PDA

View Full Version : What alloy for 9mm 125gn defense boolit?

glw
02-23-2014, 06:31 PM
I have the Lee 120gn TC boolit mold that I cast for my 9mm. The boolit drops about 125 to 130gn. For a velocity of roughly 1050fps, what alloy would you recommend? I would like to have an alloy that will expand for personal defense.

I don't want to use a hollow point, nor do I want to use jacketed bullets. I don't have a way to test penetration, so I am hoping that someone here has already done that.

I have roofing lead (pure lead), pewter, cable lead (about 10bhn), coww, and magnum shot to work with.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!
Glenn

lwknight
02-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Well... with all the "I'm not gonna" all the good choices are out.
Just mix about 5% tin and let er rip.

jmort
02-23-2014, 07:16 PM
20 to 1 not a bad choice

tomme boy
02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
For hunting bullets, I like to have a bullet that is going to expand a little bit, but will leave one hole in and one hole out. You can say the hunting bullets are about the same as defensive bullets.

runfiverun
02-23-2014, 08:44 PM
looking in my crystal ball I see some compromise in your future.
1-k in a 9 doable.
soft lead in a 9 doable.
soft lead at 1-k in a 9 you'll need to make some small batches and work on it.

magnum shot and ww alloy [with some tin] is close to what I use in my 9's.
you have to compromise softness for diameter at some point.
water dropping will make up for a soft alloy. [kinda] but you have to have diameter to get them to work properly.

clintsfolly
02-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Use what ever shoots best as hitting is more important then what hits! That flat on the point will do the work. Clint

glw
02-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the info, folks. That is helpful to me. I will try a small batch of 20-1 and see how it sizes and shoots. Maintaining boolit size will be an important thing-thanks for that reminder! I chose the Lee 120 TC boolit because of its meplat size. I'm pretty sure that this boolit will make two holes, as even jacket hp defense loads do that.

Thanks again for the info. I'm learning a lot here!

Glenn

leftiye
02-25-2014, 07:45 AM
Or anneal the noses of alloy boolits. It will allow higher velocities (better expansion). You might get a gas check design too. I use Tempilaq 300 degree paste. Set in water on metal plate hit with pencil torch or other until Tempilaq melts, move on. Don't set them too close together. Test for expansion before staking your life on them?

Hickok
02-25-2014, 08:20 AM
I too carry boolits in my handguns for defensive ammo. I depend on a good meplat and penetration rather than expansion. Placement is key.