air rifle at 615 yds? I'm impressed. Period.

HARRYMPOPE
03-20-2014, 01:21 AM
A hit on a soda can sized target @615 yards with a CF is pretty tough at that range in field conditions. You had better have a sub 1/2 minute gun and be a perfect wind reader.

Newtire
11-09-2014, 10:32 PM
If only Elmer Keith were alive to see this airgun shot...:kidding: