PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point Carbine; what do ya think about these ugly looking boolit launchers?

Animal
02-23-2014, 06:09 PM
My nephew just picked up a Hi Point 40 S&W pistol today. It was probably the ugliest looking pistol I ever held. It looked like it was made by PlaySchool and the magazine looked like it was made out of legos.

I loaded the mag with Winchester white box ammo, took 9 shots and... I'll be dammed! It fired like a grown mans gun! In fact, I thought it did better than my dads Smithy.

So I went to there website and found that they make carbine rifles too. I always liked the idea of a .45acp chambered carbine for home security. I think it would be fun to shoot and my wife could handle it better than an AK or AR, and probably better than my 1911. I wouldn't expect to use it at ranges much over 30 yds. They are cheap, ugly, but seem to have a reputation for being reliable. Hell, they are also made in the USA! Nothing pisses me off more than not being able to afford nice American made fire arms on an American made middle class paycheck.

I wouldn't be interested in dressing it up. I'd like to keep it bare bones. Tritium style sights, sling, and that is the most I can see doing.

Oh, and do they shoot cast? thats a biggie. If you have handled one of these enough to give a honest opinion, please share.

thekidd76
02-23-2014, 06:13 PM
My buddy has 3 of the .40 carbines. He doesn't shoot cast, but he swears he loves these things. I think for the price, if they are reliable they may be worth having 1 or 2 around in case the SHTF.

Bored1
02-23-2014, 06:19 PM
I know several people who have them and love them. Plus Hi Points all have a LIFETIME warranty, and the service people are polite and nice to boot!!!

For the price point don't know how you could go wrong.

One friend of mine bought a .45 acp hi point pistol for a boat gun, he wanted something cheap in case he happened to drop it in the lake in the middle of the night, during one of his many overnight boating excursions. He liked it so much, he bought another to keep in his RV.

6bg6ga
02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?190103-Hi-power-995TS&highlight=power

I already have a thread going

CastingFool
02-23-2014, 06:25 PM
I belonged to a High Point forum for a while. Every one there really liked theirs. HighPoint has a very good customer service system in place. Their warranty is extended to the 3rd owner! Most of the guys that sent their pistols in, were very happy for the results. I have one in 45 acp. Shoots factory ammo w/o problems, cast is another story, but I haven't devoted as much time as I could have. A lot of guys reported going to ranges and shooting side by side with other guys that owned more expensive guns and the HPs shot just as well or sometimes even better than the more expensive guns. One word of caution, when you clean your HP, all you need is some kind of aerosol gun cleaner, just spray the heck out of it, use an air compressor to blow off the excess, swab the bore, and you're good to go. The factory recommends you don't disassemble your gun.

Animal
02-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Wow, this might be a good SHTF gun huh? That is exactly what I was hoping for.

Animal
02-23-2014, 06:32 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?190103-Hi-power-995TS&highlight=power

I already have a thread going

Thanks for that. Good info there! BTW, beautiful shepherd in your avatar.

runfiverun
02-23-2014, 06:39 PM
they handle cast just fine too.
I have a 9m carbine version and would love to get a couple of 40-50 round mags for it.
it takes all kinds of rounded nose boolit styles and shoots them pretty accurately quickly.
the sights are a bit rough, but easily effective on 6-8" plates out to about 50 yds.
if I needed some close combat type shtf carbines that I could keep fed cheap I'd be all over a groups worth of them. [if I could get the higher cap. mags]
if I run across a couple of 45's or another 9m i'll buy it without hesitation.

oh 358 diameter is a good one to go with for the 9.
the 40 might want something more like 402.

gon2shoot
02-23-2014, 07:19 PM
the son-in-law has one, it's cheap, it's ugly as sin. I may have to get me one.

perotter
02-23-2014, 07:22 PM
I got a new 9mm carbine 5+ years ago. Liked it well enough that I picked up a few more used ones.

A warning and it may not apply to you. But if there is a female shooter about, she might take it away from you and claim it for herself. This very common. Then you'll have to go and buy another one for yourself. Consider yourself warned.

waksupi
02-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Hi Points are to handguns, what AK47's are to rifles. They just work when you need them to.

carbine86
02-23-2014, 07:39 PM
I had one of the 995ts models that I traded away a little over a year ago. I still miss and semi-regret trading it even though I traded up and by up I mean way up.

Animal
02-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Here is a question about cast handloads:

I've stayed away from powders like Blue Dot in my .45 government 1911 simply because it doesn't sound logical and efficient for a low pressure round like the 45acp. I find that powers like Clays and Red Dot are plenty fine for what I want to achieve. I like it in my magnum loads however.

Is it safe to say that I'll get good performance with Blue Dot loads due to the longer barrel? I like to shoot the Lee 452-228-1R in my 1911. I'm curious what this boolit would do behind a slow powder with a much longer barrel.

Animal
02-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I got a new 9mm carbine 5+ years ago. Liked it well enough that I picked up a few more used ones.

A warning and it may not apply to you. But if there is a female shooter about, she might take it away from you and claim it for herself. This very common. Then you'll have to go and buy another one for yourself. Consider yourself warned.

That will be a welcome predicament. I'd like to have something that my wife will enjoy shooting and enjoy becoming familiar with. When the SHTF, I'll need someone to cover me!

sidecarmike
02-23-2014, 08:39 PM
I have a 995. In the past I had a JHP (45ACP pistol) and a C9 (9mm Pistol). I've yet to have a misfire from any of them. I gave the C9 to my son, to teach his girlfriend to shoot, and gave the 45 to a friend for a retirement gift. I won't part with the 995. I had one, gave it to a friend, and went into withdrawal pains. The only thing that cured it was to go buy another one.
I also have experience with the warranty. I got both pistols at the same time. Every now and then, when I inserted a magazine, it wouldn't catch. You'd have to smack it to latch. Not often, but every now and then. If the other gun did the same, I would have just lived with it. Since it didn't, I called the toll free number for the factory. They insisted that I send it in for inspection. I still remember that it was December 22 when I shipped it and had it back in hand on the 26th, with an extra magazine, "for my trouble". They replaced the magazine catch and returned it over the Christmas holiday, in 4 days!
BTW, I also have a CX4 Storm. One is no more accurate or dependable than the other. The only real advantage to the CX is the 17 round magazine. The 995 only holds 10.

Wis. Tom
02-23-2014, 09:57 PM
I have a 995, enjoy it, and it handles 124 gr. lead RN, no problems. It would be nice if you could get bigger mags than 10, but I go through enough ammo as it is.

rodok
02-23-2014, 10:07 PM
I have all 3 calibers and they all shoot without a hiccup with cast bullets. They are pretty easy to find used and I think the reason behind that is if you buy factory ammo they get real expensive fast, they love to eat the ammo. They are a lot of fun to shoot!

crazy mark
02-24-2014, 07:25 PM
I have 2-45's. One in pistol and one in carbine. Both shoot real good. Cheap fun I say. Don't plan on selling mine anytime soon. The pistol is a headboard gun.

perotter
02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
I have a 995, enjoy it, and it handles 124 gr. lead RN, no problems. It would be nice if you could get bigger mags than 10, but I go through enough ammo as it is.

I too wish it had a 15 round mag. But whenever it is more than just a passing thought, I have to remind myself that when I shoot it I only load 5 in the magazine anyway.

6bg6ga
02-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that. Good info there! BTW, beautiful shepherd in your avatar.

The shepherd is my baby. I have two of them.

The 4595's shoot cast fine. I run 230 RN with 5.6gr of 231 or 5.2gr of 231 with 200gr SWC's

The 9 round and 14 round mags are the only ones you will be able to find these days. The 14 round mags require a slight change in the lip angle in order to feed all day long non-stop. The rumored drum mag is going to be one that is extremely hard to find and pricey when you do at roughly $100 for a used one. They may not have the range that a 5.56 has but then again their cheap to buy and very cheap to shoot when you cast your own and do your own reloading. Ugly? Hell yes but thats part of the fun of owning one.

I have tried different bullet lengths as long as I could run them thru the mag and it takes them so its not finiky when it comes to length.

R.Ph. 380
02-24-2014, 11:57 PM
My 995 TS is just flat out fun. And I got it for $100.00 used. What's not to like?

sidecarmike
02-25-2014, 12:15 AM
I few other comments. First off, if you buy a used gun, call the factory and ask them to check it out. Even if you know there is nothing wrong. You'll have it back in a week, they'll send you a free magazine, and I've known a couple guys who got a new gun back if the tech found something he didn't like. The lifetime warranty covers any and all owners, no matter how many times the gun changes owner. You're not doing anything underhanded. The factory encourages you to send it in. All it will cost is the shipping to get it to Ohio.
Second is that carbine magazines fit fine in the handguns. The 995 holds ten rounds while the C9 only holds 7 if I remember correctly. I only had a couple mags for my pistol, but have a dozen rifle ones.
I never had carbines in other calibers, but I'm told it holds true for all of them. Of course, the shorter pistol mags won't fit the rifle.

crawfobj
02-25-2014, 01:25 AM
If the .45 carbine used 1911 mags I'd have one by now and I bed they'd have an even harder time keeping up with production. Still planning to get one soon.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 07:09 AM
If the .45 carbine used 1911 mags I'd have one by now and I bed they'd have an even harder time keeping up with production. Still planning to get one soon.

If memory is correct the cost of the 14 round mags for a 4595 is only $19.95 ea plus shipping from Midway. Having modified several 1911 mags for use in the gun I wish now that I hadn't done so.

Finster101
02-25-2014, 07:40 AM
I have the 9mm, bought it used. It has had nothing but cast in it since I got. No issues at all. I use the Lee 124 RN and the 358-105 both over 4grns of Promo. I like the open sights, it's honestly hard to miss with it in a steel match.

6bg6ga
02-25-2014, 07:49 AM
I have the 9mm, bought it used. It has had nothing but cast in it since I got. No issues at all. I use the Lee 124 RN and the 358-105 both over 4grns of Promo. I like the open sights, it's honestly hard to miss with it in a steel match.

I pulled the steel sights off mine and put a red dot /green dot scope with a 3X multiplier on it. I don't miss anything with it.

The only negative comment I can make on the gun is the nasty trigger pull. Pulls hard and seems like 1/2" of pull before anything happens. This can be helped by taking it apart and polishing the trgger group.

They shoot everything you put into them. Ugly as hell and I like mine.

Shiloh
02-26-2014, 02:59 PM
Economical and functional rifle. Good bug-out gun if the SHTF.

Shiloh

Garyshome
02-26-2014, 03:06 PM
I would like to get in on the Hi Point train. 40 S&W would be good with me...got lots of brass, And I would need a pistol to go with it! All for under $500.00 or maybe $400.00, or maybe a little less? Now a days the pistol is even cheaper then a Mosin.

gtgeorge
02-26-2014, 03:31 PM
I love my 995 and would love a 45 as well. Not the 1st problem in thousands of rounds and plain fun to shoot. I don't think you could go wrong with adding one to the herd.

ipijohn
02-26-2014, 09:03 PM
I bought a 9MM carbine about a year ago to shoot pins with. It is a very good pin gun when used with a red dot for fast target acquisition. My wife picked it up at the range last Sunday and didn't put it down until she had shot 300 rounds through it. Looks like she is going to shoot pins with it also on March 8th. It likes any thing I feed it but it's main diet is 125 grn Lee RN or NOE 125 grn HP's both powder coated, over 4.2 grn of HP 38.

Animal
02-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Knowing what I know now, I might just wait for a good deal on a used one to show up. I've traded items for broken tools that had a lifetime warranty, got them replaced for free. Sounds like I can do the same thing with the Hi Point.

farmallcrew
03-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Had one of these in 9 and 40. Both shot really well. I was at a buddies and we were shooting clays out into his cow pasture, there were a couple clays that were out of reach with the shot gun. So i picked up either on the 9 or 40 and out to 100 yrds i could hit a beer can. Its a shame i needed money and sold a lot of my neat toys off.

In my book Hi Point Carbines are really good. The pistols are boat anchors.

454PB
03-04-2014, 01:41 PM
I bought a JCP 40 just because I had a big pile of components and no .40 S&W. It's kinda like having an ugly girlfriend that is GOOD at everything else, you don't want to show her off, but you're going to keep her.

I'm not a fan of magazine disconnects or striker fired handguns, but it's easy to eliminate the magazine disconnect. The first disassembly is challenging, but easy after that.

Old Ironsights
03-05-2014, 08:43 AM
I still have a hard time imagining HOW one would carry one of those clunky, chunky beasts (other than thug-style)... but the carbines do have a certain WW-Z panache...

6bg6ga
03-05-2014, 08:47 AM

You can easily modify a 1911 mag to work in the 45 carbine. I have several.

Old Ironsights
03-05-2014, 08:54 AM
You can easily modify a 1911 mag to work in the 45 carbine. I have several.

I think the point/intent/better option would be to modify the carbine to take stock magazines.

What's the point of a handgun/carbine pair that can't share mags?

beezapilot
03-05-2014, 09:00 AM
Not to add dischord, hijack or other wise- the MechTech conversion kit is a nice alternative too- field strip your 1911 or Glock, reassemble with a conversion kit- less than 3 minute change over. Use the magazines that you already have with lowers that have parts available most everywhere.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php

I've a friend with Hi-Points, he likes them well enough, but....

Old Ironsights
03-05-2014, 09:24 AM
But it's not a CHEAP WW-Z option.

Hell, I remember a GREAT little 1911 upper that turned your sidearm into a .308 sandbag gun too... but it was too niche/expensive to be market worthy.

The HiPoints are, for lack of a better metaphor, US's AK-47... Cheap enough and reliable enough for anyone...

Prospector Howard
03-05-2014, 10:18 AM
ProMag makes 15 round mags. I have 4 of them and they all work good. My 995 shoots lead good, but to get good accuracy I size them to .358. I noticed the barrel is a little big for 9mm. I did have a problem with it and sent it back to the factory last summer. They fixed it and sent it back right away. Good customer service.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699289/promag-magazine-hi-point-995-995ts-carbine-9mm-luger-15-round-steel-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

6bg6ga
03-06-2014, 07:34 AM
I think the point/intent/better option would be to modify the carbine to take stock magazines.

What's the point of a handgun/carbine pair that can't share mags?

I made a simple point and that was you can modify 1911 mags to work in the carbine. If the SHTF and you found yourself magazine short and you had a surplus of cheap GI grade mags that you purchased years ago these can be modified to use in you carbine. If it hit the fan I'b be carrying the U.S. Made AK47 substitute with all the mags I could fit on my body.

I don't believe there are many carbines and pistols out there that can share the same mags and if the SHIF your not going to have time to go shopping to secure a set of guns that will share mags.

6bg6ga
03-06-2014, 07:39 AM
ProMag makes 15 round mags. I have 4 of them and they all work good. My 995 shoots lead good, but to get good accuracy I size them to .358. I noticed the barrel is a little big for 9mm. I did have a problem with it and sent it back to the factory last summer. They fixed it and sent it back right away. Good customer service.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699289/promag-magazine-hi-point-995-995ts-carbine-9mm-luger-15-round-steel-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding
The people at High Point made the 9 round mags to satisfy some of the bans on capacity if the info I found was correct. The 9mm and 40 cal I believe have the 15 round capacity and the 45acp is only 14 rounds.

My (14 round mags) of which I bought several from Midway did not feed. Simply putting a slight bend on the mag lips (did this myself) made them both feed.

kywoodwrkr
03-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Do you know of a reliable way to determine if the Pro-Mag is a current rendering or one of the earlier ones which didn't work well?
Speaking mostly to ordering online(communication) but also gun show(visual) option as well
What specifics should one look for? Follower color? Cuts in body?
Pro-mag have a warranty anything like Hi-Point in this regard?
Thanks.

Crash_Corrigan
03-09-2014, 03:51 AM
I had one in 9 mm. It was a pistol. It plain worked everytime. It was butt ugly. It was big and heavy but perfect for home defense or a car or truck or boat gun. It was accurate and dependable and it was very cheap. I regret selling it but I did not lose much money when I sold it off. I got to shoot it for two years and it only cost me $15 for that period of time. I would chose something else for concealed carry as that thing is heavy and big. I don't think a Desert Eagle 50 cal is much bigger or heavier but I know it is a lot prettier and about 10 times the cost of a Hi-Point.

I have 4 9's today: EAA Witness Match Elite, Sig Sauer SP 2022, Browning Hi-Power ('82) and my Ruger Blackhawk 38/357/9mm convertible in 4 5/8" bbl. The EAA Witness and the Ruger are both dead on accurate. The Sig and the Browning are just a little less accurate but the Browning is a joy to carry and shoot but the Sig has the double/single action thing down pat and with a 17 round magazine, night sights and a laser it means business and will get the job done at any range on a man sized target out to 50 yds or further in a pinch. The Witness has a fantastic trigger and good sights and the Ruger is just plain fun to shoot with any rounds. However with all the 9 mm brass to be had I usually use the Luger rounds over the .38's. Then again, with 357 Mag rounds I can reach out a mite further and do some damage with assurance. However by that point I should use a rifle or take cover and call for help or both. I usually keep a 12 gauge pump and a .223 Rem CZ 527 in the trunk of my car for such occasions.

Prospector Howard
03-09-2014, 10:44 AM
From what I've read on the reviews and on different sites, the 15 round mags didn't work well with older style guns and pro mag worked the bugs out so the newer mags work better. I started with one mag just in case. When it worked good I bought 3 more, and they work good too. I wouldn't buy an older or used mag. They aren't that expensive new anyway. Start with one new one, and if it works, buy more if you want. The only thing I did to them was put a set screw on the plastic spacer so the mag doesn't slip through when you're holding just the spacer and it has rounds in it. Learned that the first time I loaded it and it slipped through and fell in the dirt.
Do you know of a reliable way to determine if the Pro-Mag is a current rendering or one of the earlier ones which didn't work well?
Speaking mostly to ordering online(communication) but also gun show(visual) option as well
What specifics should one look for? Follower color? Cuts in body?
Pro-mag have a warranty anything like Hi-Point in this regard?
Thanks.

dverna
03-14-2014, 06:41 PM
I purchased a Kel-Tec for my gf and she had a lot of trouble pulling pack the bolt.

Does the HI-Point have the same issue?

Thanks,

Don Verna

6bg6ga
03-14-2014, 07:36 PM
I do not know how many lbs it takes to pull the bolt back. Its going to take some however because of the blowback design.

jaystuw
03-20-2014, 12:39 AM
The older 9 mm carbine , is a rather infamous gun. But I still want one. Do they make new post band 10 round mags for the older 995? if so,do they fit/work good? Jay

6bg6ga
03-20-2014, 05:51 AM
The older 9 mm carbine , is a rather infamous gun. But I still want one. Do they make new post band 10 round mags for the older 995? if so,do they fit/work good? Jay

From what I have seen in my neck of the woods ANY aftermarket magazine for one of these carbines needs to be tweeked in order to work correctly. The factory mags seem to work fine.

u_235
03-30-2014, 08:17 AM
I purchased a Kel-Tec for my gf and she had a lot of trouble pulling pack the bolt.

Does the HI-Point have the same issue?

Thanks,

Don Verna
I have a 40 and 45 Hipoint carbine, and they both are pretty easy to cycle. When they are new they are a bit stiffer, but after a few hundred rounds and some lubrication it cycles much easier. Both of mine shoot great with good reliability, although my 40 is a little sensitive to OAL and bullet profile for feed reliability. The 45 eats whatever I put through it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-30-2014, 11:50 AM
After reading the entire thread, the biggest thing that comes to my mind is why they didn't just make the gun accept commonly available double stack magazines such as Glock or Para Ordnance double stacks. Both of those magazines are commonly available in multiple calibers/sizes and are very reliable.

Tis a shame. I really like the gun, but don't like high cap single stacks magazines, just too long.

Old Ironsights
03-30-2014, 10:16 PM
After reading the entire thread, the biggest thing that comes to my mind is why they didn't just make the gun accept commonly available double stack magazines such as Glock or Para Ordnance double stacks. Both of those magazines are commonly available in multiple calibers/sizes and are very reliable.

Tis a shame. I really like the gun, but don't like high cap single stacks magazines, just too long.

Easy. Licensing fees.

Finster101
03-31-2014, 06:40 AM
The carbine is basically their pistol with a stock and longer barrel. If you have looked at both, it is very easy to see. 10 rds is usually enough for me. I might try on of the 15s sometime but I have seen mixed reviews at the range. I do love shooting the Lee 358-105s in mine. Nice clean holes and they bang a steel plate just fine.

HarryT
03-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Quit your whining and get out your Dremel tool and JB Weld. (Soumi 72 round drum adapted to Hi-Point magazine)
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f274/pics-how-i-did-suomi-72nd-drums-293609/

If you do this, you can complain about only getting 63 shots from your high capacity magazine.
Just about everyone who has a Hi-Point firearm wishes for a double stack magazine. The Hi-Point company isn't going to make a double stack receiver so we can either live with it or get creative.

frkelly74
03-31-2014, 10:32 PM
So I went looking tonight and here is what I found. I can get a 45 Hi Point carbine immediately from the rack at the LGS and walk out of the store with it for about $340 with one magazine and no bells and whistles. I held one and it whispered to me. A surprising thing that I found out was that Dunhams has gone snob and doesn't carry Hi point arms any more. I guess they think they are Dicks or something. I asked the guy at MC sports to get me a price and he took my name and is going to call me tomorrow. MC Sports had one of the 45 pistols and I looked at it and I think it could be a good gun to have, given the company service and the price was $189, with a gun safe included. I also found out that if Gander Mountain had one they would be happy to sell it for around $800. So would I.

freebullet
03-31-2014, 10:54 PM
340$...Fer not much more $$$ you can assemble an ar in those calibers.

Crawdaddy
03-31-2014, 11:08 PM
I got into this late and don't want to read the whole thread.

I have one in 9mm and my only complaint is that it isn't a 45. These are a blast to shoot. I love it.

One thing that is interesting is that the vibration on the polymer stock tends to sting when touching my cheek. Weird, I have never experienced it before.

454life
03-31-2014, 11:34 PM
I love my HiPoint carbine. I traded it for an old Marlin Glenfield bolt action .22 that I was into for about $70. It was the old style "monkey gun" and it had been kicking around under the seat of a local loggers truck for the last 15+ years so it was pretty beat up. I picked up the ATI stock for it and now it is pretty bad ***. It has a halo sight and I am going to add a forward grip. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/01/vu9u9u6y.jpg

Garyshome
03-31-2014, 11:45 PM
I want one in .40 bad!

rondog
04-01-2014, 12:22 AM
All I can say is what I've said many times. I have three HP carbines, two 995 and one 4095. All equipped with red dot sights, all very reliable, all boringly accurate, all great fun, and all very ugly. They're not the prettiest girls at the prom, but boy can they dance!

frkelly74
04-01-2014, 12:25 AM
I wondered how reasonable that price ($340 out the door) seemed to others.

6bg6ga
04-01-2014, 06:47 AM
Quit your whining and get out your Dremel tool and JB Weld. (Soumi 72 round drum adapted to Hi-Point magazine)
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f274/pics-how-i-did-suomi-72nd-drums-293609/

If you do this, you can complain about only getting 63 shots from your high capacity magazine.
Just about everyone who has a Hi-Point firearm wishes for a double stack magazine. The Hi-Point company isn't going to make a double stack receiver so we can either live with it or get creative.
I think the average owner would want a magazine that would function correctly. I can have a number of the 14 round 45acp magazines for what your going to have invested in the drum magazine and your time. Remember the gun needs to be fairly light and its gaining a few lbs with 50+ rounds hanging under it. I'll stick with the reliability of the 14 round magazine.

Finster101
04-01-2014, 06:50 AM
I wondered how reasonable that price ($340 out the door) seemed to others.

That is a reasonable price. It doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles to get the job done. I ordered a red dot for mine when I got it and after shooting it never put it on. I can run 5 plates at the steel shoot in just under 3 sec. from a low ready and not have to worry about batteries. You can find factory mags pretty cheap on line. I have no reason to fiddle with the 15 rounders the factory ones work every time so I will stick with that. I did take some dense foam and make pads for the bottom of the mags to make them easier to seat though. I am very happy with the rifle it is a blast to shoot and right now I can shoot 9mm cheaper than .22. Go for it, get one!

RobsTV
04-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi-Point 4095TS using cheap 4x scope was hitting 1" groups at 100 yards the first time out, but it was by accident. Had cast some Lee 175gr TC, fairly hard around 19 bhn, but then switched to a Lee 155gr hollow point by Erik for use in a S&W 40 Shield, Hi-Point 40 JCP and the 4095TS. The 175gr Lee worked O.K. in all three 40's, but nothing special, and slight leading the Shield, so planned to shelf that mold and do soft HP's. Plan was to dispose of (shoot in the 40 carbine) the hard lead 175gr while testing other guns at 100 yards. To cure leading issues with a S&W Shield 40, I usually add PB gas checks before loading, but had never tried these with the 175gr in the carbine until this disposal session. The 175gr hard lead GC boolits hit 1" groups without really trying. Better than an M1 .30 Carbine and about the same as a K98 tested same day. Needless to say, the mold is now cranking out 175gr hard lead boolits w/PBGC for use in the Hi-Point carbine.

Couple years ago, picked up a Hi-Point 9mm pistol for $100, seeing as out of a couple dozen guns, didn't own any 9mm, and wanted to see what the Hi-Point 9mm fuss was about. Even today, it is amazing how accurate it is at distances of 25 yards or less. Easily beats all our other handguns, including my S&W 4506-1. Someone else said the term boringly accurate, which sums up these hi-points nicely.

As a testament to reliability, out of all the choices we could choose from for our nightstand, the Hi-Point 40 JCP is what we depend on (at least on my side). The M1 .30 Carbine is always close by for home use, while the 4095 TS is more of a fun range carbine.

frkelly74
04-07-2014, 07:27 PM
I sprung for a 9mm hi=point carbine. It was cheap, It's a plane jane and is hideous. But as everyone is saying , it shoots! I have already put some cast loads through it that I had left over from another project a few years ago. This was using the lee tumble lube cone point boolit and they all went where I shot them. they seemed a little under powered for the semi auto function but they did all go. Brass seems to de-materialize on ejection somehow so I ended up just picking up the fellows brass who was shooting at the next station. His was better anyway. Dies and a mold have been traded for so I will be up and running pretty soon with it. I really needed another thing to deal with besides the move we are facing in the near future. I want to shoot some of those Burmese pythons they got crawling around in Florida.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-07-2014, 09:19 PM
You guys keeping talking good about these carbines and I'm going to be forced to buy one in .45ACP. I've always wanted a small carbine in that caliber and looked real hard years ago at one that accepted grease gun magazines, but the company mostly sold the pistol version and I wanted a carbine with a longer barrel to gain the velocity advantages. This little rifle may fill the bill if I can find it cheaply enough.

bdecker9
04-10-2014, 11:47 AM
I love my 995. Amazing how much flak good cheap products get. My 995 shoots awesome groups. And yes blue dot does some amazing things for this gun I would definitely try it in it 45. I have the 40 to, but the wife stole that from lmao. We don't shoot the 40 as much, no .401 molds here yet. The barrel on mine is really tight and gets a good grip on the boolits. Almost can't make it lead. Just wish it had 100 round mag lol.

bdecker9
04-10-2014, 11:54 AM
I paid 220 for both of mine. Used hi points are better than new. They re-newerize, them when u send them back for free and u get extra mag. Try to find used if u can. They are 300 aft tax at my lgs.

Smoke4320
04-10-2014, 12:13 PM
great gun easy to shoot and reliable .. They also stand firmly behind their lifetime warranty..
they are just a fun gun to shoot and don't break the bank